I really fancy building a micro tube amp, one of those 1/2 watt tiny little things. I have had a look for kits but the smallest I have seen is about two watts and that's too big. Has anyone seen kit versions of the really small 1/2 or 1/3 of a watt tube amps?

I saw a manufactured one for sale on a web site and it was £425 GBP! Can you believe that? Seriously what a price, that is not just the reason why I want a kit version, I have been hankering to build a tube amp and the very small micro tube head would be ideal for my purposes.

Any help, advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by richards-keith at Jan 26, 2014,
I'm thinking that you were looking into the ZVex Nano? I don't know about kits but there are schematics available for the Nano if you want to build it yourself...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
I'm thinking that you were looking into the ZVex Nano? I don't know about kits but there are schematics available for the Nano if you want to build it yourself...

Yes you are indeed correct Sir, that was the very model I had seen. I was a bit baffled by the sales pitch that it was hand painted! I am not really interested in paying more for an amp because someone has gone to work on it with a paint brush. I am sure that doesn't account for all of it's price point but all the same when such a small amp is so expensive I would have thought they may well have looked at ways of making it more affordable rather than more expensive. A plain metal finish would be totally fine with me. I would be interested in having a look at the schematics if you or any of the other readers know the whereabouts, I have had a good look around but so far it has eluded me. Many thanks if you can.
The following link has something like it.

http://www.jjs.at/electronic/class_a_subminiature.html

If you've never built anything electronic before with high voltage please DO NOT let this be your first build. The reason the Zvex nano is so small is that he uses a switching power supply. While the voltage may be on par with what you would see in a tube amp, the initial power up voltage can be much higher.

If you build it with a traditional linear supply it can be a bit more safe, but you would still need to be extremely careful.
you could try ordering a gilmore jr from guytronix:

http://www.guytronix.com/ampkits.html
http://www.guytronix.com/contactordering.html

Ive never heard this amp and have no experience with these guys. but googling around, Ive found people on quite a few forums recommending these as 1/2W amp kits. According to the website they are $380USD, but you you have to contact them for international shipping additional. looking at the kit list, those are some real fine parts. MM trannies, teflon wire(a must for anyone), 1% tol resistors, purty chassis, customer hand holding, and lots of instructions and tips. looks like a good beginner build.

looks like it has a 12a?7 output stage for the low wattage. seems interesting.

can anyone vouche for this? Also, do you have any experience with electronics. and by that I mean, do you knwo what a capacitor does, do you know how to solder(actually soldered components), and do you know how to read a schematic?

If not then I suggest you read up or watch some videos regarding these subjects until you know very well what to look out for. not knowing whats going on in the amp could cost you your life, low watt amps are really no less dangerous that hi watt. If you do know what your doing, then good luck.

If you know about electronics and would like more of a challenge low watt build, you could try building a firefly from ax84 archive. kits for this amp arent sold anymore.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Jan 27, 2014,
Hi, guys, thank you very much for the links, I will check them out. Just to put your minds at ease that I might electrocute myself I do have experience as a wireman, solderer and electrical assembler and I have worked with high voltages before. My background was initially in the manufacture of stage and club lighting/effects and then I moved over to making computer hubs. Without wishing to blow my own horn I wrote many of the instruction manuals and wiring schematics at my last firm so I know my way around reasonably well. Having said that this will be my first foray into amplifiers so I would like to keep it simple for my first build. I will definitely check out some of the instructional videos though because I am not going to make the mistake of being over confident, there is always something new to learn so it always pays to have someone else's input and advice, especially when venturing into a new field. There are a number of courses I believe that deal with this very subject so I am going to look into those as well. As with anything in life good preparation is everything and I do find this a fascinating subject so maybe a course would be very helpful and informative.
Quote by bustapr
you could try ordering a gilmore jr from guytronix:

http://www.guytronix.com/ampkits.html
http://www.guytronix.com/contactordering.html

Ive never heard this amp and have no experience with these guys. but googling around, Ive found people on quite a few forums recommending these as 1/2W amp kits. According to the website they are $380USD, but you you have to contact them for international shipping additional. looking at the kit list, those are some real fine parts. MM trannies, teflon wire(a must for anyone), 1% tol resistors, purty chassis, customer hand holding, and lots of instructions and tips. looks like a good beginner build.

looks like it has a 12a?7 output stage for the low wattage. seems interesting.

can anyone vouche for this? Also, do you have any experience with electronics. and by that I mean, do you knwo what a capacitor does, do you know how to solder(actually soldered components), and do you know how to read a schematic?

If not then I suggest you read up or watch some videos regarding these subjects until you know very well what to look out for. not knowing whats going on in the amp could cost you your life, low watt amps are really no less dangerous that hi watt. If you do know what your doing, then good luck.

If you know about electronics and would like more of a challenge low watt build, you could try building a firefly from ax84 archive. kits for this amp arent sold anymore.

Yes those guytonix guys really have thought of everything, really well thought out, nice presented clear information. This looks a real contender.
No matter what you choose, I would highly recommend something that uses a wall wart. I'm working on a mains powered tube pre-amp for my degree and there's definitely a real chance of electrocution if you don't know what you're doing. That's not to say you wouldn't know what you're doing but it is also more expensive.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^hmmm not sure if its legit or if its the same person trying to get attention. those usernames are too close...
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
^hmmm not sure if its legit or if its the same person trying to get attention. those usernames are too close...

I noticed the same thing and was wondering myself...