Page 1 of 2
So basically I need the best advice the pit can give me. No ****ing around here. this is big for me. don't hold back Pit!

Upcoming Sunday I have an appointment with a band in Utrecht to play some songs with them. They are looking for a new bass player and I feel like I'm able to fill that role, even though I only play bass for around 1 year.
They play original songs that sound like alter bridge (I have never heard em play, but if they can play like alter bridge, I feel like they should be good.)

However in a mere 2 weeks they wanted me to learn:
What if - Creed
Blackbird - Alter Bridge
Watch your Words - Alter bridge

Blackbird, I can already play, it's the other 2 I'm having trouble with. seeing as i have to know these two songs in 2 days, so I'm kind of ****ed.

The second part of the problem is money.
I don't have money to get there (no drivers license, so have to go by train/bus)
I can probably lend some of friends though, and my money comes in next week, so there's that.

I need advice on this pit... 3...2..1. GO
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Twos weeks for twos song?

I hads that amount of time to learns like 10 songs to fill in for a friend.

And yous arent even playing real guitars.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by korinaflyingv
If you can't learn 3 songs in 2 weeks you're not good enough, unless they are total shit.

It's not that I'm not able to, there are just no lessons or great tabs out there that I can use, and I've been extremely busy with my job, working from 08:00 to 20:00.
I didn't really have the energy to get up and transcribe the songs and learn them properly.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
It's when you go that extra mile that you really start to learn things about yourself, and how serious you are regarding this whole band thing. Don' t start making excuses "why I can't..." whenever a challenge comes up, or you'll find yourself doing it forever. Learn the songs to the best of your ability, then go do the gig! The least you'll have is a learning experience if it all goes belly up, but it probably wont.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
So basically I need the best advice the pit can give me. No ****ing around here. this is big for me. don't hold back Pit!

Upcoming Sunday I have an appointment with a band in Utrecht to play some songs with them. They are looking for a new bass player and I feel like I'm able to fill that role, even though I only play bass for around 1 year.
They play original songs that sound like alter bridge (I have never heard em play, but if they can play like alter bridge, I feel like they should be good.)

However in a mere 2 weeks they wanted me to learn:
What if - Creed
Blackbird - Alter Bridge
Watch your Words - Alter bridge

Blackbird, I can already play, it's the other 2 I'm having trouble with. seeing as i have to know these two songs in 2 days, so I'm kind of ****ed.

If that's what required of you to be in the band and if feel you you can't meet that requirement, then what makes you think that you are 'able to fill that role'?

Ambition is a good thing, but you should also be realistic to a certain extent.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

The second part of the problem is money.
I don't have money to get there (no drivers license, so have to go by train/bus)
I can probably lend some of friends though, and my money comes in next week, so there's that.

I need advice on this pit... 3...2..1. GO

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

It's not that I'm not able to, there are just no lessons or great tabs out there that I can use, and I've been extremely busy with my job, working from 08:00 to 20:00.
I didn't really have the energy to get up and transcribe the songs and learn them properly.

So it seems that if you get the gig, you're going to be that guy who's job and finances get in the way of him being fully commited to the band, which will more than likely cause problems for everyone else in the band. Are you sure that you're really what this band needs?

I honestly don't want to rain on your parade or insult you with this, it's just that you seem to be thinking about what you want more than what the rest of the band need. Do you think it would be fair to them to join their band knowing that you might not be able to fully commit?
Quote by justdoit007
It's when you go that extra mile that you really start to learn things about yourself, and how serious you are regarding this whole band thing. Don' t start making excuses "why I can't..." whenever a challenge comes up, or you'll find yourself doing it forever. Learn the songs to the best of your ability, then go do the gig! The least you'll have is a learning experience if it all goes belly up, but it probably wont.

I do feel quite confident in my abilities to learn the songs. I just didn't have the energy to do it after wrecking days at work.
Thats not an excuse, that's being exhausted as a human

Quote by SlackerBabbath
If that's what required of you to be in the band and if feel you you can't meet that requirement, then what makes you think that you are 'able to fill that role'?

Ambition is a good thing, but you should also be realistic to a certain extent.

