Page 1 of 5
So Pit,

I'm sure all of us have dreams to travel, and some of us have probably saved enough to go on some pretty awesome holidays.

Let's use this thread as a place to share our travel experiences, share tips and tricks about traveling to various locations and talk about our own upcoming travel plans. It doesn't have to be international travel, road-trips and camping etc. is perfectly fine.

So I'll start. I've already traveled to Singapore, and done a cruise around Vanuatu. This year I'll be heading to Papua New Guinea for a few days, and then a few months after that I'll be taking a trip for a month around Europe with Topdeck.

So first question I've got for you guys, how the hell do you survive a 30 hour plane flight? (Melbourne to Jakarta, then Jakarta to London (Gatwick))
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I want to travel Europe with just a backpack and some chronic.

/americana
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I've spend year and half in New Zealand with the Work&Holiday Visa. I kinda regret that I didn't went to any of the Pacific Islands but if every turns according to my plans, I'll go to Australia in a couple of years and travel around.
If you go to Cancun, don't just party at the beach. Hit up the ancient Mayan ruins. Climb Chichen Itza.

If you go to Hawaii try to island hop. The big island has some of the most amazing things I have ever seen.

Those are my most memorable travels
30 hr flight advice (but this is also general flight advice)

- Drink lots of water. This will prevent dehydration (since cabin air is super dry) and will also force you to go to the bathroom a lot so you can stretch your legs and not get DVT
- Bring something to do that you've been putting off for a while. If you're bored enough you'll do it eventually.
- If you forget to bring stuff to do, it doesn't matter because if you're on a flight that long I'm sure they have inflight entertainment
- Eat whatever they give you because being hungry on a plane sucks and will give you a headache, and having a headache on a plane sucks even more.
- Go to the bathroom 45 mins before landing. Why so early? People will go 20 mins before landing and you'll have to stand in line. I always bring eye drops and moisturizer to fight the dryness
- if you haven't booked your seat yet pick one in the middle of the row because if the flight isn't full people might not sit next to you and then you have the whole row to yourself.
- be nice to the people serving you because if you're bored and they aren't busy they might stop and chat for a while

nb: I usually just sleep the whole time because I can sleep whenever I want and I wake up for the meals then go back to sleep. I rarely watch movies on planes because I can never stay awake long enough for the ending (or even the middle). I just leave it on the flight path thing or I play inflight trivia for a while. I try and listen to music but that makes me fall asleep too. if you want to be like me, don't sleep for 24hrs before your flight. (though if you have to get a connecting flight you may not want to do this) (also if you are transiting somewhere make sure there's at least 2 hrs between your flights so if something goes wrong you won't miss it, and if you're there early you can chill or sleep for a bit)

edit: oh yeah so I've traveled a lot. I like to travel and see new places and try new food and have fun. most recently, I went to perth in december and it was fantastic. But then I can't say I've ever had a bad holiday. I guess the worst was in Melaka with some family friends, but it was because everyone kept fighting all the time, it wasn't the place itself. I always go there on long weekends if I'm free. There are many places I'd like to go to so I don't have any one place in particular that I want to see next. we'll just see how it all happens and I'll go wherever I can.

edit edit: found this - maybe we can all make one for ourselves so we can see where everyone's been! http://www.travbuddy.com/world-travel-map

heres mine http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6688280
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jan 27, 2014,
i thought the title said time travel thread and i had a cutting edge joke about how if i were you id go back in time and register under a different name but thats irrelevant now

the farthest outside of philly ive been is somewhere in virginia
I'm moving to Melbourne in two weeks to finish my degree. I hope to travel a bit while I'm there. I heard there's a monkey sanctuary in Bali.
I found out like a month ago that you can travel to North Korea. So yeah, that's what I want to do
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I'm moving to Melbourne in two weeks to finish my degree. I hope to travel a bit while I'm there. I heard there's a monkey sanctuary in Bali.

