Hey. I am starting an ambient post-rock band soon and I am pretty set on buying an Orange amp. Since I want to use alot of effects, I want to make a decent pedalboard to go along with it. I also play in a pop punk/emo band with some friends right now. I need help deciding the following things:

-What Orange amp is best for me
-An overdrive/distortion pedal good for pop punk/emo tones
-Good delay, phaser, flanger, chorus, loop, tremolo, and other effects peals for ambient tones (NOT BOSS)

Budget is not a problem here. I make 12.50/hr at my job

Thanks
take it you don't pay rent etc lol.

not an Orange fan so no advice there. as for pedals well that does depend on what you want to spend.

overdrive Klon Centaur hey you make $12.50 hr so a $2500 pedal is good right. seriously get something like a Digitech Bad Monkey or for a few more $ a Digitch Hardwire CM-2 overdrive.

can't go wrong with a EH small Stone Phaser

delay for you might mean more than one pedal or one that is capable of multiple settings. others may have more specific suggestions

you may also want to look into a good Multi-fx unit
Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Fill this out to help us help you better.

Not knowing your exact budget, and knowing you're trying to save some cash, I'd suggest looking at Jet City amps. Depending on what Orange you were looking at, you could save yourself quite a bit of cash to put towards other gear by getting the JC instead. I think the JC would cover those tones pretty easily.

+1 for the Bad monkey. Just picked one up myself a couple weeks back. Great pedal for $50. Maybe look at the new EH Soule food. Suppose to be a MUCH cheaper version on the Klon.

Look at a TC Electronics Flashback, or Alter ego delay (if you don't require a tap).

Like I said, fill out that stuff above, and it'll be much easier for us to help you. We're kinda shooting in the dark right now
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
You will need a reverb pedal. Without a budget, I'd toss a TC Electronic HoF out there (average) or a Strymon Blue Sky (Super duper).

You could also look into the Strymon Flint. Its a dual pedal, with reverb and tremolo. Seems pretty cool in theory, and the guitarist from Russian Circles uses one, so it must be pretty good.

Personally, from the post-rock that I listen to, (Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Russian Circles, God Is An Astronaut) there isn't much flanger or phaser in their music. But thats them, and you may be going after a different sound. Thats just my 2 cents on that though.

I would also recommend a guitar with single coil pickups. IIRC, somebody somewhere on the internet said that single coils are better with effects. Probably because they cut through better than humbuckers. Anybody help me out?
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Orange TV200 for the headroom, built in tube reverb and attenuator.

pedals: for distortion, i love Trex engineering
TC electronics flashback X4
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
Orange TV200 for the headroom, built in tube reverb and attenuator.

pedals: for distortion, i love Trex engineering
TC electronics flashback X4

200 watts seems like way more than you'd need. Maybe just a TV50 instead? And if you're going to use an Orange, why not just just use the 2nd channel?

In theory, the Flashback X4 looks awesome; I haven't played one. However, with TC having Toneprint, that seems like it would open up so many more options for delays.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by AWACS
200 watts seems like way more than you'd need. Maybe just a TV50 instead? And if you're going to use an Orange, why not just just use the 2nd channel?

In theory, the Flashback X4 looks awesome; I haven't played one. However, with TC having Toneprint, that seems like it would open up so many more options for delays.

ambient stuff needs a lot of headroom and i feel like the 6550 tubes in it would be more effective than el-34's plus with the attenuator you can really get that second channel hot at lower volumes, i own the x4 and its great! Although i dont really use the toneprint as much as i should.....
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Wow, this feels weird to say, but whatever haha

Check out a Blackstar Series One. They have a blend of American and British flavor that I think would really slay for pop/punk (a genre mostly dominated by Rectifiers and JCM800s/DSLs).

Getting a distortion pedal completely defeats the point of getting a really nice amp. Unless you're talking about an overdrive to boost your amp with. Then that's good.

