I'm planning on picking up a fuzz pedal and had settled on the Big Muff Pi (Black Russian one because I want something a little smoother). In looking through some of the threads it looks like several people are recommending the Drive 3 Fuzz pedal by Akai because it does both the old school Fuzz Face and Big Muff sound.

It is significantly cheaper (around $50) vs ($70-100 for the russian muff) which raises a red flag for me. Is there anyone who has tried both and can help me out?

Or, are there any other fuzz pedals that are highly recommended? I've heard Fulltone makes some good ones. I'm not looking to spend $200 on a boutique pedal.
I have an Earthquaker Hoof, and it is the best damn Muff fuzz I have ever used or heard. I really cannot state my love for it enough. It's a pedal that I turn on, strum a chord and it just makes me smile. Every single time. I've had it for a few months now, and every time I turn it on is like the first time I turned it on.

/weirdo

EDIT: It is expensive though, I guess Earthquaker is kind of a boutique-ish brand. They produce a lot of pedals, but not really mass produce.

How much are you looking to spend, exactly?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jan 26, 2014,
I have a FuzzHugger Algal Bloom which, of the many fuzz pedals I have owned, is by far my favourite. It's kind of Big Muff-y in sound but super versatile - it has starve and Bloom (texture/density) pots that let you get an enormous range of sounds out of it too. The main thing I like about it is its clarity - it cuts straight through a mix, and if ever a fuzz could be described as 'transparent' this is it. And for what it is, they're not that expensive.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by bstephan253
I'm planning on picking up a fuzz pedal and had settled on the Big Muff Pi (Black Russian one because I want something a little smoother). In looking through some of the threads it looks like several people are recommending the Drive 3 Fuzz pedal by Akai because it does both the old school Fuzz Face and Big Muff sound.

It is significantly cheaper (around $50) vs ($70-100 for the russian muff) which raises a red flag for me. Is there anyone who has tried both and can help me out?

Or, are there any other fuzz pedals that are highly recommended? I've heard Fulltone makes some good ones. I'm not looking to spend $200 on a boutique pedal.

I have the Akai DR3 and it started off as a much more expensive pedal that has been discontinued by GC so sold fairly cheaply to clear remaining inventory.

the big muff sound on it is pretty good but perhaps not exact (good enough for me though). as for the vintage fuzz sound it's not really a Fuzz Face sound so be aware of that.

I guess it really depends on what you want sound wise. the one thing to keep in mind is that the vintage fuzz side doesn't work exactly like a vintage fuzz. you can drive the piss out of your preamp with it using the volume knob. vintage fuzzes usually had to be dimed to get unity and you use your guitar volume to change the volume.
Some of these you might not get for $200 but its worth auditioning them or listening to them on YouTube as you might find the Fuzz you like, and then its all down to locating a cheaper clone.

Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Bigfoot Engineering King Fuzz
Analog.man Sunface or Peppermint Fuzz
Nano Big Muff Pi
Way Huge swollen pickle. Worth noting that the Jumbo Fuzz Dirty Donny edition is released in March
Mad Professor Fire Red fuzz
Strymon Fuzz Face Mini Silicone
FuzzFace Mini (choice of three, I like the Silicon)
ZVex Vector Fuzz Factory

Out of all the above I love the Voodoo Labs Superfuzz and it just gets under your skin!
Gear: Fender Custom 3 Pickup Telecaster, Fender American Std Telecaster ('10 3burst), Fender Kurt Cobain Jag, Gibson Les Paul Std ('97 Honeyburst), Orange Tiny Terror HW + PPC112, Marshall JCM-1H, Vox Night Train NT15H, Fender Champ 600.
Last edited by CarbonToe at Jan 27, 2014,
I'm now looking at the Earthquaker Hoof and the Fulltone Ultimate Octave (I did the QOTSA tone and we play a lot of similar stuff).

Anybody have experience with the Fulltone?