Wondering some opinions on these 2. Im looking for an all tube head and found these for $400 a piece. Seems like a goood price to me. Anyways I play mostly Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, Slipknot kinda stuff but I do throw some Neil Young, Pearl Jam stuff too. I kinda play everything just goofing around in the basement. I currently have an AVT150 head Ive had since it came out quite a few years ago and want something differant. Ive never had an all tube head and saw something about "biasing" the tubes and how easy it was to do with the Randall or it cost something like $150 to have someone do it for you. I dont know but im guessing biasing would mean getting the tubes to match or something. With that said what are some opions on these. Or should I just stick with the AVT150. Opinions on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks for the input.
Dont bother yourself with the biasing thing for now. In a nutshell biasing adjusts how hot the power tubes run. Thats not something you need to touch for now, especially if you change the power tubes to exactly same ones as the old ones. Even if the brand would change as long as the tube type matches you are good to go, the amp works. Manufacturers (Peavey especially) tend to bias the amp on the cold side anyway to prolong the tube lifetime.

Biasing becomes absolutely necessary if you change the tube type. From 6L6 to EL34 for example.

As I said, dont bother with it for now. If you want a tube amp, go for it. Which one, I dont really know. Dont know shit about RT100. XXX is good metal amp though. More or less on par 6505, just different sounding. Also comes with global master volume which is a huge plus in my book if you play in bedroom levels. Makes adjusting volume helluva lot easier.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 23, 2014,
XXX is the better amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by DropD48
Cool Thanks guys. So $400 is a good price then?

It's about the normal price
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I got my XXX for 350.00 off eBay just to see what all the buzz was about. I would never sell it. I ****ing love this stupid amp
Don't most people say the Ultra is better than the XXX? The Ultra is the predecessor to the XXX and from what I've seen most people prefer the Ultra. They're pretty similar to each other, but the Ultra seems a little warmer and with a better clean channel.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay