yeah it looks interesting, but not my cup of tea. I like rigs that weigh 165+lbs
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
will keep my eye on this. i really like the idea. ultimate versatility, doubles as a stereo system, great interface with apple etc. love it all.

i am skeptical of the speakers. guitar speakers are not the same as other BS speakers in consumer electronics.

i am also skeptical of the modeling and effects...which generally i find BS from line 6 amps as a whole. especially from a product like this that retails at 400....their PODs can be 400-500 alone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
So this is the domesticated version of the L series with some apple/bluetooth wankery thrown in. Why is it revolutionary again?
Nothing revolutionary here. But it’s nice to see Line 6 following Yamaha’s lead and ditching guitar speakers in a practice amp. The marketing hype gets one thing right: guitar speakers sound best played loud with tube amps, and that’s not necessarily what people need when they aren’t performing. It’s a shame they don’t say much about the specs and instead just expect people to give a shit that the amp comes with some OEM Celestion kit.

Otherwise all of the improvements appear to be aesthetic. That’s a good thing; it’s time for practice amps to stop looking like shit. This is a pretty extreme take on that line of thinking; Line 6 has gone much farther than Peavey has with the high-end Max Bass and Vypyr VIP lines. Looks like they’re also moving away from the lazy/shitty skeumorphic UI thinking that makes so many iOS guitar apps a PITA. Hopefully this caliber of design will start trickling down to the low-end.
Quote by Robbgnarly
yeah it looks interesting, but not my cup of tea. I like rigs that weigh 165+lbs

Part of your workout regimen or are you trying to flatten something?
true. i am not going to knock the speakers, but traditionally speakers are a good portion of tone.

...but there is nothing traditional about this. thats the point. they are also making it look like some kind of styleish sound system, like some off brand BOSE.

clearly the marketing in the picture is of some dude in a stylish upscale flat or something. marketing this as a new age practice amp for 2014 lifestyle needs. the reality is, almost no living environment these days can handle a non master volume tube amp.

you either have special accomodations, or that style is dead. i just have to dive into my setup, which i love and is still of a manageable size. i would rather have 2x 1x12s, but thats too much more money than 1 x 2x12. still, my 40 watt 2x12 setup is 95% too big for my needs.

whats a stack?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 24, 2014,
Looks interesting, but no Android support means they're cutting their effect market in more than half, and also means I'll never buy one

*edit* Apparently it's using POD XT modeling technology... wat? WHY!?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ikey_

clearly the marketing in the picture is of some dude in a stylish upscale flat or something. marketing this as a new age practice amp for 2014 lifestyle needs. the reality is, almost no living environment these days can handle a non master volume tube amp.

you either have special accomodations, or that style is dead. i just have to dive into my setup, which i love and is still of a manageable size. i would rather have 2x 1x12s, but thats too much more money than 1 x 2x12. still, my 40 watt 2x12 setup is 95% too big for my needs.

whats a stack?

This exactly. As much as I love to crank a tube amp, I'm pretty sure I'd be evicted immediately. This is actually a good idea, granted of course they the system actually sounds good. There wasn't any real audio in the video so its all up to demoing it.
Quote by JAustinMunn

My first guitar still has residue from an unfortunate ranch dressing incident

Quote by jpnyc
I played this guitar once. It unleashed the ****ing fury and I got kicked out of Guitar Center.
Quote by jpnyc
It’s a shame they don’t say much about the specs and instead just expect people to give a shit that the amp comes with some OEM Celestion kit.

Otherwise all of the improvements appear to be aesthetic. That’s a good thing; it’s time for practice amps to stop looking like shit. This is a pretty extreme take on that line of thinking; Line 6 has gone much farther than Peavey has with the high-end Max Bass and Vypyr VIP lines. Looks like they’re also moving away from the lazy/shitty skeumorphic UI thinking that makes so many iOS guitar apps a PITA. Hopefully this caliber of design will start trickling down to the low-end.

The changes (we'll let "improvements" be proven when they actually hit the market) are pretty significant. For starters, this is a five-speaker box -- with a pair of tweeters, a pair of mids drivers and a 12" woofer (they're calling it a guitar speaker) in a closed-back ported box. That right there is a WHOLE lot different from your average practice (or combo) amp.

