Hello again everyone. I've been asking about Mesa's for the last little bit, and have kind of cooled off about them, not entirely though. I'm going to try and cover all of the bases in the information below. It might be a long read.

Budget? - $2000 CAD. Obviously less is better, but thats my max. Maybe another couple hundred more depending on how awesome said amp is.

Genres? - A little bit of everything. My favourite bands, not exactly music I play, but am influenced by are, Russian Circles, Opeth, Minus the Bear, with lesser bands being Karnivool, Alexisonfire, If These Trees Could Talk, Foo Fighters, Thrice, Caspian, and the latest Dillinger Escape Plan album. I switch often from cleans, to slightly overdriven, to distortion, often in the same song.

I'm wanting a tube amp with at least 2 channels, at least 50 watts, maybe 100, and an FX loop. Things I would like would be: lots of clean headroom , each channel to have its own EQ, no onboard reverb (I'll get a pedal), and power soak (ex: 50 watts down to ~25 watts).

The genres I play are kind of hard to pin down, as I play with two groups. One group I play with has a drummer, myself on guitar and a keyboardist. The sound leans more towards modern rock, with slight modern hardcore and metal influences. Most often I'm playing lower string riffs for verses and basic chords for choruses with the keyboardist playing chords and more melodies; theres lots of vocal harmonies as well. (I won't be able to jam with these guys until summer.)

The second group I play with, and am currently playing with, are more metal oriented. They enjoy bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engage, Avenged Sevenfold, Lamb of God, Metallica, Atreyu, and Trivium.
This group has a second guitarist who is a killer rhythm guitarist, with a fairly bassy tone, which makes me more of a lead player. I'm doing more chord work than single lines. (I'd like to think of myself in this group as a vast inferior version of Mikal Akerfeldt from Opeth )

New or Used? - Preferably new from Long and McQuade http://www.long-mcquade.com/ or Quest Musique, http://www.questmusique.com/ I will more than likely not be able to try it before I buy, as I'll be buying over the phone/online, so I'm counting on you guys.

Home or Gig? - Mostly used for gigging and full band practice, and occasional home practice.

Closest City? - Winnipeg, Manitoba (preferable), or Saskatoon or Regina, Saskatchewan.

Current Gear? - In signature.

I've been looking into Orange, and Marshall, but I don't know if Marshall's can get me the cleans that I'd want for post-rock. Or if Oranges could, for that matter. In particular I was looking Oranges OR-100H and the TH-100, and Marshall's JCM900. I've also lierally just found out about the Mesa Boogie Lonesatr 2x12 combo which could work nicely as well. Could I hook the Lonestar up to my Blackstar as an extension cabinet?

I'd also rather not split my money and buy 2 separate amps as it'd be too much of a hassle to haul. A guitar, pedal board, 2x12 cab, and amp head is bad enough for me, and my car, to haul around.

I think I got most of it, but ask away if you have more questions, or need better answers.

Thanks GG&A.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
An Orange won't give you cleans like a Fender, but they are pretty flexible amps, overall. If you look at their artist list, you're going to see classic rockers, punks, metal, post-rock...really damn near every modern guitar-using genre except jazz & country.

Their artist list is sortable by the particular amp used by each artist: pick an amp, and you'll see who uses it. If you can find artists you know, you'll get a feel for what kind of things to expect.
https://www.orangeamps.com/artists/sort-product/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 25, 2014,
An orange OR-100 might actually do the job I think.
You will probably be able to use the lonestar as a cabinet or just head attached to another cabinet.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Rm100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I like the idea of the OR100, I am a big fan of Orange amps. In the same vein as British flavored amps, I recommend a Marshall JCM 2000. They can be had used for around $600 used off of the GC website. Amazing amps, good cleans, good 80's/thrash metal distortion as well as light distortion and with a pedal can get into more metal territory. When I had my JCM it could do Opeth really well.
If you must buy new then I stay with the OR, maybe even a Laney VH100.

