Page 1 of 4
So we've been a band for about 6 months and we have a producer whom we've been recording with at his house. We're from Northwest Indiana and our producer sent some of our tracks to a label from Santa Barbera. They like us and would like to sign us, they offered us 10 grand to finish our debut album. I am thinking "beggars can't be choosers", we deffinently need new gear. The rest of my band thinks we shouldn't and in the long run this deal will screw us. But like I said, we have a 300 drumset and the best amp we have is a line 6 spider 4 120 watt. We're all 18 as well. I really need some guidance/tips. If your interested in hearing us, check out reverbnation.com/OhEnEe or YouTube.com/OhEnEe or Facebook.com/oheneeband. The point of this post is not to promote my band, I just GENUINLY need some opinions from y'all and don't wanna get screwed over. Thanks
If you're 18, you probably live with your parents in which case you aren't broke. Also if you're 18 and playing on that type of gear, you obviously haven't cut your teeth enough to actually convince a "label" that you really have any chance of making it, and so they probably are giving you a pretty raw deal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well if they're reputable/trustworthy. Read the contract, negotiate if you see anything you don't like. Beware if it's a production deal opposed to an actual record deal.
I have my own place I work as a welder in a sweat shop and I have a 6 month old child so yes sir I am indeed broke. Lol
Quote by OhEnEe
I have my own place I work as a welder in a sweat shop and I have a 6 month old child so yes sir I am indeed broke. Lol

And you're spending your time playing music and considering a "record deal" when you can barely afford to support your child? Man, you should seriously get your priorities in order.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Well considering I don't want to be a welder the rest of my life and music is my passion yes, I am considering a record deal.
What exactly is the rest of your band worried about? They might have valid complaints.
Quote by OhEnEe
Well considering I don't want to be a welder the rest of my life and music is my passion yes, I am considering a record deal.

You waived that right when you became a father.

Its not all about you anymore.
Quote by Monolith295
Tobysaurus is one sexy man.

Quote by Kensai
I think I love you Tobysaurus!

Quote by CFH82
God damn, you've given me a boner Toby!
Damn, I can't even imagine the pressure.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I understand its not about me hence the reason I work my job every day to support my family this post is not about that it is about if we're getting screwed on a deal. I'm at a standstill with my welding job it's enough to support my family but I have to get a certain amount of experience in there before I could move on to a better welding job. Obviously my family is my top priority if I'm still playing on a shitty ass line 6. Comment if it applys to the subject please.
Quote by MakinLattes
There are welding sweatshops in Indiana?

No, its a sweatshop like a candy store.

He fixes gumball machines.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
@hydra150 thank you lol great song and probably what I will have to do. I might get an attorney to look the deal over.
This definitely does not seem like a great deal and it is the right thing to do to not jump on this.

I know you're strapped for cash but you definitely need to have an entertainment lawyer look over the contract.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Without knowing what the contract actually says no one can really say if it's a decent deal.
That's true I'll plug in all the details soon when the document is presented to me thank you
It isn't a good sign that your first thought was to ask a bunch of internet strangers what to do.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Well I thought maybe some of the "seasoned musicians" on here might have some experience/stories similar to this and it's free to ask on the UG forms as opposed to paying a lawyer but that's what I'll end up having to do any ways.
Forums** before the grammar Nazis on here attack my intelligence levels.
Quote by OhEnEe
Well I thought maybe some of the "seasoned musicians" on here might have some experience/stories similar to this and it's free to ask on the UG forms as opposed to paying a lawyer but that's what I'll end up having to do any ways.

seasoned musicians dont hang out in the pit

but yeah look at the deal first
join date; Jan 2014

Are you trying to promote your band here?
ya I took a deal like that, it worked out fine and I make enough money to live off now from the record sales and merch.
I've been using ultimate guitar since I started playing 10 years ago, I finally made this account to ask questions like this. Not for promotion purposes. I know enough about these threads to know that promoting here would be pointless nobody gives a **** about each others bands lol.
We should really just have a promote your band thread instead of an entire dead subforum.
From my experiences, they're full of it, you're going to get screwed. To be completely honest I didn't think your stuff was "label worthy" listening to it. Not trying to be a dick, just how I felt upon listening to it. Sounds like a scam to me.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by OhEnEe

you had a child when you were 17 and a half? kids raising kids

also the record deal sounds too good to be true, just giving you a load of money for nothing

Quote by OhEnEe
I've been using ultimate guitar since I started playing 10 years ago, I finally made this account to ask questions like this. Not for promotion purposes. I know enough about these threads to know that promoting here would be pointless nobody gives a **** about each others bands lol.

and playing since you were 8 apparently, and using this site

if you'd really been using this site at all then you'd know that the pit isnt the place for serious musical advice or promoting your band, there's a forum for both of those
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Yeah, it's probably a scam of sorts.
There are bands who actually put way more effort into their music then what I saw on your Youtube and they don't have any kind of record deal.

How would you possibly pay back $10,000 if you don't even have any hype or buzz going on about your band?

Does your band already make money?
Do you already have demos?
Do people actively engage with your band?
Merch?
Website?
Presskits?

If you really can't answer these questions or have the items then wait on the deal.
Take it from someone who was in a similar situation with an old band.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab