About 2 weeks ago I replaced my original guitar strings with some Ernie Ball Beefy Slinky's and fell in love with the tone. I always use this video to string my guitar.

Just now the high E string snapped while tuning up to standard tuning. I usually play in Drop C and was wondering what im doing wrong. Any string suggestions would also be great.

In case you're wondering, my guitar is an Ibanez GRG170DX.
Does it keep snapping or did it happen once? Your title and your post conflict.
What portion of the string broke?
It may be just a lil burr on the saddle. If that's the case, very light sanding will fix it.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Roc8995
Does it keep snapping or did it happen once? Your title and your post conflict.
What portion of the string broke?

The same thing happened on the original strings. It snapped at the peg.
Last edited by UltimateRime at Jan 24, 2014,
Right on the peg is unusual, that would be a strange place to have a burr. If it's only happened twice I'd be inclined to give it a little more time to see if you were just unlucky.
I know it may sound weird and it may just be me but Ernie Balls always snapped on me. D'Addarios always lasted much longer.
Quote by DeadMeadow
I know it may sound weird and it may just be me but Ernie Balls always snapped on me. D'Addarios always lasted much longer.

What gauge strings would you recommend for metalcore/metal/hard rock?
Ive used EB 10s for years and haven't had any strings break at all.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I had high E strings snap on my a few times in a short period, and realized that I had been kinking the string at or near the peg when installing it. Even with the kink wound partway around the peg, the tension was enough to break it.
Quote by UltimateRime

It is really preference. Some artists like Jimmy Page liked (especially the top strings) as small as possible because they are easier to bend and fret. Some artists like Omar Rodriguez Lopez uses as large as he can get them because he says he breaks them if not. With metalcore and metal the general consensus seems to be thick on the bottom for those lows and thin on the top for easy "shredding" lol. Funny thing I was watching a documentary called "It Might Get Loud" with Jack White, U2's the Edge, and Jimmy Page and they were talking about string gauges. Some guitars want strings changed all the time while others (I can agree I can't remember the last time I changed my slide guitar's strings, probably because they aren't being bent or tuned different alot) need to be changed all the time. Jack White said he at one time tryed using old piano strings to get them as large as possible because he heard somewhere that Kurt Cobain was doing it. Supposedly it was a punk thing. Anyways Ernie Ball offers a skinny top and heavy bottom pack you might want to try. I would try everything. It is like women, if you haven't went through a few then how do you know a good one?
Quote by Roc8995
Right on the peg is unusual, that would be a strange place to have a burr. If it's only happened twice I'd be inclined to give it a little more time to see if you were just unlucky.

^This is true. Burrs here are not common. However, on some "less expensive" tuners I've seen, the edge of the string hole in the tuning peg capstan has no bevel. It is actually rather sharp. This can cause the string to break at the tuning peg capstan. Take a look and see.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
This is a very newbish thread, putting beefy slinkys or an ibanez with a trem is a good idea for Drop C, but you can't tune it to standard without ****ing up everything about the bridge. And if you're asking people what kind of strings to use at this point....
You can usually buy individual strings for about a dollar or so. Just replace the high e (maybe buy a few extras). If there is something wrong, the high e will keep snapping. This could be because of a burr or sharp edge somewhere where the string contacts the guitar.

If the high e keeps snapping in the same spot (ex: tuning peg, nut, bridge) examine that spot on your guitar closely. If you see a burr, nick, or sharp edge on the guitar, file it away with some fine sandpaper or an old wound guitar string like a standard d-string. You could also just keep replacing the high e. Eventually the "bad spot" on the guitar that causes the string to break will wear away and it should be fine.

This happened on my Jackson RR3, except the high e kept snapping at the nut. I filled the slot where the string went with old strings a few times and eventually the problem went away.

-Edit-
I don't know what guage strings your using, but I wouldn't recommend anything higher than .011 for the first string to e standard for your setup.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Jan 24, 2014,
Quote by UltimateRime

Go with GHS boomers, they are cheap, sound great, mine seem to never rust (and I don't wipe them down after I'm done playing). I've only broken the high e trying to do stupid high bends (like 3 steps and above) or winding the wrong way while trying to drop tune (curse switching from my SG to strat too often). I play 10-52's, I used to play 9-46's (hybrids), and then I tried 10-56, after hearing that that was what Dave Mustaine plays, but that Low E string was killing my fingers and it was thicker than my acoustic's low E so I went to normal 10's. I like 10's over 9's because you can set the action a little lower and not get fret buzz the low E on the 9's constantly gave my buzzing issues since the taughtness of lower gauges is lower than that of higher gauges. Bends just took a little while to get used to. I find I over bend less too. I had the same problem with Ernie Ball's when I first started playing so I switched to GHS and never looked back.

As for gauge Randy Rhoads used 11's, Stevie Ray used 13's, Kirk Hammett uses 11's, Dave Mustaine uses 10's (hybrid) with 11's low three, EVH uses 9's, and Yngwie uses 9's, Billy Gibbons ises 8's (dude must have the gentlest touch ever). It really depends on if you are a lead or a rhythm player of course this isn't set in stone. If you're lead I'd say go lighter, for rhythm go heavier, or if you like both look in to the skinny top heavy bottom types of strings.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
FYI d'adarrio sells individuals.

i had strings in the same spot and i looked at it. massive burr. i just bought graphtech saddles. i am happy with them.

for tuners i would recommend gotoh or grover. i have used those for probably at least 8 years and haven't had an issue with either.

may as well get a new bone/graphtech/etc, then you would have to do good.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
How many times do you have the string wound/wrapped around the peg? Not having enough can also break the string at the peg.
also if you are changing tunings often it may be more susceptible to problems. every time you tune up the string moves a little bit. same as tune down. so if you are fluctuate tunings enouogh it may wear faster than normal.

but i don't think i have broken too many at the tuner.

this is speaking for a 60+ guitar down to 12, not at somewhere twenty now.

look at the tuner.

buy some singles so you don't wreck too many of your full packs of matching strings.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by DeadMeadow
I know it may sound weird and it may just be me but Ernie Balls always snapped on me.

Whilst there are certainly other factors to consider, Ernie Ball are pretty much the worst. I've had two sets of strings, identical guage, 48-11, both NWS, one was Ernie Ball and the other Rotosound. The Ernies gave out and the 2nd string snapped after a few weeks. The rotos on the other hand, I only had to replace after a couple of months when they were getting flat-sounding and really dirty.

Out of all the strings I've used, Ernie Balls are by a long shot the worst. I can vouch for Rotosounds and D'Addario personally, both high quality strings. I've heard the odd good thing about Dunlop strings aswell, but then I've never used them myself so I couldn't say.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Quote by chrisjust981
How many times do you have the string wound/wrapped around the peg? Not having enough can also break the string at the peg.

what this dude said^^^^
Quote by ynnednnud
what this dude said^^^^

make sure that the wraps don't overlap.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The only time I've ever broke strings was tuning between extremes... such as Drop C to Standard or Open G to Drop C. It's almost always the High E that snaps and they break at the tuner when it happens.

Either keep your guitar close in tunings (D Standard to Drop C, etc) or buy another guitar. You're putting a lot of stress on that little string going between D and E constantly.

EDIT: Think of the tab on a coke can. After you move it back and forth a few times it finally breaks, same thing is happening here.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Jan 25, 2014,
Quote by Flux'D
The only time I've ever broke strings was tuning between extremes... such as Drop C to Standard or Open G to Drop C. It's almost always the High E that snaps and they break at the tuner when it happens.

Either keep your guitar close in tunings (D Standard to Drop C, etc) or buy another guitar. You're putting a lot of stress on that little string going between D and E constantly.

EDIT: Think of the tab on a coke can. After you move it back and forth a few times it finally breaks, same thing is happening here.

This. Your guitar's neck will appreciate less violent changes as well. Tuned to C, my stings would feel like spaghetti.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.