You don't have to go to the sanctuary to see monkeys. I was leaning on a wall once and a monkey scratched my head D:
cat
Quote by guitarxo

edit edit: found this - maybe we can all make one for ourselves so we can see where everyone's been! http://www.travbuddy.com/world-travel-map

heres mine http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6688280

I just created my map......it's so tiny you can't even see some of the marks
http://www.travbuddy.com/widget_map_confirm.php?id=6688286
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX
I found out like a month ago that you can travel to North Korea. So yeah, that's what I want to do

I've been itching to go to North Korea for a few years now. Some people call me a jerk for "wanting to support a murderous regime" but that's an awfully shallow and childish statement to make.

Anyway I've only been to Bali (Indonesia technically, but I'm not fooling myself), Vietnam, New Zealand and Malaysia.
Been to Japan 8 times, will be going for the 9th time soon. I basically go once a year, sometimes twice. Hopefully go to South Korea or China sometime soon too. I would love to see more places.
I did a bit of travelling around in South East Asia with my parents when I was younger but then last year I went on my first solo trip where I travelled Europe. I absolutely loved it and I'm hoping to get back there and maybe live in Berlin might try to get across to the US and Canada funds permitting.

Here's my travelbuddy map I'm kinda sad about how empty it looks. Oh well just more motivation to keep on travelling and fill it in I suppose. http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6688398
Such is life of a Europleb.

http://www.travbuddy.com/maps/6688429

My tips:

Prague is superior to all other cities I have visited. I wish to visit it again several times.

Now the two points that I'll try to make are not the sole reasons for visiting Prague - it is a truly amazing capital and one that I will never forget. However, they need to be addressed as so many silly college travelers apparently only know of three countries in Europe. Let's begin:

Anyone who says Amsterdam is the weed capital is an ignorant fool who has not yet visited Prague. Anyone who claims that German beer is the best beer is a fool who has not yet visited Prague. Belgian beer is koo tho.

Jordan & Syria were amazing countries, though I doubt many of you will be willing to visit the latter any time soon. I thankfully managed to visit it before it all went tits up.

Oh, yes. Almost forgot. Anyone who has been to France and has formed the opinion that the French are snobby, arrogant and unwelcoming to tourists is probably from an English speaking country. In my experience they are extremely polite and pleasant people.

My biased opinions, unrelated to travel:

Spain is a lesser country.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 27, 2014,
I flew LA to Sydney, long flight. Lucky the plane was almost empty so I had 4 seats to myself to lie down the whole way.
Quote by guitarxo
(also if you are transiting somewhere make sure there's at least 2 hrs between your flights so if something goes wrong you won't miss it, and if you're there early you can chill or sleep for a bit)

That's only the case when there's at least one long-haul flight involved. When you're flying from Bristol to Torndheim via Amsterdam, you won't even need an hour if you know where to go.

Personally, I want to go to Germany this summer too, but I can't plan anything before I manage to land a placement or give up on that. I've not decided which city yet, but I've sort of ruled out Berlin. Hopefully I'll manage to combine it with taking the Goethe C1 exam. (Language courses are an excellent motivation for solo travel imo.)

As an albino, I'd rather steer clear of the exotic places but I'd love to see the China, Korea (both of them) and Japan. And I had to pass up a chance to go to the US because of exams (one of my cousins is getting married to his American fiance)...
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Jan 27, 2014,
Quote by guitarxo
You don't have to go to the sanctuary to see monkeys. I was leaning on a wall once and a monkey scratched my head D:

Too cool. You're just selling it.
http://www.travbuddy.com/widget_map_confirm.php?id=6688670

I did not include most of the current nations that were once a part of the USSR unless I actually went to that area. Same with Yugoslavia and the Czech Republic.

Costa Rica is one of the most fabulous places I have ever been to. Highly recommend it.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Telecaster7
I've been itching to go to North Korea for a few years now. Some people call me a jerk for "wanting to support a murderous regime" but that's an awfully shallow and childish statement to make.

A friend and I are seriously planning a trip. At first we looked into it half-jokingly but now I am genuinely convinced that it would benefit everyone involved.

I'm a Yank, and have mostly only been in the United States. I have briefly been to Mexico, Canada, Belize, Honduras, and Bahamas via rich people cruise ships (I don't even count the Bahamas because we didn't even leave the tourist area. The other places we ventured out a bit, something my parents regret lol).
Quote by slipknot5678
A friend and I are seriously planning a trip. At first we looked into it half-jokingly but now I am genuinely convinced that it would benefit everyone involved.

I'm a Yank, and have mostly only been in the United States. I have briefly been to Mexico, Canada, Belize, Honduras, and Bahamas via rich people cruise ships (I don't even count the Bahamas because we didn't even leave the tourist area. The other places we ventured out a bit, something my parents regret lol).

By all means go. And feel free to stay. You obviously hate your status in life and feel shame at your parents success. You would fit right in there.
Maybe you could get a job here:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/asia/north-korea-amnesty-prison-camps-report/

I'm sure they are always looking for somebody willing to beat people to death that only wanted to improve their lot in life. You can tell them how horrid it is with each swing of the cane.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Going to Seattle in March, then going to graceland at the end of April.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by slipknot5678

how do you go about going to North Korea?
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Jackal58
By all means go. And feel free to stay. You obviously hate your status in life and feel shame at your parents success. You would fit right in there.
Maybe you could get a job here:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/04/world/asia/north-korea-amnesty-prison-camps-report/

I'm sure they are always looking for somebody willing to beat people to death that only wanted to improve their lot in life. You can tell them how horrid it is with each swing of the cane.

The labor camps disgust me. However the trip would not only fulfill my own morbid curiosity, it is the only chance the people you do meet have to get a glimpse of the outside world. Tourism is also the only thing very gradually opening North Korea up to any extent.

And that's not what I meant with my silly 'I'm ashamed of being rich' comments. Obviously I don't want people to get beat with sticks (which as I'm sure you know is tame compared to what goes on in those camps).

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
how do you go about going to North Korea?

You have to go through a (usually Chinese based) tourist group. Once you've arranged that you are heavily watched, with a government monitor with you at all times except in the hotel. They used to only allow people in the 'fake' areas of Pyongyan, but they are getting much more lenient, and also allow more cameras and such in. People have left with interesting footage.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jan 27, 2014,
yikes, i lived in South Korea for a year teaching English in 2011. North Korea might be best Korea but it isn't foreigner friendly. I am not even sure they listen to Foreigner's music - like double vision or whatever.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by slipknot5678
The labor camps disgust me. However the trip would not only fulfill my own morbid curiosity, it is the only chance the people you do meet have to get a glimpse of the outside world. Tourism is also the only thing very gradually opening North Korea up to any extent.

And that's not what I meant with my silly 'I'm ashamed of being rich' comments. Obviously I don't want people to get beat with sticks (which as I'm sure you know is tame compared to what goes on in those camps).

You do realize that you are not allowed to talk to anybody while you are there right?
Only those people that are trained and permitted by the state to speak to foreigners.
You are assigned a guide/handler the second you land and if you say anything that displeases them you will be in one of those camps. Or as they like to call them when foreigners are held there "hospitals". North Korea is not opening at all.

I traveled behind the Iron Curtain rather extensively in the 80s. Poland, Russia, Romania, Czechoslovakia and others. The natives were terrified to be seen speaking to me. And they weren't anywhere near as repressive as N Korea. Good luck opening up the west to them. Enjoy your hospital stay.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Jackal58
You do realize that you are not allowed to talk to anybody while you are there right?
Only those people that are trained and permitted by the state to speak to foreigners.
You are assigned a guide/handler the second you land and if you say anything that displeases them you will be in one of those camps. Or as they like to call them when foreigners are held there "hospitals". North Korea is not opening at all.

I traveled behind the Iron Curtain rather extensively in the 80s. Poland, Russia, Romania, Czechoslovakia and others. The natives were terrified to be seen speaking to me. And they weren't anywhere near as repressive as N Korea. Good luck opening up the west to them. Enjoy your hospital stay.

I know you're not allowed to just talk to people. I have looked into this quite a bit, and obviously I'm aware of the guides (which is what I meant by government monitor). However, to my understanding, even the guides and the people who you do talk appreciate some sort of outsiders (depending on who you are assigned). It is also quite rare for a tourist to get sent to a camp; usually it is the tour guide who will be punished if you break any rules (with who knows what, which is the real reason to not say anything stupid). The main thing preventing me from doing this is the sickening prospect of being there for a week and living better than everyone in the country, as well as living in less fear than them.

I also didn't mean to imply that I would be opening up North Korea to the West by going; but I figure some contact with those individual people is better than none at all.
I'd bang the queen when she was hot
so like 2004
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Extra Ordinary
I feel you. I really do.

Even that map is generous because I've only been to a tiny section of Southern Ontario (where I live) and Northern Ontario and passed through Michigan to get to Northern Ontario. In other words, I've experienced like 10% of that 1% of the world
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Quote by slipknot5678
I know you're not allowed to just talk to people. I have looked into this quite a bit, and obviously I'm aware of the guides (which is what I meant by government monitor). However, to my understanding, even the guides and the people who you do talk appreciate some sort of outsiders (depending on who you are assigned). It is also quite rare for a tourist to get sent to a camp; usually it is the tour guide who will be punished if you break any rules (with who knows what, which is the real reason to not say anything stupid). The main thing preventing me from doing this is the sickening prospect of being there for a week and living better than everyone in the country, as well as living in less fear than them.

I also didn't mean to imply that I would be opening up North Korea to the West by going; but I figure some contact with those individual people is better than none at all.

Those people are all committed party members granted those positions as rewards for loyalty. At best they fear you but most will just loath you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by sfaune92
That's only the case when there's at least one long-haul flight involved. When you're flying from Bristol to Torndheim via Amsterdam, you won't even need an hour if you know where to go.

But your knowing where to go is only one factor. If your first flight leaves late or the second one arrives early, or both (which has happened to me multiple times) then you're in trouble regardless of how long either flight is.

My opinions have been heavily influenced by Tokyo transits. Sprinting from one end of Narita airport to the other at 4 am after an 8 hr flight along with everyone else from the first flight (and you're all queuing up for the bathroom at the same time) is a disgusting experience that has happened to me far too many times and I will take every precaution I can to avoid it.

Quote by Extra Ordinary
Too cool. You're just selling it.

Tbh monkeys are pretty common in most parts of SE Asia that aren't overly urbanized - where I live it's long-tailed macaques because they're super adaptable. They hang out at the bus stop just down the street and it's terrifying.

If you wanna see monkeys that are rarer though, like orangutans you'd definitely have to go to a sanctuary.
cat
Quote by Jackal58
http://www.travbuddy.com/widget_map_confirm.php?id=6688670

I did not include most of the current nations that were once a part of the USSR unless I actually went to that area. Same with Yugoslavia and the Czech Republic.

Costa Rica is one of the most fabulous places I have ever been to. Highly recommend it.

Holy shit, you've done a lot of traveling. Good on ya.

Also, you left Yugoslavia alone like the unpopular fat kid noone wants to be friends with.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by guitarxo
But your knowing where to go is only one factor. If your first flight leaves late or the second one arrives early, or both (which has happened to me multiple times) then you're in trouble regardless of how long either flight is.

My opinions have been heavily influenced by Tokyo transits. Sprinting from one end of Narita airport to the other at 4 am after an 8 hr flight along with everyone else from the first flight (and you're all queuing up for the bathroom at the same time) is a disgusting experience that has happened to me far too many times and I will take every precaution I can to avoid it.

You seem like a lot more seasoned traveller than I am. Most of my flights are a means of getting between home (Central Norway) and where I study (Southern England).

I hate airports so I'd rather rush between flights than spending hours at an airport. I'm planning to travel really early when I go home for easter (06:05 from Birstol, with a 50 min transit in Amsterdam), which I'm slightly worried about -- I really hope that the morning rush caused by intercontinental flights is over by then. (This wouldn't have been an issue if the UK weren't too "special" to be a part of the Schengen area.)
Quote by i_lovemetallica
So Pit,

I'm sure all of us have dreams to travel, and some of us have probably saved enough to go on some pretty awesome holidays.

Let's use this thread as a place to share our travel experiences, share tips and tricks about traveling to various locations and talk about our own upcoming travel plans. It doesn't have to be international travel, road-trips and camping etc. is perfectly fine.

So I'll start. I've already traveled to Singapore, and done a cruise around Vanuatu. This year I'll be heading to Papua New Guinea for a few days, and then a few months after that I'll be taking a trip for a month around Europe with Topdeck.

So first question I've got for you guys, how the hell do you survive a 30 hour plane flight? (Melbourne to Jakarta, then Jakarta to London (Gatwick))

What did you think about Singapore? I live in Singapore and it's actually very clear to us that there's nothing much you can see here. What you pay for is experiencing a super-modern city, but that's all there is. Most of the entertainment here are man-made. It's a really boring city to visit when you're thinking about traveling.

Pretty nice place to stay in though. Pretty expensive place to live in, but the transport here's pretty developed. It takes you 1.5 hours to go from one end to the other with the public transport.

I just came back from Lang Kawi a few days ago and my initial impression of Lang Kawi being all beaches and trees was crushed.
Quote by Jackal58

So you've been to so many terrible countries and then act so cynical when he wants to go to N korea.... right...

Anyway O.T.

I rarely went beyond my neighboring countries. (so All I've visited is Germany, Belgium, England and Luxemburg)
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by sfaune92
You seem like a lot more seasoned traveller than I am. Most of my flights are a means of getting between home (Central Norway) and where I study (Southern England).

I hate airports so I'd rather rush between flights than spending hours at an airport. I'm planning to travel really early when I go home for easter (06:05 from Birstol, with a 50 min transit in Amsterdam), which I'm slightly worried about -- I really hope that the morning rush caused by intercontinental flights is over by then. (This wouldn't have been an issue if the UK weren't too "special" to be a part of the Schengen area.)

Whatever works for you! Haha I just posted that for OP since he was asking about long-haul flights. What exactly do you hate about airports?

Quote by triface
What did you think about Singapore? I live in Singapore and it's actually very clear to us that there's nothing much you can see here. What you pay for is experiencing a super-modern city, but that's all there is. Most of the entertainment here are man-made. It's a really boring city to visit when you're thinking about traveling.

Pretty nice place to stay in though. Pretty expensive place to live in, but the transport here's pretty developed. It takes you 1.5 hours to go from one end to the other with the public transport.

I just came back from Lang Kawi a few days ago and my initial impression of Lang Kawi being all beaches and trees was crushed.

Awwww no I have to 100% disagree with you on Singapore D:
There aren't a lot of natural attractions here, but I believe the man-made ones are amazing enough to make up for not having spectacular scenery. Man-made doesn't have to = boring and I think that's true here. If you like culture, there's plenty of new stuff to see (if you aren't Asian), if you like partying it's pretty good here, if you like adventure/outdoorsy stuff there are a few places here and it's very easy to travel to the surrounding islands/countries for a day or two, and if you like shopping then obviously you are in the right place
So I think it's a pretty good tourist destination.

And I like living here but I feel like it could be better elsewhere, so...

I wanna go to Langkawi though
cat
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
So you've been to so many terrible countries and then act so cynical when he wants to go to N korea.... right...

Anyway O.T.

I rarely went beyond my neighboring countries. (so All I've visited is Germany, Belgium, England and Luxemburg)

Was my job when I was in the army. Was assigned as a courier at NATO headquarters for a year. Seen one shit hole ya pretty much seen them all.
Only Soviet block country I visited voluntarily was E. Germany. E. Berlin specifically.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by guitarxo
Whatever works for you! Haha I just posted that for OP since he was asking about long-haul flights. What exactly do you hate about airports?

They're crowded, and many of them don't even offer enough seating. In addition, some of them aren't very accessible for people with reduced vision; taking pictures of the departure screens or browsing non-mobile friendly websites is a pain in the ...ankle...

Also, being Norwegian at an airport in London is embarrassing; I overhear at least one group of people having loud conversations about random strangers each time.

---

OT: Is anyone here familiar with Germany? Which cities do you recommend (apart from Berlin)? (And do the locals in those cities have a "comprehensible" dialect?)
Page 1 of 5