Hi,

I was wondering something that will probably be really obvious but here I go.

As I change my tuning a fair bit I don't want to get a guitar with a locking tremolo but I still use it and a guitar to me doesn't feel complete with out one so could I just not lock it at the top and tune like normal?

Ty
Yes and it will keep going out of tune very easily
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
So, are you not wanting to block the trem? If not, then you're going to have to keep adjusting your trem Springs to balance tension. Which will be a major pain in the ass. If you plan on blocking it, then it basically becomes a locking hard tail. You can change tuning all you want without problem.
no point, he wants to use the trem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Frarike
As I change my tuning a fair bit I don't want to get a guitar with a locking tremolo but I still use it and a guitar to me doesn't feel complete with out one so could I just not lock it at the top and tune like normal?

You can. But here's the thing -- if you increase the overall tension while changing your tuning, the butt end of the trem is going to raise up in the air and reduce your trem travel (possibly changing your action in the process), and if you reduce the overall tension, it's going to do the opposite, and the back end is going to settle onto the guitar.

As far as I know, the only solution that allows you to have a fully locked trem *and* change the tuning is the Variax JTV-89F. This is a highly underpublicized guitar, even among Variaxes. It doesn't show up in many stores, even in those who carry Variax. But it may be the best of the bunch.

It's a 24-jumbo-fret 16" radius 25.5" scale guitar with two humbuckers and all the Variax modeling goodies. One of those is the ability to pull up almost any alternate tuning (up to an octave in each direction per string) using pitch replacement technology. You don't change the tension on any string -- you just click or stomp (if you have an HD500 or Pod Pro) and what comes out of the amp is the alternate tuning. If you don't have the guitar plugged in, you'll hear garbage, but if you're playing with headphones or an amp, the guitar is outputting your changed tuning. I've even played bass with the silly thing.