It's a full-range powered stereo speaker system with 150W total power, which means that you can use it for virtually any sound reproduction in your home (TV, stereo, computer, MP3 player, yada yada). That makes it a LOT more versatile than your basic combo amp (if not as fancy as your 5:1 with subwoofer TV system).

It runs streaming output from your iPhone/iPad/AnDruid, etc. Which means that you can practice along with anything you have on your gizmo.

The iOS app isn't anything like normal iOS guitar apps that you use with an interface. No resemblance. It is, essentially, a controller for the amp, and it does so wirelessly. It allows you to set up some huge number of presets and then just punch them up as you go (and, of course, it controls volume and EQ, etc.). This is better than learning over squinting at your Pod HD 500 on the floor <G>. If you've got an iPad feeding you lyrics, you can also have it set up your amp at the same time. Wirelessly.

The app allows you to store presets in Da Cloud. It also allows you to pull down tones others have done and run them on your amp immediately.

But it does one more thing that I'm looking forward to seeing; it identifies the guitar tone in a song that you're listening to and mimics through the Amplfi it so that you can play in the same tone. Hmmm. At the very least, this might end the "How do I get Slashtone?" queries <G>.
Quote by utmbarto
This exactly. As much as I love to crank a tube amp, I'm pretty sure I'd be evicted immediately. This is actually a good idea, granted of course they the system actually sounds good. There wasn't any real audio in the video so its all up to demoing it.

There's usually a wait between Introduction At NAMM and a UPS Tracking Number where Line 6 is concerned. OTOH, Sweatwater (yeah, I spelled it like that) is advertising the 150W version at $499. At the very least, this will probably make a good onstage monitor and/or practice amp for your Pod HD or HD500...
Quote by dspellman
The changes (we'll let "improvements" be proven when they actually hit the market) are pretty significant. For starters, this is a five-speaker box -- with a pair of tweeters, a pair of mids drivers and a 12" woofer (they're calling it a guitar speaker) in a closed-back ported box. That right there is a WHOLE lot different from your average practice (or combo) amp.

It's a full-range powered stereo speaker system with 150W total power, which means that you can use it for virtually any sound reproduction in your home (TV, stereo, computer, MP3 player, yada yada). That makes it a LOT more versatile than your basic combo amp (if not as fancy as your 5:1 with subwoofer TV system).

It runs streaming output from your iPhone/iPad/AnDruid, etc. Which means that you can practice along with anything you have on your gizmo.

The iOS app isn't anything like normal iOS guitar apps that you use with an interface. No resemblance. It is, essentially, a controller for the amp, and it does so wirelessly. It allows you to set up some huge number of presets and then just punch them up as you go (and, of course, it controls volume and EQ, etc.). This is better than learning over squinting at your Pod HD 500 on the floor <G>. If you've got an iPad feeding you lyrics, you can also have it set up your amp at the same time. Wirelessly.

The app allows you to store presets in Da Cloud. It also allows you to pull down tones others have done and run them on your amp immediately.

But it does one more thing that I'm looking forward to seeing; it identifies the guitar tone in a song that you're listening to and mimics through the Amplfi it so that you can play in the same tone. Hmmm. At the very least, this might end the "How do I get Slashtone?" queries <G>.

That. Gave. Me. A. Boner.
Quote by Robbgnarly

I spoke to the guys from Line 6 today -- they told me they can glue any number of these together to get you to your ideal weight requirements.
Quote by MatrixClaw
Looks interesting, but no Android support means they're cutting their effect market in more than half, and also means I'll never buy one

*edit* Apparently it's using POD XT modeling technology... wat? WHY!?

I downloaded the editor just to check it out. It' spot everything my old podxt had. So I guess it's just a podxt brain and a full range power amp/speaker setup. I think it's pretty cool.

I think the reason they used the older generation pod stuff is because using the new pod hd stuff would either be too expensive or just be competing against the dt series amps. This way it sits below all that and right above the spiders.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Seems kind of interesting, but I prefer my pedals and amps as opposed to the digital mock ups it might be ok if Ilive in an apartment building.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I've not found any vids on this. Looks interesting but I've never made a pod make a noise that gets me weak at the knees
Quote by -Ed-
I've not found any vids on this. Looks interesting but I've never made a pod make a noise that gets me weak at the knees

I think Andertons had a video with Monkey Lord, etc.

