Are we past the times of guitar virtuosos? I know a lot of these guys had their times in the 80's when heavy distorted guitars were culturally relevant. But what about us guys who still love that sound, and put forth an effort to shred on their axe in the same style? Should we be focusing on the drops in some wub wub step? If we want to get heard do we have to automate the shit out of some filter plug in so our VST synth has depth?

I don't mind hearing some of that music these days, but I LOVE making my reverb heavy guitar scream. The emotion you can display in those high pitched wails created by the careful bends of our fingers. Hitting a midi keyboard is boring.

I think I may have been born in the wrong decade.
Last edited by Chaise Boogie at Jan 23, 2014,
Those kinds of guitarists are still out there, they're just not getting the airplay & publcity they used to.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Play what you like, fukk everyone else
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
+1 to both

i was born in the right decade, problem is I'd have needed to be 23 during that decade

then again i'm younger than those guys so that's nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The thing is that nowadays there's literally thousands and thousands of them around that it's hard to get notoriety for virtuoso guitar work anymore. Those guys defined the genre in the 80s, now that it's a defined genre people just fall into it instead of being a founding father of it. There are players that will blow your mind that will never make it anywhere just because there are so many people now who are about as good as you can get on guitar. It isn't special anymore.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Robbgnarly
Play what you like, fukk everyone else

And I do. But No one wants to hear it. And when it is heard, I also get told my music should be in an anime, or sounds like bagpipes. I mean, I know I play high, but I really feel my emotions come through with those high pitched sounds.

Maybe I am out of touch even with those heroes of the 80's.

Listen yourself.

https://soundcloud.com/chaise-hutchinson
Quote by Chaise Boogie
And I do. But No one wants to hear it. And when it is heard, I also get told my music should be in an anime, or sounds like bagpipes. I mean, I know I play high, but I really feel my emotions come through with those high pitched sounds.

Maybe I am out of touch even with those heroes of the 80's.

Listen yourself.

https://soundcloud.com/chaise-hutchinson

Trust me start playing out with a band that plays that kind of music (good) and you'd be suprised at how many people really enjoy it that would not normally like it.

I played in a Punk/Hardcore band for years but we did it a little diffrent and with a great stage show. I had 65 yr old guy tell me after a show they hated the type of musi we played untill they saw us live and that we put on a "show" we did not just play it. He said it made him feal like a kid again.

That is what it is all about IMO
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Trust me start playing out with a band that plays that kind of music (good) and you'd be suprised at how many people really enjoy it that would not normally like it.

I played in a Punk/Hardcore band for years but we did it a little diffrent and with a great stage show. I had 65 yr old guy tell me after a show they hated the type of musi we played untill they saw us live and that we put on a "show" we did not just play it. He said it made him feal like a kid again.

That is what it is all about IMO

Having a great showmanship is an under appreciated factor of playing music. I myself have never been in a band and do not know any other musicians. But if I ever come to that point, I'd hope to put a lot of focus on entertainment. Music is only part of it. When in doubt, be GWAR.