Best of luck!!!
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Play an EVH 5150iii 50w.... It will cover everything your playing.
+1 5150 III, but you need a MIDI controller to get rid of the volume difference between Ch1/2.

Mesa Single Rectifier/Rectoverb would also be worth a look
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
From researching a bit, a lot of the bands that I like used JCM800's at one point or another; more so than Orange's.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I second a 5150III. Played one again the other day, loved it. However, a used Splawn Nitro or Quickrod would do well for you, if you would consider going used (and if they're accessible for decent money in Canada)
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by AWACS
From researching a bit, a lot of the bands that I like used JCM800's at one point or another; more so than Orange's.

A used JCM2000 DSL50/100 would be worth a look if you want the Marshall tone, so would the Laney GH50/100 and the Laney VH100r
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey JSX

Laney VH100R

Orange Rockerverb MkII

Mesa Roadster
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 5150 III, but you need a MIDI controller to get rid of the volume difference between Ch1/2.

Mesa Single Rectifier/Rectoverb would also be worth a look

Gain on channel 1/2 at noon and use your guitar volume knob.... And it's not bad at all. If your playing live you really don't notice. And the for the $$$ this amp costs it's performance is off the Charts! if it bothers you take it to a Tech and have it modded its a very cheap mod.
Well, Mesa's have caught my eye again. How does GG&A feel about the Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic 100? Its a little up there price wise, but its one of the few I can get at Long and Mcquade, has 2 channels, power switch to 50 watts, and an FX loop.

However, as its 3am, I haven't checked out how its sounded yet. Thoughts?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I've just ordered one of these for my Randall to cover all my Marshall needs.
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-all

I already have my Fender sounds from the Tweed module. I'll let you know what this Marshall module is like if you are interested. I should get it in the next day or two. I do think that an MTS series Randall would suit you.
I intend to put a Mark series module in the third slot so then I'll have Fender, Marshall and Mesa tones in the one amp without having to resort to all this digital modelling bollocks. The RM100 is a damn fine amp, man. Got lots of things going for it and they go pretty cheap used in the US - and you're on the same voltage so ........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Unfortunately I have not played the Royal Atalantic. I've heard really good things about it though. I'm guessing it is not as aggressive as a Rectifier but more aggressive than an Electra Dyne.

I'd have to +1 the ideas so far. 5153, Rockerverb II, JSX, RM100, Splawn, Rectoverb.

PS: I forgot to tell you I searched your Craigslist the other day but couldn't find anything.

Oh and Nice OP
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
I've just ordered one of these for my Randall to cover all my Marshall needs.
http://salvationmods.com/index.php?page=mash-all

I already have my Fender sounds from the Tweed module. I'll let you know what this Marshall module is like if you are interested. I should get it in the next day or two. I do think that an MTS series Randall would suit you.
I intend to put a Mark series module in the third slot so then I'll have Fender, Marshall and Mesa tones in the one amp without having to resort to all this digital modelling bollocks. The RM100 is a damn fine amp, man. Got lots of things going for it and they go pretty cheap used in the US - and you're on the same voltage so ........

Cathbard, where could I buy a Randall RM100? Is eBay the only place to get one? I've never really seen much in the way of Randall amps in my part of Canada.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Well, Mesa's have caught my eye again. How does GG&A feel about the Mesa Boogie Royal Atlantic 100? Its a little up there price wise, but its one of the few I can get at Long and Mcquade, has 2 channels, power switch to 50 watts, and an FX loop.

Honestly, we play A LOT of the same music. I mean, almost to a T. If Mesa is what you want, look into the Mesa F-50. It's perfect for what you (we) play. Gorgeous clean channel and a mean drive channel. Be warned, you'll have to go used. Look at Guitar Center's used website. There's one for $500 in NY. 99% sure they will ship to you.

