Hey y'all,

Now look, I'm trying to get this Br00tal guitar tone but it just isn't happening! Is it my gear? My awful playing? The fact that I've now been wearing the same attire for about 8 days? Help me out here!

I find that my guitar tracks are holding a particular "SHHHHHHHH" sound. Let me tell you, it's maddening. I try taking the Gain down but... you know... The 'Br00tal' and junk.

This is the crap I'm talking about - https://soundcloud.com/mortal_punk666/soundcheck

Oh, my gear? - Should probably help you guys out. I've seen loads of Amigos needing help and it's always, "The Hell is in yo' rig, fool!?", so here's my chain...

Framus Diablo w/ Seymour Duncan SH-4 - Mesa/Boogie Mark V Combo, Extreme Mode - Celestion V30 - Shure SM57 - Focusrite Scarlette 2i2 - Logic

Mic's a couple of inches from the cloth, like one of my turds at the moment... lemme upload this and replenish the pond with some brown trout.
Not sure what your goal is in using the flowery language, but whatevs...

Just asking the question and giving the details would suffice.

FWIW, it sounds pretty decent to start with, but I can see how you would want more of an "in your face" kind of sound.

Can you help us out a little but uplaoding *just* the guitar?

What I'm thinking is a couple of ideas....

1. Turn down the gain a bit more still.
2. Add your bass guitar and see how the whole thing fits together.
3. Maybe what I'd try first... record a part with a clean guitar playing the same part. That will give you lots of transients. Mix that in to a level just before you actually start hearing the clean guitar. The effect will be the big distortion sound you're going for with lots of attack transients, which will sound much more in your face.

I'm not sure I hear any panning. Is this just one guitar track? If it is, try double-tracking, but make sure it's tight. Be careful, though.... as much as two guitar tracks almost always sounds bigger than one, there is a law of diminishing returns. Sixteen guitar tracks will basically always sound smaller than two.

So try double-tracking the guitars, panning each take starting somewhere around 75 right and 75 left. Season to taste. Add in a third and fourth track of just clean guitar - panned exactly the same - to add transients. Bring it up until *just* below the point where it becomes noticeable, and then back it off a hair. Season to taste.

I did that sort of thing on the solo for one of our songs and it turned out pretty well. When you know the clean track is there, you can kind hear it, but when you don't, then you don't hear it.

www.now-here-this.com - go tot he "Listen Here" media player and the song is On Trial. The solo starts at around the 0.55 second mark of the clip. Since it is just the solo, there is no panning - just the distorted lead track and the clean one layered underneath it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Cavalcade
Oh wow.

I know... Ain't it just neat-o neat-o.

Anyways, Cavalcade, I took my Parametric EQ and took out 4dB at 600Hz and gave it a little boost around the 250 mark - Sounds tasty. Thanks muchly.

As for you, Chris. Well, well... aren't we needy.

I appreciate your comments, and here's the guitars-only track, with the aforementioned amendments made - https://soundcloud.com/mortal_punk666/soundheck-gtrs

It's already double-tracked with each guitar panned 100% both ways... like a bisexual.
Just to clarify - Each guitar track is NOTHING like a bisexual!

Two tracks... one going hard left, and another going hard right. So like... unisexuals, double-teaming that filthy bass. Ohhhhhh, yeah...
One more thing, though... If you listen closely, somewhere around 2 kHz, there's a really scratchy sound, like a whistle. This sort of thing comes from the frequency response of the cab, and you can even hear it on some otherwise well-produced records. If you can hear it, try removing it like this:
*Open the parametric and pick a band that you aren't using.
*Turn the bandwidth all the way down, and the volume all the way up.
*Adjust the frequency until it matches that whistling sound. (Somewhere around 2.2k is where stuff like this usually happens.)
*Turn the band volume down until you can't hear it anymore.
You're a Goddamn GENIUS!

I could hear it but I had no idea what the Hell it was, then you came in all like, *BAM*... it's cab-bage.

It was at 2.1kHz, and I sorted that sucka right out!

Thanks again.
Quote by Mortal_Punk666

As for you, Chris. Well, well... aren't we needy.

No, needy is when I point you to any number of other more recent projects that are currently active that I'm trying to promote.

Helping is when I point someone to the only example of my use of a technique that is available where I have actually used it.

Plonk.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by Cavalcade
Oh wow.

How does this contribute to the thread? It's, like the second website I ever made. Let's see the website you made almost nine years ago.

Pfft.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 25, 2014,
Chris, your band is good (even if it's not my thing), and you've been a huge help on these forums, to me and everyone else, but damn, that site is cheesy. You've spent enough time helping clueless nubs like me learn to mix, because we're too cheap to pay for lessons. It's fine with me if you take some time off to update your press materials.

E:
Quote by axemanchris
How does this contribute to the thread? It's, like the second website I ever made. Let's see the website you made 7 years ago.

Well, fine, we can be like that if you want. Of course not, since I had the common sense to take it down. It wasn't useful to me anymore, and so I didn't update it, or pay someone to update it.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jan 25, 2014,
As I said, the site was built June 2005. The band is no longer functioning. I have a number of other more current websites for a number of other more current projects. None of that is the point. The point was, the example I had only existed there so I pointed to it.

Mocking me for it just makes yourselves look bad.

CT

Quote by axemanchris
As I said, the site was built June 2005. The band is no longer functioning. I have a number of other more current websites for a number of other more current projects. None of that is the point. The point was, the example I had only existed there so I pointed to it.

Mocking me for it just makes yourselves look bad.

CT

Personally, I would have just opened up an existing project, laid down a quick scratch track, and DropBoxed it, if that was the alternative. See? We can both be dicks about this, but that doesn't help anything. The main topic's been pretty well covered by now.
Quote by Cavalcade
Personally, I would have just opened up an existing project, laid down a quick scratch track, and DropBoxed it, if that was the alternative. See?

Seriously? Rather than just throw down a link to where something already existed? I have to assume you're pulling my chain on that.

CT