This is a post-rock/downtempo song I made (by downtempo I mean music such as Four Tet and the like). It's probably my best effort so far sound quality-wise. One thing though I'd like to know is if you guys think I should add a bass guitar. I thought about it and felt like it would become to busy and full if I did, but maybe it lacks bass - if you think so, please tell me.
Also, the intro is pretty trippy - if you don't like it, skip to 1:25, the song gets a bit more conventional there. Of course I'd rather you don't, but I also want people to hear the most of my track as possible.

As always, I'll glady C4C. I always give a critique back!

Here: https://soundcloud.com/twllba/unbeknownst
SP,
I listened to the whole enchilada! Interesting/bizarre intro (I wouldn't mind if it was a bit shorter though). The drums & guitar sound interesting & different (in a good way). Some occasional good vocals would be nice, though it might be tricky to do on a song like this. Audio quality was good up until about 4:20, then it starts distorting a bit more than I would like (I assume that was intentional). I think this song could be cool to have with a video, or background music for a TV show or movie. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1630629
As I listen

Oo i like the intro. Cool sounds. awesome drums...good tension. Great transition into the guitar opening. Slides add a lot to the feel and emotion of the song. I really like all the different things going on...its spaced very well and never feels too busy. I think I bass guitar could add a lot. Maybe dont have it in all the time...but at certain parts like 2:48 ish area. Another good transition at 3:25. Its great how the tracks keep fading in and out but theres a consistency that keeps it all together. Im a fan of the big ending and the fade out.

Overall the sound quality was great, it sounds like your vision for the song was executed very well. Interesting stuff man I followed you back
I liked the intro, moody and creates nice atmosphere. Whole piece has real nice vibe, feels touch explosions in the sky in places. Overall really like it, only thing I'd say that maybe it could go bigger/more dramatic at the end - but that's maybe not what you set out to do
Hey there! Thanks for your review. First time you didn't compare us to Radiohead which is a nice change although they are a huge inspiration to us. Or to me at least.

I absolutely adore this intro. Very Four Tet-ish. Perhaps with a hint of Aphex Twin/Autechre. I don't think it was too long. I wouldn't mind an extended version of this song with a longer intro. The song loses a bit of depth when the "actual song" starts, but quickly regains it. Might have been intentional. The rest actually reminds me slightly of some of the early work of a Danish band called Navneløs. You should check them out if you haven't: http://navnelos.bandcamp.com

I think this song will really grow on me, so when I get my phone back I'll put it on my playlist. It's hard to get an overview of what exactly I like right now, so if I have something new to say, I'll get back to you.

All in all, absolutely love it.
Quote by Huliheaden
Hey there! Thanks for your review. First time you didn't compare us to Radiohead which is a nice change although they are a huge inspiration to us.

Hah, you might be right about that. :P

Quote by Huliheaden

I think this song will really grow on me, so when I get my phone back I'll put it on my playlist. It's hard to get an overview of what exactly I like right now, so if I have something new to say, I'll get back to you.

All in all, absolutely love it.

Thanks for the really nice comment! Glad to hear you liked it.

@aaron, Serrana and Soapbar: same to you, thanks!
Very dreamy sort of intro. Great quality too. Interesting use of the panning. Maybe a little bit too much, because it sounds like it's chopped up then served between the left and right channels. Love the intro idea though. Could be a bit smoother.

When the drums come in, it gets real down-to-Earth. I like the sound as it is, but I do think some bass could add to the track if pulled off correctly. I like the song, but it sounds like you're delving off into different things/phrases every so often. The track itself doesn't 'go anywhere' for me, if you know what I mean. Not bad. Interesting mix. Love the clarity of each instrument. There's a lot of distortion that I think, if taken out or toned down some, would make the track a lot cleaner.

Left a few comments on SC for you.

Thanks for the crit on my thread!
Intro is pretty interesting, sets a great mood. I think you should start throwing in some extra samples around the thirty second mark, maybe just some bells or other percussive instruments. That being said, your use of layering is great.

The reliance on tambourine as your main percussive instrument around 1:25 gave the track a pretty chill sound; then again, everything so far is pretty chill. The guitars are laid back, the sampling adds an interesting dynamic, especially rhythmically.

I love when the track drops off a bit around 2:30. You make great use of percussion throughout the whole track, but your percussion around 2:30 is especially good.

Your use of sampling is great.

That sudden crescendo around the four minute mark is intense; I'd maybe throw in some faint guitar tracks during the build-up to make it a little more intricate.

The fade-out at the end is great, it has a very ethereal sound.

Overall, I loved this; very well-composed.

If you'd like to crit my punk/alternative rock band's live video, you can find that here. Otherwise, if you'd rather do an electronic track, I just recently posted this.
Last edited by herby190 at Feb 5, 2014,