GUITAR AMP
USED MESA/BOOGIE F-50 50W TUBE HEAD
Details »
Amps
Guitar Center Johnson City
Johnson City, New York 13790
607-797-3042
View Store's Used Inventory
Contact Store
Now Only
$499.99
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sorry to horn in, but...

Mesa gurus- how clean are the cleans on their tube combos? I'm in live with my Fender HRD's cleans, and I'm shopping for an Orange tube combo for heavier genres.

But Mesa tube combos are a mystery to me. Enlighten, please.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Sorry to horn in, but...

Mesa gurus- how clean are the cleans on their tube combos? I'm in live with my Fender HRD's cleans, and I'm shopping for an Orange tube combo for heavier genres.

But Mesa tube combos are a mystery to me. Enlighten, please.

The cleans are generally good, but darker than most fenders. Some, like the lonestar, are fantastic
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
The cleans are generally good, but darker than most fenders. Some, like the lonestar, are fantastic

In my experience, they aren't necessarily darker, but "thicker" than Fender cleans, if that makes sense. They can certainly be dialed in bright if need be.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by AWACS

Fantastic amp and extremely versatile, but I think of it as more of a rock amp. I'm not entirely certain how it would handle Metal though.

Re: The Lonestar.... It's the one amp that always makes me happy when I play it and it's an amp I will *never* sell, however the lead channel is very -VERY- thick and completely and totally inappropriate for pretty much everything on your list save Minus The Bear, because they actually use one.

Reading your list of influences two things come to mind. Mesa & JVM.

The Mark V still is the first thing that comes to mind. MTB would be covered by Mark I, Tweed & Edge modes. Opeth by Fat Clean, Crunch & IIC+, Russian Circles by Crunch, Edge and possibly Tweed if you really jacked it up. Foo Fighters Crunch/Edge, DEP & Trivium by Extreme and so on...

Splawn Quick Rod comes to mind, although like most Brit voiced amps the cleans aren't going to be super pristine.

The RM100 also comes to mind. Personally I don't like them, I've always found that something about them sounds and feels wrong to me. Like they're a kind of sad budget version of that which they imitate. However that's simply my opinion and they would definitely offer you the versatility that you desire.

The biggest problem for you is that your influences are so diverse. The Mark always comes to mind because it's capable of covering any style and genre convincingly. There aren't a ton of amps out there that can cover the kind of ground the Mark can unless you start looking into high end modeling like the AxeFX or the Kemper --both of which would actually be ideal for you if not for the massive price of setting up a rig...

So really what we need to know is what tones are absolutely essential to you and which areas are you willing to make sacrifices?

Quote by LaidBack
In my experience, they aren't necessarily darker, but "thicker" than Fender cleans, if that makes sense. They can certainly be dialed in bright if need be.

Yeah, they've got more lower mids and less upper mids than a Fender. They can definitely get bright in the highs if you want them to be though.
My biggest influences in my actual playing, and not just bands that I like, would be Opeth, Alexisonfire and Thrice/post-hardcore kind of bands, and Karnivool, and post-rock, in that order.

A good tube distorted sound is primarily what I'm after, but I also use clean tones almost as much as dirty ones.

I'm not quite sure of what my perfect tone in my head is, but I fond Opeth to be a fairly big "foundation influence" to me, if that makes sense.

Thanks for your time guys.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Quote by AWACS
Cathbard, where could I buy a Randall RM100? Is eBay the only place to get one? I've never really seen much in the way of Randall amps in my part of Canada.
Ebay or Craigslist I guess. I was shown some on US ebay while discussing it with the WTLT guys prior to buying mine and there were a couple for around the $600 mark.
I bought mine new from a shop. I'm in Australia so things are a tad different. I effectively paid $2300 for mine with two modules.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Okay. Back again. Today, I'm considering a Mesa Boogie Mark IV. Theres one on kijiji for $1300. Thoughts? I could ask $1200 and see what he says. Its a 90's Mark IV, iirc.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Looks good, but only says they would ship to the 48 states. Could ask him I suppose..
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive