Besides the brootlz, a lot of the music (guitar work) doesn't seem to match the vocals at all, a lot of the time. The verse riffs themselves don't sound loopable/like one consistent idea. Almost sounds like a solo itself sometimes (bands like periphery). Sounds like a huge ****ton of stuff happening with guitar and vocals are just slapped over it, regardless if it makes sense with the rest of the music. I like Periphery. And I'm just getting into this side of the progressive fence.

But I'm not really liking how insane and disjointed some of the riffs can be. Is this a common thing in the genre? And I don't mean disjointed by time sig or syncopation. I mean a riff existing for no real reason. You get through a segment of the song and it was just like; 1. Didn't match with the rest of the music 2. Sounded random as hell 3. guitar show-off

I'm starting to think that it's more a musicians style. Because only someone that plays can even appreciate the technicality of it. Seriously, I hate how so much of it sounds like it's being technical for the sake of being technical, because to my ears, it has no context at all.
You're not he only one. I like really well-done prog, but when it's just a bunch of stuff, I lose interest.
"I agree with Matthew about everything" - Everyone
I can agree to some extent. Some artists just write technical stuff for the sake of being technical, which is stupid in my opinion. I think it has to do with that many players (especially in the metal and shred genres) look down upon players that play simpler stuff, seeing them as inadequate cause they are writing something that might be "simpler" in technical terms.

I don't believe Periphery is technical for the sake of being technical though, i think it's just a very big part of their style to do that kind of instrumental arrangement. Misha is very much influenced by the earlier prog-metal bands and i guess this is the result of that in combination with his other influences. That style of riffing probably just comes naturally to him.

Then again, i haven't got much to say on the subject in that particular style. I've grown out of metal music in general, so i don't listen to it as much. I can say however that i like the approach of blues and country more, the vocals and guitarwork often compliment and imitate eachother.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
a lot of metal songs are purely riff-based - cool idea after cool idea, shoehorned together into a song.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
a lot of metal songs are purely riff-based - cool idea after cool idea, shoehorned together into a song.

I feel like Pantera is very much like this. Dimebag's 'rhythm' playing is basically lead. Where is the space for everything else?
But I'm not really liking how insane and disjointed some of the riffs can be. Is this a common thing in the genre?

No, periphery is just shit.

Half joking aside (they are still shit), it depends on if you mean 'the general sphere of prog metal' or whatever periphery is a part of. Bulb does it cuz hes the embodiment of that-kooky-girl-on-tumblr-who-thinks-shes-random on a guitar, but you'll not see it in the next most related band, like for example, TesseracT or Uneven Structure.

It really boils down to the writers in the bands, not the genre they're in.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Plus, the genre consists of bands like Dream Theater, Between the Buried and Me, Persefone, The Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, Nevermore, Painted In Exile, Scale the Summit, Animals As Leaders, etc. Progressive metal itself is such a huge expanse of a genre. None of the previously mentioned bands sound alike, but they are all thrown into the progressive metal category. It really is up to the musicians themselves on how they write, not a dictation of the genre.

But djent has such a big foot in the metal world right now, and that's a style that Periphery do take up in their writing. It's a big part of why many bands have 7 or 8 string guitars nowadays without actually utilizing them fully.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
they all sound the same to me, too many notes and no good hook to sing when doing the dishes.
Quote by innovine
they all sound the same to me, too many notes and no good hook to sing when doing the dishes.

You sound like my mum.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Well, progressive metal is all about being either wonky and as random as a katythepenguinovdoom or being extremely tedious an generic, you probably look for another genre to fix your problem.