Used or new, doesn't matter.

Please share your thoughts on what you'd buy if it were your only guitar
Last edited by kaylaswasted at Jan 24, 2014,
there are still too many variables to whittle it down to but a few choices.
do you like smaller or larger bodied guitars?
do you mainly play fingerstyle or do you do a lot of strumming?
do you like bright or bassy sounding guitars?
if it were me(actually, i just ordered it) i would choose Taylor's new 324 mohogany top guitar.
it doesn't have the electronics( can be installed later) or cutaway( it'd be pretty tough to add later) but i have others that have those. if you are diligent, you can find a dealer that will sell it for about what your budget is- if not, PM me.
we here cannot possibly help you choose one until you narrow the paramaters a bit.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
> do you like smaller or larger bodied guitars?

no preference, as long as it's easy to play & sounds good

> do you mainly play fingerstyle or do you do a lot of strumming?

mostly strumming but some fingerstyle

> do you like bright or bassy sounding guitars?

just a rich, melodic tone

> if it were me(actually, i just ordered it) i would choose Taylor's new 324 mohogany top guitar. it doesn't have the electronics( can be installed later)

I'd rather this have electronics and built-in tuner

> or cutaway

i want a cutaway so I can attempt higher lead parts occasionally
I have an Epiphone Masterbilt check them out which I love around 650 I believe solid back and sides sitka spruce top. Really neat pickup system (one at neck and other under the bridge) and a built in tuner.
nice response !
so a smaller GC or 00 sized guitar is out. they won't project or take strumming like you want.
yamaha's AC1R(or the A3R or the M series 'hog guitars), Taylor's 114ce or 214ce...even their fantastic GS mini( but no cutaway).
Fender's Tim Armstrong deluxe, Ovation's 1778 series( i think the 1778 tx-5gsm looks cool as hell) the Epi Masterbilt DR500m as stated above, Martin's DRS1,
Guild D150se.
there are so many ! do you have a decent, well stocked shop near you?
most here will tell you to buy whatever guitar they just bought( to help them self-justify their purchase) i find.
Thanks stepchild -

What about a Seagull? See no mention of that brand yet, and that Rustic Cutaway for around $500 seems to sell big and have great reviews. I wish i had a good music shop closer, but you also know that from one acoustic to the next there can be some variation...
that rustic is a good choice ! i just couldnt possibly name all the good choices.
i dont live near a good shop either... i feel your pain.
truthfully, it's been my experience that just about any guitar can be made to sound better with a decent set of strings and sometimes a good saddle along with a good setup... therein lies that problem of not having a good shop close by, no good setup available.
best sounding acoustics on the market today are the Taylors. Including the non solid wood models. the necks are easily fixed if you buy a used one. bolt on. i dont like their expression system. i install k&k's. then use a nice uncolored boost.