Hello guys,

I own two Ibanez guitars, not low-end, not high-end, just mid-range good ol' Iron Label.

So, with my Line 6 SPider IV 75 Watt ( I don't know why I bought a 75 watt, when I play in my bed room, always keeping the volume down to almost nothing ).

So.. I was wondering what the ideal amount of watts would be for an amp and would it be possible to get an upgrade from a Line 6 Spider IV with only a 100 bucks?

I am not going to buy the suggestions made in this thread, but I am looking for an amp and I am going to the guitar store to test the amps, written about in this threads, if I get any replies that is

Thank you for your patience and reading, have an awesome day.

Rock on!
Just keep your amp, even with your amp as a trade and $100 you will not get anything better at all unless you find a used Peavey Ultra combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Just keep your amp, even with your amp as a trade and $100 you will not get anything better at all unless you find a used Peavey Ultra combo

Well, I just always heard that even lower-end Marshall amps could beat my Line 6. So.. How much would you estimate for an actual upgrade, the 100$ was a little hypothetically, yet, it shouldn't be over 500$. Just around 100$ - 500$.
Give us this info and we can help much better:
Location?
Budget?
New or used?
Do you gig or play with others?

Some Marshall amps are good, but the Marshall MG series is way worse than your spider.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What style of music do you play/tone are you after? You should be able to upgrade your amp under $500 if you're really a bedroom guitarist that has no aspirations of gigging.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Quote by jb_designs
What style of music do you play/tone are you after? You should be able to upgrade your amp under $500 if you're really a bedroom guitarist that has no aspirations of gigging.

That's exactly what I am A bedroom guitarist for many years now.

It's in the general, melodic, heavy and trash metal (metalcore as well). Hard rock/Alternative, clean for occassions, but that's for the most part.

Thanks for the replies guys !

Add. info:

Europe, playing for fun and even if I do gigs, I would never take my amp with me. It's more of a hobby which has grown with me. It should definitely be new.
Last edited by cyruselite at Jan 25, 2014,
You can get a used 6505 combo for under $400. It would work well for you.

If you're really set on new I'm not sure what to go with. Probably best bet is a cheap small tube amp and a pedal. An AMT pedal or the wampler triple wreck come to mind.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
If you're insistent on new, see if you can get a Peavey Vypyr 30, or the new Vypyr VIP-2. They go for about $200, and sound great. The original Vypyr is better for tighter, "recorded sounding" metal tones, while the VIPs sound a bit more organic and are a bit more dynamic on the clean and lower gain settings, while the modern high gain tones are a bit lacking compared to the originals.

The Vypyrs distortion is all analog (opposed to the digital distortion in the Spiders), and it really does make a huge difference. I have a pretty decent sized pedalboard that has all kinds of analog and digital effects on it, and the Peavey Classic model on my VIP-3 handles everything on the board exceptionally well for a solid state/modeling amp (with one exception, it doesn't like my Boss HM-2 as well as a tube amp does. But it's a negligible exception compared to all the other stuff on my board it takes perfectly fine).

I have owned several Vypyrs (SS15, SS 75, Tube 120H, and VIP-3). If you have any questions about them, just ask.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ When your talking going from a Spider 75 to a Vypyr 30/VIP 2 I would not waist the money. The Spider is just as good as those amps IMO, they are beginner amps. TS should just keep what he has instead of throwing money away. If he wanted to upgrade to a Vypyr tube 60 then I'd say yes.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ When your talking going from a Spider 75 to a Vypyr 30/VIP 2 I would not waist the money. The Spider is just as good as those amps IMO, they are beginner amps. TS should just keep what he has instead of throwing money away. If he wanted to upgrade to a Vypyr tube 60 then I'd say yes.

I strongly disagree.

I have *literally* spent hours trying to dial in Spiders and Spider Valves. It cannot be done. Dialing in a Vypyr takes minutes.

I tried using an EQ to dial in a Spider. It doesn't do ****ing anything. But EQs work perfectly fine in front of Vypyrs.

There is a very notable difference that I want to convey, as someone who has used both extensively. The Vypyrs shouldn't be lumped in with Spiders, because while they are the same price point and are both entry level amps, the Vypyr is not digitally modeled bullshit.

Should TS save up $250-300 and get a used Peavey Ultra? Absolutely. But if he's not willing to go used or save up? A Vypyr is going to be the best option there is under $500 min (at which point you can look at Jet City JCA2212C, Peavey 6505+ 112, Laney IRT30 112).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Robbgnarly

Well, not to at all offend anyone on this forum, but I don't really like the sound of Peavey. It's a thing about chemistry, there is nothing wrong with the sound.

I just really always favored a Marshall, well not always, until I got a little more experienced.

Being a student and all, what would be the best suggestion for saving up and buying then? It seems as if, the amount of money I have available for now, doesn't quite cut it. How much would I need for an improvement, which I would be able to hear with no doubt?

I know it's a lot of terrible and annoying questions, but I felt this is the place to discuss and ask, as going to the store, there will be a marketing value from the advisers.
Quote by Offworld92
I strongly disagree.

I have *literally* spent hours trying to dial in Spiders and Spider Valves. It cannot be done. Dialing in a Vypyr takes minutes.

I tried using an EQ to dial in a Spider. It doesn't do ****ing anything. But EQs work perfectly fine in front of Vypyrs.

There is a very notable difference that I want to convey, as someone who has used both extensively. The Vypyrs shouldn't be lumped in with Spiders, because while they are the same price point and are both entry level amps, the Vypyr is not digitally modeled bullshit.

Should TS save up $250-300 and get a used Peavey Ultra? Absolutely. But if he's not willing to go used or save up? A Vypyr is going to be the best option there is under $500 min (at which point you can look at Jet City JCA2212C, Peavey 6505+ 112, Laney IRT30 112).

Everyone here acts like the spider is absolutely horrible, it is not. I had a SV HD100 for years I gigged with. It took some time, but I prefer it over the Vypyr tube without a doubt

But yes if he's is going to upgrade, the Jet City, and Laney are worth a look. The Laney Cub12r is a nice JCM800 type amp also.

If you like the Marshall tone, a used JCM2000 DSL401 would suit most things you would need.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I agree with Robb on this one. A Vypyr 60 would be worth the upgrade but the 30 just isn't enough of an improvement over a Spider to be worth the cash it would cost to switch over.

Quote by cyruselite
Well, not to at all offend anyone on this forum, but I don't really like the sound of Peavey. It's a thing about chemistry, there is nothing wrong with the sound.

I just really always favored a Marshall, well not always, until I got a little more experienced.

Being a student and all, what would be the best suggestion for saving up and buying then? It seems as if, the amount of money I have available for now, doesn't quite cut it. How much would I need for an improvement, which I would be able to hear with no doubt?

I know it's a lot of terrible and annoying questions, but I felt this is the place to discuss and ask, as going to the store, there will be a marketing value from the advisers.

No one here is going to be offended or annoyed. These kinds of questions are why this place is here.

If you favour the Marshall sound then for the love of god, do not buy a cheap Marshall. Seriously they're garbage. The Class 5 is the only "small" Marshall amp I would consider but that is just too damned loud to play at home. I would instead look at other British voiced amps.

$100 won't get you anything but if you're only ever going to be a bedroom player I would forgo amps all together and look into modeling. Depending on how serious you are about playing and how much money you're willing to save you can get something good for anywhere between $500-$5000. Look at the PodHD, 11Rack, AxeFX, Kemper and so forth.