I recently had my strat set up. I took it home, played for about 20 minutes, then fret buzz had came back. Why? How much buzz is too much?
In my opinion, all buzz is too much; but others will disagree and say it's fine as long as it's not heard through the amplifier.

This might sound stupid, but are you absolutely sure it's your guitar buzzing? I once thought my guitar had buzz going on, until I realised it was my classical guitar on the wall ringing out because of the volume.
If you can’t handle any fret buzz at all you have two choices: raise your action or get your frets filed by a luthier every year.
Quote by I K0nijn I

This might sound stupid, but are you absolutely sure it's your guitar buzzing? I once thought my guitar had buzz going on, until I realised it was my classical guitar on the wall ringing out because of the volume.

I had the same problem. I thought my guitar had buzz going on until I realized it was the classical guitar on the wall of some guy in Belgium.
Quote by callmedescry
I recently had my strat set up. I took it home, played for about 20 minutes, then fret buzz had came back. Why? How much buzz is too much?

It's very possible that the guitar's neck responded to a difference in temperature or humidity in your home as opposed to that in the tech's place of business. If the guitar didn't buzz at the tech's place, it's possible that a small truss rod adjustment is in order.
I would say if it's something you notice then it's a problem. I believe that fret buzz is usually only a problem if you can hear it through the amp, but sometimes a little bit of fret buzz can make the guitar sound a bit dead too. Also, usually I find that on guitars with more curved fingerboard radii like strats, if you're getting fret buzz, the chances are you're gonna have problems with string bends choking out too.

but like dspellman said, if it was fine before and then started buzzing again, that means either the neck responded to a small temperature/humidity change, or it's also possible that it just took a while for the neck to fully respond to the truss rod adjustment. I think any decent tech should be willing to re-adjust the truss rod free of charge in that situation.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Any amount of fret buzz is unacceptable unless it is when you strum hard. But in normal playing no fret buzz on any of my guitars, $99 kit build to $2000 PRS none have buzz and they all have good action
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dspellman
I had the same problem. I thought my guitar had buzz going on until I realized it was the classical guitar on the wall of some guy in Belgium.