So it seems that if you get the gig, you're going to be that guy who's job and finances get in the way of him being fully commited to the band, which will more than likely cause problems for everyone else in the band. Are you sure that you're really what this band needs?

I honestly don't want to rain on your parade or insult you with this, it's just that you seem to be thinking about what you want more than what the rest of the band need. Do you think it would be fair to them to join their band knowing that you might not be able to fully commit?

I get what you are saying, and it's not even insulting in the slightest

The thing is that it's just a busy period and I didn't have any money because i had some debts that's now paid off.
They practice on Sundays, so work will not come in the way, and seeing as my finances will be better from starting next week, that won't be a problem too. (also practicing on sundays means less drinking on saturdaynights)

The only issue I feel like I have is to learn their original material. This might take some time and I'm not sure if they are okay with that. they are complete strangers at this point.

The thing is, it's an audition. Im not sure if there are other options for them, as they haven't told me. If I don't get the gig I'm not going to be sad about it, but I love being in a band, which is basically my drive here.

Quote by cha33 armstrong
What you need is a new amp

Nawh man, They play in a rented studio with equipment. my bassamp IS new and sits beautifully at my place
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Jan 24, 2014,
As somebody who's just lost a drummer to exactly what you're talking about (being tired after work). Then I would say don't bother, without sounding harsh, if 3 songs in 2 weeks is too much then when it comes to learning an entire set or if you're crunching extra songs in on the run up to a gig then work will just get in the way for you and create tension between you all.

Edit - You mention they rehearse on sundays, but when Saturday and Sunday are your only rest days you'll start to feel the burn of having essentially another job every weekend. Obviously for the audition that won't matter but if it got serious it could, if you start gigging regularly they might want to rehearse more than once per week which could also cause a problem.
Last edited by TTP Penguin at Jan 24, 2014,
Seems like joining a band in Utrecht could be a bad idea in itself, and Utrecht isn't that spectatcular.
Quote by The_Casinator
Seems like joining a band in Utrecht could be a bad idea in itself, and Utrecht isn't that spectatcular.

Neither is Eindhoven, nor Maastricht
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by The_Casinator
I like it there though. >_>

I have to admit I don't like Utrecht as a city too. but then again I'm not joining a band so I can go to a city I like
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
You have two weeks to learn 2 songs, and you can already play Blackbird, which is already like 8 minutes long. And you're playing bass. What are you doing, man? Practice those fairly simple songs.
Quote by chaoticfables
You have two weeks to learn 2 songs, and you can already play Blackbird, which is already like 8 minutes long. And you're playing bass. What are you doing, man? Practice those fairly simple songs.

Well no I didn't know how to play blackbird before, I learned that one within the days I did have time.
I still have tonight and tomorrow though. maybe even sundaymorning to finalise some stuff.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I do feel quite confident in my abilities to learn the songs. I just didn't have the energy to do it after wrecking days at work.
Thats not an excuse, that's being exhausted as a human

Ever heard the popular entertainers saying 'The Show Must Go On'? It's meaning is that regardless of what happens, you still have to meet your obligations.
To give you an example of this ethos, the guitarist in my band once played a series of gigs with a broken leg and likewise the drummer once played a series of gigs with a broken hand. They both seemed to be up against almost impossible circumstances, but they still met their obligations nontheless.

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

The only issue I feel like I have is to learn their original material. This might take some time and I'm not sure if they are okay with that. they are complete strangers at this point.

Question.
Can you play by ear?
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Ever heard the popular entertainers saying 'The Show Must Go On'? It's meaning is that regardless of what happens, you still have to meet your obligations.
To give you an example of this ethos, the guitarist in my band once played a series of gigs with a broken leg and likewise the drummer once played a series of gigs with a broken hand. They both seemed to be up against almost impossible circumstances, but they still met their obligations nontheless.

Question.
Can you play by ear?

Yeah, I can, but I'd have to hear a song first. I've never heard their stuff before.
I'm also nervous for the audition (which is healthy... I hope)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Jan 24, 2014,
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Yeah, I can, but I'd have to hear a song first. I've never heard their stuff before.

Right, so they're obviously expecting you to be able to learn the 3 songs they've given you within a set time and they are also possibly expecting you to learn their own material from them via jamming with them, or, possibly they'll give you some of their own material to learn for a second audition after passing the first test.

