no it's not good for that kind of music... you have to be more precise on what you want
i don't understand why gibsons. they are not really metal guitars... What is your budget?
Im craving a Gibson.Already have two Jackson's.

Ps:I also play classic/hard rock.Also big fan of stuff like slayer and judas priest and children of bodom.

So would this guitar be able to handle all of that?
it'll handle classic and hard rock ok but i wouldn't want those lowish output (despite what gibson says) alnico II pickups for metal really
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Why? Last I checked he played classic rock. When he starts up a metalcore band we can talk.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have seen the guitarist for black metal band mayhem Euronomoys(I think it's spelt right) using a gibson les Paul.
dude are here for advice for for saying "I know it better than you"?
we are not saying that ou can't, we are only saying that f you want to play proper metal with a proper metal guitar and you have that budget of 900€, i would suggest an esp ltd mh-1000... it's better in every way FOR METAL... Angus plays hard rock, not extreme metal like you say...
Those SGs are good for classic rock and depending on the amp some "metal". The 490t in the bridge is weak for what you would need for metal. I actually like the 490r in the neck but the bridge is weak in those guitars for anything too much above classic rock.

If your amp can pull most of the weight then you can get into metal territory but there are a plethora of guitars to get into metal territory that can be had for much cheaper than the Gibson. That being said I liked the older faded series, just not for metal.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
more about your amp than the guitar. lower output pups will retain more clarity which can help with metal when paired with high gain amp. my SG (Vintage copy of 61 style Gibby) does fine for metal (although I don't play modern metal really) through my Ultra I can get some of those modern tones easily.
What other guitars would be good for both classic rock and extreme metal?I need something without a Floyd and I need 24 frets.
i already told you. an esp ltd m-1000 or mh-1000 (different necks).They have high output active pickups, a floyd rose and 24 frets and they are fantatsic ( i have the m-1000). There aare many others link the jackson dinky, the schechter blackjack c1 fr, the charvel desolation dx 1 fr and the dean custom 550 floyd. there are plenty.
Quote by Jayerrr
i already told you. an esp ltd m-1000 or mh-1000 (different necks).They have high output active pickups, a floyd rose and 24 frets and they are fantatsic ( i have the m-1000). There aare many others link the jackson dinky, the schechter blackjack c1 fr, the charvel desolation dx 1 fr and the dean custom 550 floyd. there are plenty.

I need something without a Floyd rose.
oh sorry. most of the models i listed are also avaliable without a floyd. did you even go to the esp website?
Quote by JudasPriest7778
What other guitars would be good for both classic rock and extreme metal?I need something without a Floyd and I need 24 frets.

look at some BC Rich guitars like a Mockingbird or a Bich. i have an Eagle ( not as common as the others i mentioned). they will easily do both and don't let anyone tell you they are just metal guitars. back in the 70s players like Joe Perry, Neil Geraldo (pat benetar) and Rick Derringer used them for classic rock/hard rock tunes.
Quote by JudasPriest7778
I have seen the guitarist for black metal band mayhem Euronomoys(I think it's spelt right) using a gibson les Paul.

well, sure I mean you can probably find an exception to every rule, but that doesn't mean the original rule (or more accurately, "rule of thumb") isn't valid.

I mean, it's your money and your call.

Can you play metal on a vintage(ish) spec gibson? Sure (depending on what you mean by metal). And if you have your heart set on a gibson then go for it, it's your money and you have to live with your decision.

Does that mean it's the best option for playing metal (or even metal combined with classic rock)? Possibly not.

Quote by monwobobbo
more about your amp than the guitar. lower output pups will retain more clarity which can help with metal when paired with high gain amp.

I keep hearing this and I'm not convinced it's true. Don't get me wrong- everything else being equal it may well be (though just turning down your gain with higher output pickups may achieve a similar effect). The problem is everything else very rarely is equal- most metal-orientated high output pickups are voiced to remain tight(ish) under heavy distortion whereas most lower output pickups aren't, and in my experience this normally has a bigger effect on how tight a pickup sounds under extreme levels of distortion than the pickup's output. I mean my Miracle Man is ridiculously tight, it's tight to a fault. It's far tighter, by a large margin, than any low output pickup I've tried.

The Paf Pro is maybe the only low output pickup I've tried which is tight with heavy distortion, and if anything that just proves my point because it has a more modern voicing than most paf-type pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This thread is golden...

