Page 1 of 2

Okay so here's an idea I've had for a bit but haven't really had time for.
I've seen all these songwriting threads and stuff and was thinking we could do something along those lines for sound design.

I'm talking mostly about film sound sort of sound design, though obviously anything can also apply to music. But basically this isn't really about wubs, (extreme shock yeh?) but more about cool ass textures, foley based business and metadiegetic sound.

The original idea was that every week I'd post a set of samples and everyone would make some creative sound from it, then eery month we'd have a showcase thread of some of the best creations. But if you have other ideas, post them here. That's what this thread is for.
Maybe we could also do some tasks where we decide on a target sound that we want to create (like a helicopter or a gunshot for example), and everyone tries to make something that approximates that in their own way.

I don't think running a batch of set technical tutorials would really work, because everyone will probably be using different software, and for the most part, sound design is about creatively using whatever materials/software you have to hand. Of course there are some general useful techniques and I'll be around to guide you (and maybe some other people can help out hmu will). I can make a list of specific software that could be useful to you though, and some learning resources to help you with it.
It's just named after me cos I'm cool and I have a cool name

Anyway this thread is just for people to register their interest (though joining after we've started is absolutely fine - I just want some idea of how many people I'm dealing with), and also for any suggestions of how we should do this or whatever.

Some of you were talking about synthesis, and we can cover some straight up synthesis stuff too. Personally, I'm a big believer in audio processing and sample-based synthesis over most things (granular, spectral resynth etc), but other types of more regular synthesis can be pretty useful things to know too.

Regarding recording: I know not many of you are going to have great recording gear, which is why I'm suggesting the method of me posting samples and you fucking with them. But recording your own audio is a big part of sound design in the real world, so I'll be happy to help out there too.

Last edited by captainsnazz at Jan 25, 2014,
take this simple junk to ultimate-samples.com

real instruments ftw
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
What's a good site to learn the basics of this stuff from anyway? Without taking 10 hours. I'm kinda interested
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
how do i wub for free
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
how do i wub for free

Any synth with an LFO knob can be given a wobble effect.

An LFO cutoff vst can virtually make any sound wobble.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 25, 2014,
(what program do i torrent)

Quote by Trowzaa
(what program do i torrent)

You could probably get both free, but if you want a DAW that'll set you up with about everything you'd need FL studio is good, it's also the easier to learn on imo, I started with it and still use it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
What's a good site to learn the basics of this stuff from anyway? Without taking 10 hours. I'm kinda interested

The thing is that sound design is a really wide discipline. There are tons of ways you can go about making anything and lots of things to learn about. But at the same time, don't be afraid cos it's all about creativity

I have tons of helpful stuff and I'll put it all together at some point but right now I'm about to go and record some guy narrating a thing, so I'll do it when I make the proper thread.

Quote by Trowzaa
how do i wub for free

extreme surprise yo this isn't actually about wubs or even music (directly)
maybe hit up will's thread for that business (I can help if you want tho cos I'm well nice deep down)
I guess that's my fault for not writing that in the original post.

Quote by theogonia777
take this simple junk to ultimate-samples.com

real instruments ftw

il rek u m8

on the contrary though, a lot of this is going to be about manipulating real world recorded sounds which is the sound design equivalent of real instruments, and could even include real instruments
Quote by stratkat
You could probably get both free, but if you want a DAW that'll set you up with about everything you'd need FL studio is good, it's also the easier to learn on imo, I started with it and still use it.

I'll look it up tomorrow

Quote by captainsnazz
extreme surprise yo this isn't actually about wubs or even music (directly)
I guess that's my fault for not writing that in the original post.

yeah but i still want free wubs

Should I stick this thread? WIll you update this thread when you make the "real" one?
Yea I want to learn how to do this stuff so I can make my own sounds rather than relying on midi sounds and stuff. Like to design my own textures and timbres and shit.
I'd be pretty interested in doing stuff that Boards of Canada does, if you could help with that
I now have FruityLoops and I have no idea where to start Tutorial day tomorrow

Been doing sound design for ~2 years now, and just began work on a soundscape using all self sourced and recorded sounds. I live for this shit, it's a helluva lot of fun. Usually use Cubase, Logic or Pro Tools for the DAW.

Also
loads of vids on utoob about it, which are very interesting

EDIT: As for equipment, I really need to get myself a Zoom. As does anyone interested in this kind of thing, I would recommend.
Last edited by SkepsisMetal at Jan 25, 2014,
Decent idea, Snazz. I'm hapoy to help on some level if needed, but equally happy to let you handle this yourself
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
sounds like everyone would rather have a "captainsnazz teaches me how to make suck wubz" thread instead. count me among those
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by LostLegion
I tried to make choons in FL but they sound so fake and hollow.

What do.

There's a hard limiter on the master channel by default, get better sample libraries, for instance, there are no real instruments in this thing I made here:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/562481
If I tried harder I could probably make it more realistic. Messing with note velocity also, if it's untouched every drum hit and note will sound exactly the same each time.

I've tried livestreaming myself making songs, but there's only 1-3 people who show up, and there doesn't seem to be enough interest in it for it to be worth it.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 25, 2014,
Also length. Especially if it's a guitar doing a chord. Make the notes start and end realistically like you're strumming it rather than all starting and ending at the same time.

Quote by SkepsisMetal
Been doing sound design for ~2 years now, and just began work on a soundscape using all self sourced and recorded sounds. I live for this shit, it's a helluva lot of fun. Usually use Cubase, Logic or Pro Tools for the DAW.

Also
loads of vids on utoob about it, which are very interesting

EDIT: As for equipment, I really need to get myself a Zoom. As does anyone interested in this kind of thing, I would recommend.

yesss ben burtt is such a dude
I did wall-e for my last film clip analysis (the spacewalk bit) and actually those videos were top of the list for stuff that demonstrates how awesome sound design can be.
And I got one of my favourite techniques from that, the dragging a bag down a corridor to make wind technique (check out my storm yeh - http://d.pr/a/Fg3c)

Quote by TunerAddict
sounds like everyone would rather have a "captainsnazz teaches me how to make suck wubz" thread instead. count me among those

Maybe this will happen one day but right now I'm still kinda out of practice with wubs.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Decent idea, Snazz. I'm hapoy to help on some level if needed, but equally happy to let you handle this yourself

definitely get involved, it's only called snazzy's sound design academy cos it sounds awesome

Quote by macashmack
Hey guys I found this for some learning on making timbres and synths and stuff.

http://www.synthschool.com/free-plug-ins/index.html

nice 1 m8
if anyone finds any more free plugins, post them here and I'll make a big list in a few days
I'll drop this here right now though: http://www.michaelnorris.info/software/soundmagic-spectral.html
Try the dronemaker to start with. Instant awesome textures
(soundmagic are mac only though so soz windows ppl)

Quote by K'Nuckles
I don't get it, Mr Baker.

itz cus ur dumbe lel
Subtractive are far more used than any other, additive synths are supposed to be more powerful in the sense you can have more possible sounds. I only use subtractive, z3ta+, and sylenth1 are my favorites. My most powerful synth is massive, I went to school for electronic music and we learned to make everything from soundfx and drums to pretty much whatever.

I went to Berklee for electronic production and composition.

Really there are no shortcuts, when creating music by yourself I could go on forever.
I'm not a natural at anything, I've probably spent 1500 hours in fl studio. I should probably be better than I am honestly.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 26, 2014,
Quote by macashmack
Yea I want to learn how to do this stuff so I can make my own sounds rather than relying on midi sounds and stuff. Like to design my own textures and timbres and shit.

first order of business:

MIDI is not sound. MIDI is data and instruction sets. MIDI can instruct a synthesizer on the parameters that should be used to generate sound.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
first order of business:

MIDI is not sound. MIDI is data and instruction sets. MIDI can instruct a synthesizer on the parameters that should be used to generate sound.

So how do I make my own sounds?
Snazz this is perfect.

I've just been given an assignment to make a 5-10 minute piece that's not allowed to have a regular pulse and all that jazz. This will definitely help me try stuff out for that and also help me become the next Burial.

Also, I think I have brilliant proof that Burial is Kode 9 but don't worry about that
Hey Trowzaa why don't you join the songwriting game group? You started that today so it's perfect because it's the beginning of our week and you'd have until Friday to finish it.
Quote by sickman411
Hey Trowzaa why don't you join the songwriting game group? You started that today so it's perfect because it's the beginning of our week and you'd have until Friday to finish it.

because it's not an original i'll join next time though

Quote by Trowzaa
because it's not an original i'll join next time though

Ah right. I just thought I'd promote the group a bit
Quote by macashmack
So how do I make my own sounds?

There's 2 main approaches which both eventually converge into the same techniques/procedures.

1. Sampling source: you record physical samples or take samples from recordings.

2. Synthetic source: you craft a sound using a synthesizer.

Once the source has been established, you refine them through a variety of signal processors (reverb, filters, imaging, etc) and automation (gates, oscillators, etc). You can also do things such as recording at a higher bit rate like 192KHz and importing them to a lower bit rate session like 48KHz, which slows down the recording. You can also straight up manipulate and edit the audio regions to stack and isolate sounds.

The limit is your imagination here really.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Jan 27, 2014,
Page 1 of 2