If you can play by ear, then you're probably better off getting recordings of the songs they've given you and learn them by ear instead of messing around with tabs. As a bassist of 30 years myself, I'd consider that it's probably quicker to learn by ear than by tab. You should be able to easily at least familiarise yourself with the remaining two songs to the extent that you can jam them out with the band in just one day.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jan 24, 2014,
Don't listen to Slacker TS he's obviously trying to put doubts in your mind so that you'll back out and then he'll get the spot in the band.
Quote by DardySon
Don't listen to Slacker TS he's obviously trying to put doubts in your mind so that you'll back out and then he'll get the spot in the band.

Don't worry, I definately can't afford the train fare to Utrecht from here in Britain.

Besides, I've practicaly given up playing in bands to concentrate on painting.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Right, so they're obviously expecting you to be able to learn the 3 songs they've given you within a set time and they are also possibly expecting you to learn their own material from them via jamming with them, or, possibly they'll give you some of their own material to learn for a second audition after passing the first test.

If you can play by ear, then you're probably better off getting recordings of the songs they've given you and learn them by ear instead of messing around with tabs. As a bassist of 30 years myself, I'd consider that it's probably quicker to learn by ear than by tab. You should be able to easily at least familiarise yourself with the remaining two songs to the extent that you can jam them out with the band in just one day.

Thanks, I guess I'll try that. As I said I still have time to practice them, I am a bit familiar with the songs already, but not to an extend I could easily jam with them yet, It all feels rusty. I'll have a full day tomorrow and tonight to smoothen that out.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
So who's the band? *is a decently experienced bassist from Amsterdam so you might not want to tell *cough*

Also, however confident you might be in your abilities, if you've only been playing for a year without any prior experience with other instruments, and you're a busy individual, like the rest said, don't go in with high expectations.

Also, work on your ear. A lot. Especially as a bassist it's very good to be able to hear parts played to you and copy them as close to the original as possible on the spot. I landed most of my auditions by being able to do just that. I learn fast. People like that.
If most of the band is already there they usually don't want to have to put in the time/effort it might take to completely educate a new member.

Did they make any indications about planning on gigging or anything else anytime soon?
Then I shall insert my erect penis into the narrow vaginal cavity of my blood-relative whom I predate by approximately 5 years.
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf

When I was you age, there were no tabs. Or Internet
You had to buy or borrow the albums and learn by ear.
3 songs in 2 weeks?
I had to learn 10 songs in a 1 1/2 weeks and another 30 songs in less than a month for my first professional band.
Professional as in getting paid in something other than beer, drugs, or food.
And it was a musical style I had never even heard of before. Let alone never having heard any of the songs.

And listen to what Slacker said.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 24, 2014,
Quote by KoRnOnA6String
So who's the band? *is a decently experienced bassist from Amsterdam so you might not want to tell *cough*

Also, however confident you might be in your abilities, if you've only been playing for a year without any prior experience with other instruments, and you're a busy individual, like the rest said, don't go in with high expectations.

Also, work on your ear. A lot. Especially as a bassist it's very good to be able to hear parts played to you and copy them as close to the original as possible on the spot. I landed most of my auditions by being able to do just that. I learn fast. People like that.
If most of the band is already there they usually don't want to have to put in the time/effort it might take to completely educate a new member.

Did they make any indications about planning on gigging or anything else anytime soon?

I'm not worried at all about you knowing they're called Perseides and want to gig ASAP. thanks for the tips bro. as I said, even if I don't get it, I'll just become getting better and land a gig in a different band
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Thanks, I guess I'll try that. As I said I still have time to practice them, I am a bit familiar with the songs already, but not to an extend I could easily jam with them yet, It all feels rusty. I'll have a full day tomorrow and tonight to smoothen that out.

Yeah, if you spend just 1 whole day jamming along with the 3 recordings over and over and over again, you should easily be familiarized enough with the songs to be able jam them without any major problems.

Quote by CodeMonk
When I was you age, there were no tabs. Or Internet
You had to buy or borrow the albums and learn by ear.

Oh man, those were the days eh?