So if you've never made a pod make those noises, is that your fault or the Pod's?

I have the same issue with women.
Quote by dspellman
So if you've never made a pod make those noises, is that your fault or the Pod's?

i pride myself on being able to make the best of any piece of equipment i have run across, but there is still plenty of pieces of equipment i don't like to use.

who's fault is it?

i think that is an incredibly complex question that must take into consideration expectations, ability, pre-conceived notions and preference. i believe there is no easy cut and dry and answer seeing as so much is subjective with these concepts.

i guess you do have control over personal subjective perception though, while the equipment you use does have quite tangible physical limitations. imo it's still incredibly complicated.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 25, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
I think Andertons had a video with Monkey Lord, etc.

I have the same issue with women.

I think it's mostly me (with line 6, women I have no issues with)

I tend to like my rhythm sound fairly dry. I've heard good sounds from them so it's just me, I like to dial a sound quickly and spend the limited time I have playing rather than experimenting. I'm sure that will change over time.

I want to like the Pod stuff because it makes perfect sense for me. I've been tempted to get another HD500 (x) but haven't.

Here's the video to save searching:
http://youtu.be/caj-z5pPZo8

Definitely cool.
Quote by dspellman
But it does one more thing that I'm looking forward to seeing; it identifies the guitar tone in a song that you're listening to and mimics through the Amplfi it so that you can play in the same tone.

Based on the video, it sounds like these are not determined on the fly, but based on a predetermined library of songs with corresponding tones (they said they have 6k songs).
That's how I interpreted it too - the intelligence is in the cloud.

Wonder how it integrated with the hd pedals and whether it can be hooked up to be their "dream rig"?
I should have edited, apparently there are plans for user-uploadable tones. However, the "cloud" does not actually determine the settings, there needs to be a user (someone at line 6, or an end-user) that determines the settings.

Some of the sounds in that video aren't too great. You can see a bit of a poor reaction in Chappers' face but he seems to genuinely like some of them. I'll wait for a few more reviews.
There are a number of problems with this product. To start off, the ios app has issues with talking to the amp properly. My ipad will be bluetooth interfaced with the amp, but the app will lose connection with it. You can switch out to an ios synthesizer and that plays back through the app, so the bluetooth connection is definitely there. Switch back to the amplifi app and it can't find the amp It would appear some serious bug associated with the app.

Second, the only way to search for tone presets is by song. There is no collection of pre-built factory presets available to audition through, like you would get on a pod, or any other multi-effects unit. This is totally lame to try and work with. And the presets associated with a 'song' are just somebodies idea of what sounded similar, there is n magical tone matching going on at all.

The usb port on the amp currently does nothing.
No real manual, just a really slim 4-page getting started guide. No manual at all for the app, absolutely no documentation on it.

I was trying to use the amp in a jam session and the app lost connection with the amp, so i couldn't change tone presets. Then i hit the wrong button in the app and actually logged out of the cloud by mistake, which meant i had no access to tones of any kind until i logged in again. This is while i'm trying to play with people using the amp. So there's the reality of trying to use it in a real playing situation.

The joke is that it would probably work much better plugging the guitar into the ipad and using a competitors ios guitar effects and amp simulation software and then run the output of that via bluetooth over to the amp. Because you can control that software via a midi foot controller for program changes, something you can't do with the amplify app or amp. And it appears to work much more reliably as a generic bluetooth speaker.
Looks promising. Didn't like the sound on that video though...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by Perverockstar69
Looks promising. Didn't like the sound on that video though...

It's Chappers. They have fifteen mikes on the thing but can't figure out how to put it all together to make it work.

I've learned with Line 6 stuff to wait out the initial (and usually inevitable) glitches and get the follow-on production run. The only thing I got antsy on and couldn't stand to wait was with the JTV-89F, and the "new" on that was the Floyd and the version 2.0 HD modeling firmware. Surprisingly, it's all good (so far, and knocking on wood).
Care less I could not. Artist presets? What a wank.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification