I have played guitar for years, but recently, especially since it's gotten colder, my fingers have been killing me. It could be that I recently became a gigging musician and haven't played this often since I was in high school. I've been using lotions and Advil/Tylenol/etc.

I guess I'm a little freaked out. I haven't enjoyed playing this much in years, but the discomfort is distracting and troubling. Any advice and wisdom is appreciated. Thank you!
Quote by jamesharmonmu
I have played guitar for years, but recently, especially since it's gotten colder, my fingers have been killing me. It could be that I recently became a gigging musician and haven't played this often since I was in high school. I've been using lotions and Advil/Tylenol/etc.

I guess I'm a little freaked out. I haven't enjoyed playing this much in years, but the discomfort is distracting and troubling. Any advice and wisdom is appreciated. Thank you!

This will probably be frowned upon, it's not "Advice" just what I done.

About 12 months ago I couldn't hardly play no way could I bend a string, arthritis and repetitive strain (I am guessing). Never went to a doctor about it, but I found this on you tube....

Just the Hot and Cold Buckets worked for me, no taking anything... what a can I say? This Dude is onto something...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_eqlIWs24
First of all, I'd absolutely go see a doctor.
There are a few things you can do (but go see the doc first).
1) Give yourself ample time to warm up with something which is not taxing to your fingers.
2) Take breaks for 5 mins at least every 30 mins that you practice.
3) Try to split your playing up over the day. I'll give it 45 mins to an hour in the morning after I've dropped the kids off a school before I have to go to work, and an hour or two in the evenings.

I'll also stretch for a couple minutes before I sit down to play. Also watch out that you're not tensing up while you're playing.

Good luck. I hope everything works out for you.
Make sure you aren't tensing up too much, often this will be the case. It could be anything from your fingers to your shoulder tensing, so check this first.

If you're sure your technique is good and you get discomfort after playing for short amounts of time, see a doctor.
Quote by se012101
First of all, I'd absolutely go see a doctor.

A "Good" Doctor and.... good luck with that.

A good warm up is a bucket of warm water for about a minute. 42°C while lightly stretching... works for me, if experience counts for anything.