Hello. I need a tube amp for metal and some cleans to use in my bedroom to pratice and to jam with my friends.

Budget: 500-600€

Current Gear: Jackson mid range guitar, fender mustang 1

Genres: Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal, Symphonic Metal, Melodic Death Metal

Home or Gig: Both

Used or New: Used

Near cities: Vienna, Verona, Trento, Innsbruck
Jet City 50 watt.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
^+1
also look at 6505+ combo
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yeah jet city 50 watt 1x12 combo on thomann. it's about half your budget yet (assuming it's similar to the heads, which from what I hear it is) will compete with things at (and above) your budget. it's just a really good deal.

Speaker upgrade to an eminence v12 down the line wouldn't hurt. it's about £50 (what's that, 70 euros?)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would get the jey city 2x12 more likely. Would a speaker upgrade make a big difference?
An immense difference. Good speakers make all the difference.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Those are a very solid choice, and a long time favorite of metal players.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Quote by Jayerrr
I would get the jey city 2x12 more likely. Would a speaker upgrade make a big difference?

just to clarify, if you're talking about the combo, the 50 watt 2x12 combo isn't the same circuit as the 50 watt 1x12 combo- it's much lower gain and isn't really aimed at metal.

if you want the metal 2x12 you'd need to go with the 50 watt head and e.g. the harley benton g212vintage cabinet (which already has v30s loaded and is crazy cheap, you're almost getting the cabinet free).

and yeah v30s will work well, too. I liked v12s the best but v30s (especially when broken in) come a close second with the jet city for heavier tones (out of what I've tried). they're close enough that i'd go with the cheaper option- if you were getting th 1x12 combo the v12 will be cheaper. if you're going head and cabinet, the v30 will be cheaper in the harley benton cabinet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 26, 2014,
Quote by Jayerrr
Thanks for answering! What about 2x12 combos for metal?

They're fine. I personally prefer a head and cab for metal because a closed back cab will have a little tighter bass response for metal. However, I've used both with perfectly satisfactory results.
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

I'm not aware of any offhand at your budget really. Maybe bugera, but their reliability (from what I hear) is iffy.

the other thing is 2x12 combos are big and heavy and awkward. a head + 2x12 cabinet is probably easier to carry (if you can make two trips). you also have more (i'd say better) options at your budget since jet city would be an option.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah true true. So jet city would be an option, I`d like to hear it. Other options apart the jet city and the 6505?
Just to compare
Quote by classicrocker01
Jet City 50 watt.

The model 5012 specifically. 5212 is different amp, not based on the high gain Soldano Hot Rod. Anyhow, the 5012 with a tubescreamer type pedal upfront is hard to beat in price/performance ratio for classic metal and oldschool extreme metal sounds. No dedicated clean channel but the crunch channel does clean up. Speaker upgrade recommended though.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/jet_city_amplification_jca5012_combo.htm

6505 is classic. Works for any metal genre except maybe the doomy stuff which calls for more fat loose tone. A lot of albums have been recorded with 5150/6505's. Clean tones however have rather mediocre reputation but atleast it does have clean. I would say this is the safe choice, cant go wrong with it.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/peavey_6505_plus_112_combo.htm

Randall recently revamped their Diavlo series with Mike Fortins designs and so far the clips have been amazing. Jury is still out there but so far impressions have been very positive. I would pick this if you feel adventurous and want something different than yet-another-Peavey.
http://www.thomann.de/fi/randall_rd40c.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 26, 2014,
Peavey Ultra combo
Peavey XXX combo
Laney VC50
Laney VC100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
yes 2x12 combos are on the heavy side. jeez eat your Wheaties. on the other hand they are self contained and work fine. many heads have some weight to them and then the cab to can mean two trips when setting up. a dolly works wonders.

anyways a good affordable 2x12 is the aforementioned Peavey Ultra. these can be found (2x12) for around $400. bought mine last year and love it. for not a ton more you can find a JSX 2x12 or even a 6505. not familiar with the laneys but they have a good rep.
For the 212 Combo option try a used Peavey 5150 or 6505. The Plus models in the combos are single 12's and the non-plus are dual 12's. I picked up my 5150 212 Combo for $400 USD and it is closed back for the speakers. It's quite large for a combo because of it. . . These amps are so widely used and recommended I suggest trying one out if possible before you decide. The classics are classic for a reason
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by monwobobbo
yes 2x12 combos are on the heavy side. jeez eat your Wheaties. on the other hand they are self contained and work fine. many heads have some weight to them and then the cab to can mean two trips when setting up. a dolly works wonders.

anyways a good affordable 2x12 is the aforementioned Peavey Ultra. these can be found (2x12) for around $400. bought mine last year and love it. for not a ton more you can find a JSX 2x12 or even a 6505. not familiar with the laneys but they have a good rep.

