i see this kind of lick all the time amongst blues players...
on the G string, it would be 11h12p11p9. What i've noticed is that almost universally, players i look up to will slide their ring finger from the initial 11 to 12 rather than use their pinky. is there a reason for this? for me it's far easier to use my pinky and i think it gives it a cooler sound. am i missing something? thanks.
there are basically three ways to play that.
Bend 1/2 step to the 12 then back down, then pull off. 11b12r11p9.
Slide to the 12. 11s(12)s(11)p9.
and as all hammer-ons and pull offs. 11h12p11p9.
There are alot of players that almost never use their pinky. It all depends on what style you play with and what you like to do. A lot of players will do slides (Marty Friedman being a good example of this) instead of hammers/pull-offs, to get a different sound.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Last edited by KerNeL_KLuTcH at Jan 25, 2014,
I'd probably play that with my first three fingers, fretting 11 with my second finger, but the other methods mentioned work fine too.

apparently UG's only type O-

Quote by Strike9

Thanks jb_designs.
Get both methods in your bag of tricks, and also the third method with the 1/2 step bend (which sounds really cool, btw) which Kernel Klutch mentioned. They all sound different, and you'll want a different version at different times for what fits best with what you're playing.
It's all about the sound you want to make, ideally. The most efficient way to play this lick is using your index, ring and pinky and if that is comfortable that's great (a lot of people just don't play with their pinky enough, especially ring and pinky legato).

So yeah, it's really up to you. If it's a fast metal passage I'd play it with index, ring and pinky legato. If it was a slow blues ballad I might play it with index, ring and slide to get a different sound.
Quote by Anon17
It's all about the sound you want to make, ideally. The most efficient way to play this lick is using your index, ring and pinky and if that is comfortable that's great (a lot of people just don't play with their pinky enough, especially ring and pinky legato).

So yeah, it's really up to you. If it's a fast metal passage I'd play it with index, ring and pinky legato. If it was a slow blues ballad I might play it with index, ring and slide to get a different sound.

i'm self taught for ~20 years and I do a lot of strange things because of it. One of those things is I use my pinky a LOT. I'm also pretty proficient at ring to pinky legato, oddly enough. I also didn't learn alternate picking for a long time and only upstroked, so i have a harder time with downstrokes, which I've learned is also very odd. Heh. I'm gonna get lessons asap to correct what remains of my self-taught technique flaws. thanks guys.