Recently i was at newcastle uni watching this guy play a few songs during a lunchtime set. Anyway through his set he pulled out this small harp shaped instrument with a wooden frame body with strings, maybe 7 or more possibly. The instrument had a tinkly kind of lullabye sound to it, and i think he mentioned it was from south africa possibly (although my memory is quite hazey. Anyway based on the information i have given which isnt much, could anyone suggest what kind of instrument i was listening to. The instrument looked kind of tribal but the guy had built his own pickup into it so he was pumping thejingley lullabye sound out nice and loud. It was also finger picken i believe. Any help would be apreciated i have been searching the net far and wide to no avail. Cheers Joe
Quote by jdm90
this small harp shaped instrument with a wooden frame body with strings, maybe 7 or more possibly. The instrument had a tinkly kind of lullabye sound to it

Was it a harp?
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Were the strings played vertically or horizontally?
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Either it was a harp or a Koto.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
sorry my reply is a bit slow i have been overseas travelling. I think it is possibly some kind of african harp. I dont think its a lyre, or dulcimer. I believe the strings were plucked horizontally, and the tone was different to that of a guitar so i know it definitely wasn't a guitar. thanks for the help all and the link Guodlca i will continue my search!
Was it a zither?
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Hurdy Gurdy?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
i believe instruments sound had a more bell like tonality in contrast to traditional stringed instrument qualities if this helps
zither looks very similar to the instrument i think , but the sound is a little bit different with less strings on the instrument i'm trying to find
It was probably just a small harp.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
the kinnor harps appearance and sound look like the instrument!