Alright well I have always been interested in learning guitar but have never had one and so never taken the time to do it.

My friend at work was telling me about Rocksmith which I have read good and bad things about and I know maybe not the best way to learn. But it does fit my schedule and I think if I just start playing then I will enjoy it enough to learn other ways as well. So its by gateway drug into the guitar world I guess.

I was looking at buying a Epiphone LP-100 to start with. I live in Utah so maybe I should look for a used guitar or something but I think that looks like a solid guitar and I like the way it looks as well. I need to go into the store and hold one for a bit still.

I imagine I will mostly play classic rock and what not im not very picky I wouldnt be interested in playing any metal.

My biggest concern is that im left handed and I think I want to learn to play right handed and I dont know how well that will work out.

What do yall think about my guitar selection? Should I look around and/or for others as well? Any other suggestions?
Rocksmith can be great, but I'd combine it with lessons also. You can learn a lot from the game, but it helps to have a person explain things to you and tell you what you're doing wrong in some cases.

As for learning on a right handed guitar, I've heard that lefties can learn to play rightie guitars just fine. But then again, I'm a right hander, so I don't know from experience.

And if you can scrape up the extra money to get an Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro or Standard Pro, you'd probably be happier in the long run.
Rocksmith will teach you how to play songs. It won't teach you sh*t about guitar. Take some lessons or buy some books and video tutorials and leave Rocksmith to the posers & children,
Moving on.....
Quote by Mombo

My biggest concern is that im left handed and I think I want to learn to play right handed and I dont know how well that will work out.

I'm not left-handed, so take what I'm going to say with a pinch of salt.

It's really one of those things that depends- plenty of left-handers have learnt right-handed and been fine, and plenty have decided to learn left-handed. it really depends on what you're like personally. If you're genuinely ambidextrous, then learning right-handed is probably the best idea since you have so many more guitars available to try in shops and to buy (and they tend to be cheaper). But if you think learning right-handed would be annoying and hold you back, learn left-handed, more choice and slightly cheaper guitars will be scant consolation if you feel you're being held back by using the "wrong" hands for fretting and picking.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
For your guitar, I'd say either save a litte bit more and get into a little higher class of Epiphone (as has been said, you'll be happier in the long run) or check out something like: http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3010secsb.html . And Rocksmith is a fun way to play your guitar, but it's not a way to teach you guitar. Check out JustinGuitar.com, and youtube has just about anything you could need. Good luck. Patience would be my only advice, it can be a bitch first starting out... but damn it's worth it!
Well I love the look of that guitar you linked to. I don't know if I really want to spend the money on getting the standard yet. I want to try and learn on a right handed guitar but after a few months if it seems like it's holding me back I might want to switch to a left handed guitar.

Now going from 250 to that 300 dollar one would be fine to me though if that is a solid upgrade. I wonder if any of my local shops would carry that guitar.... Any other guitars under 300 you recommend? Or any +1's on that one just recommended?

I am def planning on utilizing YouTube to learn things as well as use Rocksmith. I do think learning some songs will motivate me to keep going at it in the beginning.
I'd suggest to start with a great professor. I've been playing for 18 years now only to learn now that my left hand has some weird tendencies that keeps me from going as fast as I could be going. That teacher made me aware of it. So yeah, having someone else that is really talented to rely on for learning is something you need when you start.

By the way, have fun, this is such a great thing to play guitar.
LTD Viper 1000 Deluxe
Simon & Patrick CW GT Vintageburst
Egnater Vengeance
ISP Technologies Theta (for sale)
ISP Technologies Vector (for sale)
Randall RG75DG2
Maxon OD808
Boss Super Shifter PS-5
Boss Chromatic Tuner TU-3
About rocksmith - you will find that there are lots of guys who'll try to convince you not to use it, and the criticisms are are valid enough. Rocksmith will not hold your hand and lead you through all of the steps needed to become a competent guitarist. Having said that - it's a learning tool. Rocksmith will teach you a lot of things, so don't be afraid to use it. Just keep in mind that you'll outgrow it pretty quickly.

About guitars - if you buy a cheap guitar you'll regret it eventually, but you won't be able to appreciate a higher quality guitar until you've played a little bit. You will run into people who insist that you're wasting your time if you spend anything less than 350 dollars (for a used guitar).

I hope you'll keep in mind that it's supposed to be fun to learn to play guitar. If you're having fun then you'll practice more and learn faster. Try not to get too involved in the advice you get. It's good advice, but in the end it may not matter to you.
Quote by Mombo
Well I love the look of that guitar you linked to. I don't know if I really want to spend the money on getting the standard yet. I want to try and learn on a right handed guitar but after a few months if it seems like it's holding me back I might want to switch to a left handed guitar.

Now going from 250 to that 300 dollar one would be fine to me though if that is a solid upgrade. I wonder if any of my local shops would carry that guitar.... Any other guitars under 300 you recommend? Or any +1's on that one just recommended?

I am def planning on utilizing YouTube to learn things as well as use Rocksmith. I do think learning some songs will motivate me to keep going at it in the beginning.

Do what feels right (no pun intended). My Sister is left handed but she plays right handed because that's what felt natural to her. Some lefties just prefer to play right handed, I don't think they force themselves to.
One of my former students is lefty, and I told him to play righty. When you start off, you're so akward I don't think it matters which hand you play with. Needless to say my student is a monster bass player now. You'd never guess he was a lefty the way he plays.

Righty instruments are all around, and when you're playing lefty you won't get a lot of chances to try new instruments out.
They have a few Agile AL-2000 B stocks for <$200 and they are nice guitars for the money. It will just have a cosmetic flaw. The rootbeer one for $159 it has finish cracks on the headstock.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Welcome to the journey! Im a beginner too and there are tons of tools online to help you learn guitar. justinguitar.com is one that Ive been visiting pretty regular and his lessons seem pretty easy and solid. As for the Epiphone LP 100, Ive got one and I love it. Its well made, sounds great and looks beautiful. I bought it used and have yet to regret it. Honestly, you need to handle some of the ones you are thinking about buying to get a feel for how they play and sound (which is the most important thing IMO) than which model to buy.

Also, Im left handed too and I was pretty much told here and elsewhere to learn to play it right handed so I did. Now, playing it 'correctly' feels perfectly natural. Additionally, if you are new to all this, then you have no bad habits to unlearn :-). Left handed instruments can also be hard to find and usually more expensive. Good luck!
Rocksmith is great because it's fun. I recommend it on that factor alone. But one of the biggest downfalls is the difficulty scaling. I've been playing guitar long before I picked up Rocksmith and I thought it didn't make sense. I feel like you need to see the whole passage to learn it most efficiently. Rocksmith does the game thing where it wants to make you feel good. Another problem is that you don't really hear what you actually sound like which ties into wanting you to feel good. I wouldn't recommend it as an only means of learning. It's just supplemental fun. If you liked Guitar Hero and Rock Band, you'll enjoy Rocksmith.
Well I dont think I want to spend over 300 at this point. If I enjoy it after a few months I have no problem spending more on a great guitar I love guitars so I could never have to many The 250 for the LP-100 seemed like a great fit. But I am definitely open to more ideas. What does everyone think about the Agile 3010 compared to the LP-100? Are there others in the 300 category to look at? I will of course want to go hold all the ones recommended before I choose one. But more options to look at when I go to the shops is nice. I kind of like having a plan rather then going in blind.

edit: Guitarcenter has a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard for 299 and a Agile 3010 for 250 used even. I dont know if I prefer to save 50 bucks on the agile when I could have it new. But that does put a standard into my price range.
Last edited by Mombo at Jan 26, 2014,
Is it ok to always have the guitar hanging on the wall by the neck or should it be stored in a case? Possible to damage it?
Not a fan of those cheap Epiphone LPs. I highly recommend going with an LP Standard (used if you want) or Agile 3010.

I guess there's no way to know what you like the feel of before trying guitars. I highly recommend going to the shops and trying everything. A proper Les Paul is going to be heavy. Used guitars are a great idea if you don't buy an Agile. Agiles are about the same price new as used, so go ahead and buy new if you want an Agile.

Try a bunch of guitars. In particular, every guitar shop should have some of these. I recommend you try at least one of each of the following, focusing on how comfortable it is for you to play, and if the genre of music you want to play is heavier (humbuckers) or lighter (single coils.) You can play Classic Rock with either, although single coils will get a bit noisy if you dial in AC/DC tones.

Try these:

Fender Made in Mexico Standard Stratocaster- they run about $250 used.
Fender Made in Mexico Standard Telecaster- they run about $280 used
Epiphone Dot- price varies used
Ibanez Artcore 75- costs about $250 used
LTD EC-400- costs about $400 used, modified Les Paul design
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin guitars- try any you find, they're supposed to be good
G&L Asat or Legacy Tribute- if you can find one of these, try it out. Costs about $350.

That should be enough to get you started. I would have spent a lot less money on guitars if I knew what I liked the first time around, but that's just how starting out with guitars goes. The only solid advice I can give that applies to everyone is never buy a cheap guitar (under $200) unless you get an amazing deal. Starter guitars are usually junk.
Ok thanks for that list im going to go into the shop tomorrow and try a few more before I decide. I am aiming for a epiphone lp standard right now. If I cant find what I want then I will prob try the Agile 3010. Unless of course I dont like the feel of the Les Paul then hopefully one of the others in that group will be right for me.
Stay away from the bolt-on epi guitars unless you can not find anything else.

The Agiles are very nice and their prices are very low. Did you see the AL2000 deals they have on the Rondo site? The AL2000 is equal to a Epi LP standard, the AL3000+ series is like a high-end epiphone LP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Mombo
Is it ok to always have the guitar hanging on the wall by the neck or should it be stored in a case? Possible to damage it?

well if it falls it will, but aside from that it should be fine.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I ended up buying a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top today. The guy installed a Gibson 57 Humbucker in it as an upgrade. Not sure if this is actually an upgrade and what its going to add to it for me but it sounded good and looks great and was the price I wanted.
Last edited by Mombo at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by Mombo
Well I ended up buying a used Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top today. The guy installed a Gibson 57 Humbucker in it as an upgrade. Not sure if this is actually an upgrade and what its going to add to it for me but it sounded good and looks great and was the price I wanted.

Congrats! I think you will like it!
i'd say a gibson 57 is an upgrade, yeah. they're arguably gibson's nicest pickups (well they released a bunch of new ones I haven't tried yet recently, but out of their older models anyway).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Good choice on the guitar! Those are nice, I prefer them over low-end Gibsons. That pickup will definitely be an upgrade over the stock one. Now you just need a decent amp
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Nice guitar choice, by purchasing an instrument of quality, you've already avoided the first beginner mistake. If you ever decide to sell, you should be able to recoup most or all of your purchase price.
Is there any particular youtube videos or uploader that has multiple good videos to watch? Just need to start at the basics.... lol even a video to understand the amp I got more would be good. So much to learn. I got a Fender Mustang amp just so I could kinda practice on it. So many knobs though and presets that make it sound.... crazy.

Should I have the switch on my guitar up down or in the middle? All the knobs on the guitar is there a particular way I should have them for just beginning..... etc
Heh. Yeah. I should ask that too. I thought i knew the deal with the pickups but maybe a more complete explanation would do me some good? I switch pickups all the time and i can hear differences but i don't really know what i'm doing.
Quote by Mombo
Is there any particular youtube videos or uploader that has multiple good videos to watch? Just need to start at the basics.... lol even a video to understand the amp I got more would be good. So much to learn. I got a Fender Mustang amp just so I could kinda practice on it. So many knobs though and presets that make it sound.... crazy.

Should I have the switch on my guitar up down or in the middle? All the knobs on the guitar is there a particular way I should have them for just beginning..... etc

probably keep the knobs full up.

the pickup selector, it's up to you. generally you'd stay on the bridge pickup (marked "treble") for heavier stuff, rhythm power chords and the like. the neck (marked "rhythm" on the switch) is nice for smoother solos, warmer/jazzier cleans, laid-back blues and stuff like that. the inbetween setting is nice for cleans.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?