So here's the deal I love love love love love my Peavey 5150 but I can't fake the cleans enough like I thought I would... Lots of songs from the 80's have the typical bridge/pre chorus clean bits and no amount of delay and chorus can get me sounding like I want... And don't get me started trying to strum to songs like Wanted or I Remember You...

So even though I love the distortion tone on it I have to ditch it for a more versatile road amp until I have enough money burning me I can justify essentially a single channel amp... Which leads me to the DSL/JVM

The DSL is very popular playing the 80's thing and it's cheap but again it has a shared EQ so I don't know how well cleans are gonna work live... The JVM 210/05 would be all the diversity I'd need. Are the cleans and dirt and all that more impressive to justify the extra couple hundred? Selling my Peavey would get me a DSL with some cash or I could invest a couple hundred extra into the JVM which is more than doable... Just seeing if people think it's worth it
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
I wasn't crazy about the JVM, but I really like the DSL. The cleans were decent on both, but the JVM OD was meh. How about a 5150III?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by classicrocker01
I wasn't crazy about the JVM, but I really like the DSL. The cleans were decent on both, but the JVM OD was meh. How about a 5150III?

I've thought about that route... But one of those with a matching white cab are still pretty expensive
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
I have a dsl100 and it has a really nice clean.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Used and get a avatar, marshall, or mesa cab
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

If you love your 5150, why not take the extra you'd save up for a JVM, and get something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic and ABY them?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you love your 5150, why not take the extra you'd save up for a JVM, and get something like a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or a Peavey Classic and ABY them?

I thought about that as well but it's too cumbersome live... I'd need another set of pedals or a processor for that to get chorus and delay and the band would need to buy a bigger board to mic it since we're already at capacity without me having a vox mic
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Also look at the Krank 1980, nice cleans and a great Marshall dirty channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use a multi-effects pedal so I can use my 6505 distortion and then the processors preamps for cleans.

You aren't going to get your peavey sound out of a marshall if you like what you have.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I think the cleans on the DSL are fantastic. I really like the distortion on the DSL alot, but sometimes it comes across as too too thin and harsh when it isn't mic'd, which can be an issue sometimes at performances, since a lot of the time we aren't mic'd (sounds weird but trust me haha).

The DSL has tons of Mods you can do as well.

Wouldnt using an ABY take little room on your board? Throw it at the end of the chain, no need to double up on effects, unless you keep everyting in the loop.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
My buddy went from a 6505 to a JVM, be prepared to boost it with an OD pedal to get similar distortion tones
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by Katsock
I think the cleans on the DSL are fantastic. I really like the distortion on the DSL alot, but sometimes it comes across as too too thin and harsh when it isn't mic'd, which can be an issue sometimes at performances, since a lot of the time we aren't mic'd (sounds weird but trust me haha).

The DSL has tons of Mods you can do as well.

Wouldnt using an ABY take little room on your board? Throw it at the end of the chain, no need to double up on effects, unless you keep everyting in the loop.

Ya my delay and chorus are looped, only thing out front is wah, Maxon OD808 and tuner... And no room on the board to plug in 2 mics for me

Hopefully this store in town has both a DSL and some sort of JVM on hand to test...
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Quote by RCA1186
My buddy went from a 6505 to a JVM, be prepared to boost it with an OD pedal to get similar distortion tones

I'm only about 1 o'clock on the high gain channel on the Peavey... I doubt I'd need to go any further than OD green dime'd or amber on the JVM
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
The type of distortion you will be getting is different as well. I went from 6505+ to the DSL and noticed that immediately. i actually preferred the Marshall, so it was not an issue to switch. I also didn;t need that much razor sharp gain.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
The type of distortion you will be getting is different as well. I went from 6505+ to the DSL and noticed that immediately. i actually preferred the Marshall, so it was not an issue to switch. I also didn;t need that much razor sharp gain.

I'm playing hair metal... I'm not exactly needing to dime any frequency so it's not being used to utmost br00talz potential so a switch to a Marshall isn't going to be that big... I just know a few guys in "the scene" have used or still use DSLs (Satchel I know used em before graduating to the 5153, but I still think his tone with the DSL was better) and the other hair metal dudes in town use a DSL (alongside a bunch of playback so who knows how often he's playing live...) and the JVM is essentially a history lesson in Marshall so it has what I need plus 2 channels of gain head room (And that's just on the 210) so the versatility of the JVM is a plus and not shared EQ is a plus... And MIDI out and this and that... But is it $400ish more of a plus than a DSL... Salt Lake isn't the biggest music city so it's not like there are an abundance of used JVMs or DSLs on Criagslist or KSL to try...
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
a lot of people will recommend the DSL over the JVM. while the JVM has options, people tend to like the dsl more. I hear people dislike the JVM also because the "gears" sound too diode-y. This is their opinion I never really thought of it that way. I like the DSL a lot. Only two channels though, but there is a mod to make the clean/crunch like the 6505+, but it costs some money.

Like I said, I love the Marshall. I just picked up a JCA 100h that is really doing it for me. The cleans are like an overdrive channel with less gain, but I really work with it and love it. Also a shared eq, and no reverb. you have tons of options here
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
If you play hair metal and already have an OD for leads, I'd definitely suggest getting the same amplifier as what I have: Laney VH100R. Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. It has a really nice clean channel, which can be driven to some nice overdrive tones by it's own Channel A Drive. The Channel B has a little bit of crunch to it and when you put the Channel B drive on, it sounds heavenly. Goes to even death metal distortion with a tubescreamer/or the like -pedal. If you want to hear how it sounds, through a "decent" video camera, listen to following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFIXbiy0yTA
A rehearsal room video
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Is a Splawn Quickrod out of budget? I can find'em used for $1200-1400
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
Is a Splawn Quickrod out of budget? I can find'em used for $1200-1400

I totally forgot to check if there are any of those for sale... Whenever I think I want a Splawn I go the totally custom route and build it with a Marshall chasis and white tolex like Randy and all this then I look at the price... If the QR goes used about a JVM I wonder how they stack up. Another board I'm on has the biggest boner for them so I've always been interested but if it's hard to find a Marshall here then I'm assuming a used Splawn of any kind will be harder lol
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
The Splawn makes the JVM mess its pants and run home crying before it even gets to Gear 3.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by classicrocker01
The Splawn makes the JVM mess its pants and run home crying before it even gets to Gear 3.

**** it, the other guitar player in this band I'm jumping on board with has a DSL I'm going to get a used Quick Rod with the Peavey money!
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Yea there are several used splawns here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear and they just got a white one with KT88's in $1349.99 (I'm sure you could get it for $1200

There is also a pro-mod for $1040 if you can get away with a single channel
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 26, 2014,
^Im heading up there tomorrow, checking that out!
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Tremolo Bum
I use a multi-effects pedal so I can use my 6505 distortion and then the processors preamps for cleans.

You aren't going to get your peavey sound out of a marshall if you like what you have.

This is what I did when I had a 6505 as well.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X