There were no CDs or other form of digital recordings available back then either. More often than not, music was available on vinal, so if you wanted to learn a particular passage in a song, you had to keep moving the needle backwards and forwards on the record. Cassett (and even reel to reel) tapes were useful for that though because you could record the vinal onto them and fast forwards or rewind them to wherever you wanted to be.

Also, with no internet, there was no easy way to look up lyrics to songs, unless they happened to be printed on the album cover, so you'd have to carefully listen to the song over and over again writing down what you hoped was the correct words, which wasn't always the case.

Ahhhh, I remember when this was all fields y'know.

Quote by K'Nuckles
Even if you get the role, how will you show up for band prac? If you're always broke and need money to commute to another city, that's gonna be a big problem.

As he just said :
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
finances will be better from starting next week
I'm well aware of having the luxury of the internet I dunno I feel like I can do this now. Thanks guys!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I'm well aware of having the luxury of the internet I dunno I feel like I can do this now. Thanks guys!

You're welcome.

Just remember, try not to over-do it learning the songs on Saturday, you wouldn't want to turn up to an audition the next day with fresh blisters on your fingers.
Think about this. If you can't figure out how to do it (without our help) then you're not serious about music
Quote by trashbeast
Think about this. If you can't figure out how to do it (without our help) then you're not serious about music

I feel like that's a bit harsh. than ks for the critique though I guess
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
If you don't learn the songs fully at least get a rough understanding of how they go an try and improvise a bit, if you're comfortable with that.
Even though you have tabs, I also learn most stuff by ear, unless it's something totally unfamiliar.

Far faster, and half of the stuff here does not represent the dynamics or is even 100% accurate on the part.

That being said, How are you going to combine this with future gigs

I live in Amsterdam and have been in (Small) gigging bands, and you don't have THAT much luxury to always gig at 8 on saturday night, which arguably is also the most competitive spot anyway.

You must be able to do the odd Tuesday night or friday afternoon gig.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Even though you have tabs, I also learn most stuff by ear, unless it's something totally unfamiliar.

Far faster, and half of the stuff here does not represent the dynamics or is even 100% accurate on the part.

That being said, How are you going to combine this with future gigs

I live in Amsterdam and have been in (Small) gigging bands, and you don't have THAT much luxury to always gig at 8 on saturday night, which arguably is also the most competitive spot anyway.

You must be able to do the odd Tuesday night or friday afternoon gig.

Well I finally had some time to look at What If by Creed, and it's actually a pretty easy song to do.
All that's left for me now is the "watch your words" song, wich is imo the hardest of them all.

Gigs are usually planned in advance. So i can hold that in to account when I decide to work late or whatever, this will really be no big deal.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by ichiefG13
So learn the other 2 songs?

Already know Blackbird. theres 1 left and that's for tomorrow.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
Well I finally had some time to look at What If by Creed, and it's actually a pretty easy song to do.
All that's left for me now is the "watch your words" song, wich is imo the hardest of them all.

Bit of advice for future reference. When given a list of songs to learn, always try and learn the hardest songs first, that way you use your time more efficiently.

1. Learn the hardest, then play it through.
2. Learn the second hardest, then play that and the hardest through.
3. Learn the third hardest, then play that and the other two through.
4. etc, etc, etc.

This has several advantages.
By learning the hardest songs first you're automaticaly spending more time on them, which makes obvious sense.
By playing everything through that you've learned so far, after every new song learned, it helps to place the new songs in your long term memory.
Y'see, when you've only just learned something new it gets stored in your short term memory and learning something else can cause you to forget parts of it. Playing all the songs you've learned so far through after learning each new song helps to place them in your long term memory.
Also, if by any chance something happens to cause you not to have time to learn all the songs given to you in the time limit that you have, then the ones you haven't learned are the easiest ones to play, so they'll be much easier to just jam out with the band.
You shouldn't need tabs or lessons to learn the songs. Just listen to them.. if you can't learn it by listening to the song, you probably aren't good enough to be joining established gigging bands.. no offense. I had to learn a 20 song setlist in a few days for a fill in gig a few weeks back.

Also, when auditioning for a band they're looking for alot more than just how you play. Nobody likes a broke musician, or a musician without their own transportation
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jan 25, 2014,
thanks for the advice guys, I can use a lot of this. tanks
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Page 1 of 2