I can name a ton of pedals I think are good. But that doesn't mean much. Guitar is one of the least objective things there is. Every aspect of it is subjective. I'll list some stuff for you to go check out, but really you need to spend time researching. Go looking at effects for sale, then Youtube them and listen to them. Yes it will take hours, yes you will be indecisive, yes you need to do this.

Or just buy whatever we say.

There is nothing wrong with Boss, and that statement is very off putting and ignorant. Some of their pedals suck. Some of their pedals are excellent. Exactly the same as every other mainstream company.

If you are absolutely insistent on an Orange, Look at the Rockerverb MkII.

Overdrive: You basically want a Tubescreamer. There are an endless amount of flavors, and everyone has their own preference. The Digitech Bad Monkey is always an excellent place to start. If you get that down and you need more controls, then look at the Way Huge Green Rhino.

Delay: I am picky and demanding of my delays. You won't get any 3 knob recommendations from me. Listen to these, but you need to figure out what works for you, and what you need. That said: Line 6 DL4, Hardwire DL-8, EHX Deluxe Memory Boy, TC Flashback X4.

Phaser: Hardwire SP-7, Boss PH-2, MXR Phase 100

Flanger: Mooer Eleclady, Boss BF-3

Chorus: BBE Mind Bender, Boss CH-1, TC Corona,

Looper: TC Ditto (small), Boss RC-20XL (medium), Boss RC-50 (large)

Tremolo: Empress Tremolo, Diamond Tremolo

Reverb: Line 6 Verbzilla, TC Hall of Fame, TC Trinity, Hardwire Supernatural, Hardwire RV-7, Mr. Black Supermoon, Mr. Black Eterna

A Line 6 M9 or M13 is an excellent investment. I use an M9 myself.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Wow, this feels weird to say, but whatever haha

Check out a Blackstar Series One. They have a blend of American and British flavor that I think would really slay for pop/punk (a genre mostly dominated by Rectifiers and JCM800s/DSLs).

Getting a distortion pedal completely defeats the point of getting a really nice amp. Unless you're talking about an overdrive to boost your amp with. Then that's good.

I can name a ton of pedals I think are good. But that doesn't mean much. Guitar is one of the least objective things there is. Every aspect of it is subjective. I'll list some stuff for you to go check out, but really you need to spend time researching. Go looking at effects for sale, then Youtube them and listen to them. Yes it will take hours, yes you will be indecisive, yes you need to do this.

Or just buy whatever we say.

There is nothing wrong with Boss, and that statement is very off putting and ignorant. Some of their pedals suck. Some of their pedals are excellent. Exactly the same as every other mainstream company.

If you are absolutely insistent on an Orange, Look at the Rockerverb MkII.

Overdrive: You basically want a Tubescreamer. There are an endless amount of flavors, and everyone has their own preference. The Digitech Bad Monkey is always an excellent place to start. If you get that down and you need more controls, then look at the Way Huge Green Rhino.

Delay: I am picky and demanding of my delays. You won't get any 3 knob recommendations from me. Listen to these, but you need to figure out what works for you, and what you need. That said: Line 6 DL4, Hardwire DL-8, EHX Deluxe Memory Boy, TC Flashback X4.

Phaser: Hardwire SP-7, Boss PH-2, MXR Phase 100

Flanger: Mooer Eleclady, Boss BF-3

Chorus: BBE Mind Bender, Boss CH-1, TC Corona,

Looper: TC Ditto (small), Boss RC-20XL (medium), Boss RC-50 (large)

Tremolo: Empress Tremolo, Diamond Tremolo

Reverb: Line 6 Verbzilla, TC Hall of Fame, TC Trinity, Hardwire Supernatural, Hardwire RV-7, Mr. Black Supermoon, Mr. Black Eterna

A Line 6 M9 or M13 is an excellent investment. I use an M9 myself.

whoa never saw that one coming. you most be drinking more than me. blackstar? haha. the series 1 is decent though, IIRC a bit overpriced.

