Hi, I have a Laney GH100L that I got for $300 on craigslist, it works and sounds tons better than the Marshall 100hdfx I was using before, but I think my current cabinet may be holding it back.

I'm running it through a Marshall mg412a cab, and it sounds ok from about 20 feet away, but when I'm up close it sounds like crap. Really staticy and with bad tone. This poses a problem when I record, because it always comes out bad when it's close to the speaker.

Do you guys think the reason the amp is sounding not as good as it should is because of the cab? Or do you think there might be something wrong with the amp? As you can probably tell I'm brand new to this stuff, and don't know what I'm talking about. Also, if you think it's the cab, could you recommend a new one that would work well with this amp? I play hard rock and like bass heavy sounds, and have no idea what speakers produce that.

Thanks a lot!
If you're in the US, look for a used Marshall 1960. They go as cheap as $250 (in ish condition usually), up to $350 being a fair price for one in good condition. They come stock with Celestion G12T75s, which are pretty much hard rock staples, and have a mid cut which emphasizes bass and treble (compared to a V30, which has almost the opposite shape). I'm a big fan of them, and you'll probably like them too.

Otherwise, I think Eminence has some speakers that'll give you the bass, but I'm not familiar with their products.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ +1 Offworld

The staticy part I don't think you can attribute to the cab though.

That sounds more like a bad preamp tube and/or a dodgy cable/jack/insert jack/ground.

In addition to looking at new cabs I'd rotate a few preamp tubes around and see if that helps and get yourself some contact cleaner, like Dioxit, and spray the tube pins once and work the tube in and out of the socket to clean the socket.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 23, 2014,
^ +1

the cab won't be helping you to get good tone, but it sounds like there's something not quite right, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ +1 Offworld

The staticy part I don't think you can attribute to the cab though.

That sounds more like a bad preamp tube and/or a dodgy cable/jack/insert jack/ground.

In addition to looking at new cabs I'd rotate a few preamp tubes around and see if that helps and get yourself some contact cleaner, like Dioxit, and spray the tube tins once and work the tube in and out of the socket to clean the socket.

Sorry I'm new to this haha, by rotate do you literally mean just rotate them? Like twist them a little bit, or to switch places with them?

Thanks!
^+1
Also it could need a retube, at $300 I would get a set of tubes for it and keep the old ones for spares You can get a complete set for $100ish

Go here you cab get a Marshall MF280 for $299-$350 www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rynoburgy
Sorry I'm new to this haha, by rotate do you literally mean just rotate them? Like twist them a little bit, or to switch places with them?

Thanks!

No don't rotate them! Haha. Yeah, just switch their places around, try the preamp tubes in different slots and see if the problem moves around with them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Rynoburgy

Thanks!

No sorry

I meant switch places.

The tubes pull strait out. You may need to wiggle them a bit but pull them out firmly strait out.

Here is a vid I made giving you some of the basics on doing that. It was a long time ago and I was such a noob

http://s545.photobucket.com/user/buckethead_311/media/Amp%20stuff/Microphonicpreamptube.mp4.html

FYI - in most amps V1 is the preamp tube (small ones) closest to the guitar insert side of the amp. Then V2, then V3 etc. with the last preamp tube being closest to the power tubes (big ones). It is actually part of the power section and is called a Phase Inverter. Start by swapping V1 and V2