Ultras are hard to come by here in europe. Atleast I've seen only one 112 combo and never a single head.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Harley Benton g212 vintage cab
Jet city jca50h amp
Digitech bad monkey overdrive pedal

Excellent budget set though again, no dedicated clean channel. Have to rely on crunch channel turned down. About other heads it depends on what there are in your used market. Peavey 6505 and XXX are the usual suspects to look for. Cab recommendation is still the HB Vintage because of the V30 speakers.

The heads are not small but sitting on top of 2x12 cab the size matches it perfectly.

Your budget is a problem though. Here in europe usually a good high gain head (except for the Jet City. And Bugera if you feel like gambling) costs that 500€-600€ used. Doesnt leave much for a cab. Going solid state is your another option.

Most solid states are crap but there are gems. For example I know for a fact (considering I own one and love it to death) that Randall RG1503h is excellent amp. Clean channel is sterile and not very good but distortion channels sound massive, lots of balls. Head costs only about 360€ or something and also 2x12 combo is available though not in Thomann at the moment.

For other notable solid states that may be around used market and are known to be good are Ampeg VH140C and Crate GX130C. Both are discontinued but they are still around.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 27, 2014,
Quote by MaaZeus
Ultras are hard to come by here in europe. Atleast I've seen only one 112 combo and never a single head.

ok i'll keep that in mind when advising folks overseas. guess knowing what is more easily available would help.
^ I'm not sure it makes sense to go low wattage when you want metal tones, especially when there are a couple of higher wattage good amps within your budget (the jet city and peavey). and the jet city is already as cheap as most lower wattage heads anyway.

There's always the jet city 2-channel 20 watt head (the jca22h) but it's only £50 less I think. I've actually heard some people say it sounds better than the 50 watt (because the loop is in a different place in the circuit) but personally i'd probably rather have the extra headroom... YMMV on that, though, it just depends on what you need/want.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i found the evh 5150III 50w for 500€ used and + the vintage cab 2x12 (180&euro is a great deal i think... should I go with it?
i haven't tried it but it has a good rep i think. i think i've heard some rumours that it might have some solid state stuff in the signal path of the high gain channel (was it matt who said that? i forget) but
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jayerrr
i found the evh 5150III 50w for 500€ used and + the vintage cab 2x12 (180&euro is a great deal i think... should I go with it?

That is a damn good deal. The amp alone is almost 1000€ new. Go for it if you can.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried it but it has a good rep i think. i think i've heard some rumours that it might have some solid state stuff in the signal path of the high gain channel (was it matt who said that? i forget) but

Considering it has 7 preamp tubes I really doubt this would be true. Atleast not in signal path producing distortion which is the thing that actually matters.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
Considering it has 7 preamp tubes I really doubt this would be true. Atleast not in signal path producing distortion which is the thing that actually matters.

yeah i know that but I'm sure I saw matt say that it did (and he made the point you did that it was pointless when it easily had enough gain stages not to need any SS shenanigans)

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Jayerrr

Winner winner chicken dinner!!
Quote by Jayerrr
I got it guys so awesome!! thanks to everyone

Check out an Xotic EP booster!!
Quote by Jayerrr
I got it guys so awesome!! thanks to everyone

Now that you have your (I presume) your first tube amp a few words of caution. Let it patiently warm up a minute before flicking the standby switch on play position. Less stress on tubes than just flicking it all on. Also never EVER turn it on without a load attached. Turning a tube head on without cab will blow the output transformer, if there is no artificial load inside the amp that is. Make a habit of connecting a speaker cables first before power cable, just in case.

Congrats on new amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
I was lucky enough to be hooked up with a peavey ultra combo and its pretty good for metal. I had to change the speakers tho but with your budget i wouldn't consider it to be a problem.