i i were to look i would go for a Dual Rec and a mobius. i want one of those sooooo bad.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Depending on your needs, budget and availability (because some of these are discontinued), these pedals would do you good:

Overdrive/Distortion- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, Red Witch Famulus, T. Rex MAB Overdrive
Chorus/Echo- Visual Sound H2O, Line6 ToneCore Echo Park, Boss RE-20, Line6 ToneCore Space Chorus
Flange- Line6 ToneCore Liqui-Flange
Delay- Red Witch Titan
Reverb- Red Witch Pentavocal Tremolo, Line6 ToneCore Verbzilla
Phaser- Pigtronix Envelope Phaser
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 25, 2014,
I play ambient and post rock mixed with a bit of grunge
Pedal wise I use a small stone phaser into a rat and a musket (big muff clone) eleclady flanger (electric mistress clone but tiny) and then a strymon el capistan delay and strymon flint into a tc electronic ditto looper

I have a ton of other pedals that I play around with but that is my standard board
I highly reccomend the mooer black secret rat and turbo rat clone as well as any big muff, nano just came out, heaps of great clones and I love the standard bass big muff on guitar also.

Phaser wise the small stone and phase 90 are the standards.

Even though you said no to boss I still reccomend a ce2 or ce5, small stone may be your thing but it's not mine, there's some great weird stuff out there like the sea machine but all that stuff is much more personal choice

I only really like chorusy flangers, I had the boss hi band flanger that I was like warm on until I discovered the eleclady, I love the mistress but I keep a pretty small neat board, seriously look at the mooer eleclady, I scored one for $50 and love it to death

You didn't mention a reverb but you want one, I use the flint normally but I have the hardwire supernatural which is amazing for ambient stuff and has flange, phase and high octave built into the verbs, strymon blue sky is top of the line and so is even tide space, mooer makes the shimverb which is ok but the shimmer has overtones of fifths rather than octaves which is nowhere near as good mostly

I could talk for days about delays so I won't

Also check out the danelectro French toast, it doesn't sound how it looks at all
Changed my mind, I like delay

First things first, decide if you need tap tempo, personally I couldn't live without it
Then if you do, decode if you need dotted eighths (U2 and tons of spacey ambient rock like 30 seconds to mars and angels and airwaves)

If you want tap tempo then I highly reccomend either the boss (I know) dd20 or the strymon el capistan depending on price.
I have owned the strymon timeline which is the absolute top of the line but I felt it was a little too complicated and took away from some of the creative process, perfect for the studio though.
The deluxe memory boy is fine, and I hear great things about the dhs panther and diamond memory lane jr.
I've also owned the boss re20 which was very cool (no dotted eighths though) but was sold as soon as I got the el capistan.
The boss dd7 does tap tempo as does the line 6 echo park.
The line 6 dl4 is also common but I have never personally used one.

If you don't need tap temp then the memory toy or mxr delays are a fine option too.
I'd go with an Orange RV100 (if you REALLY want an Orange, though; otherwise, there are loads of options), a Strymon Mobius (which costs a fair bit, but so do separate chorus, flanger, phaser and tremolo pedals combined) and an EHX Memory Boy Deluxe. You might want to pick up a good volume pedal as well, if you want to do swells. An EHX Hog can be fun as well for ambient stuff (and money doesn't seem to be an issue, or you just don't know it yet). Expression pedals for the delay and the Mobius (and the HOG) only add to the fun.

The delay is simple, has nice controls and has a tap tempo (which is really handy to have). There are other options, of course, but I think it's a great unit for the price.
Oh shit, forgot I made this thread

But I'd like to keep my budget within 1500-2000. I would prefer used gear as it's probably a little cheaper. I need gigworthy gear too. I'm currently going straight through a Peavey 6505+ but the tone is just a little too metal for my liking, I'm also playing a Schecter Damien Solo Elite. I was 16 when I got all this stuff

Recently decided I want an Orange Tiny Terror. Affordable and sounds great.