Anyway, that SG is good enough for a lot of metal, but what I think the main point here is; there are a lot of other guitars that would be better choices. I wouldn't get caught up on the name on the headstock. Gibson makes great stuff, and a lot of metal guys like them, but most of the higher gain or 'brutal' genres would really benefit from something else.

If you really like the shape and look, try taking a peek at the ESP/LTD Vipers. I'm a low gain amp and Strat guy, and I even really like the ESP/LTD line, they're definitely worth a look.

EDIT: The LTD Viper-1000 and LTD EC-1000 are both great choices.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 26, 2014,
Quote by Dave_Mc
well, sure I mean you can probably find an exception to every rule, but that doesn't mean the original rule (or more accurately, "rule of thumb") isn't valid.

I mean, it's your money and your call.

Can you play metal on a vintage(ish) spec gibson? Sure (depending on what you mean by metal). And if you have your heart set on a gibson then go for it, it's your money and you have to live with your decision.

Does that mean it's the best option for playing metal (or even metal combined with classic rock)? Possibly not.

I keep hearing this and I'm not convinced it's true. Don't get me wrong- everything else being equal it may well be (though just turning down your gain with higher output pickups may achieve a similar effect). The problem is everything else very rarely is equal- most metal-orientated high output pickups are voiced to remain tight(ish) under heavy distortion whereas most lower output pickups aren't, and in my experience this normally has a bigger effect on how tight a pickup sounds under extreme levels of distortion than the pickup's output. I mean my Miracle Man is ridiculously tight, it's tight to a fault. It's far tighter, by a large margin, than any low output pickup I've tried.

The Paf Pro is maybe the only low output pickup I've tried which is tight with heavy distortion, and if anything that just proves my point because it has a more modern voicing than most paf-type pickups.

well as has been said there are better choices than the mentioned SG and certainly most of those have high output pups. being mainly a strat guy I tend to look for that kind of clarity even with my humbucker guitars. as I've mentioned many times I don't play downtuned new metal. I do play 80s thrash and stuff like Judas Priest which is metal and the lower output pups work for that pretty well. different approaches can yield similar if not the same results. now my BC Rich has higher output pups than my SG so I'd be more likely to use it for the heavier metal stuff. I do find that my eagle does pretty good in low distortion settings (not my first choice for real clean stuff) which is why I mentioned it as a possible alternative.
Yeah I don't really play the really brutal stuff either. I'm tuned to E most of the time and probably playing similar stuff to you. And I agree, you can often get similar results from different approaches.

I just think that SG with the low output alnico II bridge pickup maybe isn't the best choice. Even in Gibson'sSG range there are better options with (slightly) more suitable pickups, I'd say.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah I don't really play the really brutal stuff either. I'm tuned to E most of the time and probably playing similar stuff to you. And I agree, you can often get similar results from different approaches.

I just think that SG with the low output alnico II bridge pickup maybe isn't the best choice. Even in Gibson'sSG range there are better options with (slightly) more suitable pickups, I'd say.

no doubt. on the other hand it's often the guy that dares to be different that sets the trends. working on my own tone has been a life long process for me and going with the pack has never been my way. was told a long time ago that sounding like everybody else won't get you on the cover of guitar magazines. not likely to get on any covers but I tend to have my own tone (good or bad is up to those who hear it). I try to encourage this in my advice.
yeah, it's definitely a balancing act between just sounding like everyone else and trying to use unsuitable stuff.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, it's definitely a balancing act between just sounding like everyone else and trying to use unsuitable stuff.

oh yeah never suggest using a hollow body jazz box for metal no matter how different you wanna be lol. right tools for the job but sometimes those tools might not be what first comes to mind. exploring can get you great results.
yeah learn what works but keep an open mind, kind of thing, I suppose.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you really like the SG, then buy it and get a high output aftermarket pickup for metal. We can only suggest, but in the end it will be your guitar.
First off, I take it you would be ordering the guitar online, thus not able to try it out before you buy. If that's not the case, just go try it out at a store through an amp similar to yours.

Many folks have already pointed out that the Alnico pickups in that guitar aren't exactly a popular choice for the tones you're likely aiming for. However, that's not to say you wouldn't like the tone, but those pickups aren't really thought of as extreme metal pickups, and are more geared for rock tones.

The amp you use, and the amount of gain, is a factor. The guys in Lamb of God use Duncan 59's, a pretty low output pickup, but still manage to do metal just fine. If you have an amp that can provide all the gain you need, a high output pickup isn't necessary. That being said, as Dave mentioned, high output pickups are generally voiced more for use in metal.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.