So I have a blues jr. here that's acting really strange, and I don't know much about amps so it would be awesome if some of you guys could help me out. Every time I turn on the amp the left most EL84 lights up with what seems to be a bright white purplish flame inside and the amp is crackling. I've looked everywhere for some info on what the problem might be but to no avail, anybody know what the issue might be? a simple tube swap maybe? If it would help I could post a video, thanks in advance guys.
You need to replace the pair. Power tubes need to be matched.

It might be the socket instead of the tube, but you might as well get a backup set of tubes first, they're the best diagnosis and you should always have spares anyway.
Quote by Roc8995
You need to replace the pair. Power tubes need to be matched.

It might be the socket instead of the tube, but you might as well get a backup set of tubes first, they're the best diagnosis and you should always have spares anyway.

Big +1

If you had a spare set you'd already have tried this and reported back to us, helping you get a more accurate diagnosis... Since you don't you leave us (or at least the guys here who know their stuff, not me) guessing.

Buy a spare set (of JJs which sound much better than the stock tubes anyway) and throw those in. Hopefully the problem goes away, in which case you should buy another set to keep around for next time... So maybe just buy two sets of JJs.

https://store.tubedepot.com/products/jj-el84-6bq5-power-vacuum-tube
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jan 23, 2014,
thanks guys, i'll be ordering some tubes off amazon tomorrow. if the problem persists, i'll be back to get schooled with some more knowledge.
Quote by zosomagik94
thanks guys, i'll be ordering some tubes off amazon tomorrow. if the problem persists, i'll be back to get schooled with some more knowledge.

You should probably buy your tubes from tubestore.com, dougstubes.com, eurotubes.com, or some other reputed tube dealer.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
You should probably buy your tubes from tubestore.com, dougstubes.com, eurotubes.com, or some other reputed tube dealer.

AmplifiedParts, an Amazon seller, has always done right by me as well and IIRC Tubedepot sells through Amazon?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jan 23, 2014,
Quote by Arby911
AmplifiedParts, an Amazon seller, has always done right by me as well.

Thanks man, I'll look into it
So I got some tubes and swapped em out, and the amp isnt even turning on. But when I flip the power on there is a SLIGHT hum, and turning up the preamp or master volume does nothing.
I replaced the fuses but the smaller fuse (GMA?) keeps blowing, I can't find anywhere what kind of fuse it needs. The ones that keep blowing are 2A
Quote by zosomagik94
I replaced the fuses but the smaller fuse (GMA?) keeps blowing, I can't find anywhere what kind of fuse it needs. The ones that keep blowing are 2A

did you get the proper fuse, there are normal and slowblo not interchangable. again you should have some extras. ffs they are only what $.10, i bought like 10 ov everything regular and slowblo and whenever i break i fuse i have one in two minutes. i have many because i have a variety of amps.

seriously, would you want to be gigging and you blew a fuse nobody else has one and you messed up the gig. there is no excuse for that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Like I said, I cant find what kind of fuse I'm supposed to get. And that fuse isn't shown on any schematics ive seen.