Angel vivaldi-Martian Winter

At 2:35 mark he holds the top of his guitar neck to play, Can someone tell me why? and what it does?

As well, I cannot tap for the life of me, I mean I can do the standard 0 3 12 0 5 03 12 05 tapping, but that's basic, can anyone link me a good video of teaching a nice workout to get this technique down.
It appears he's using his palm as a capo for the 1st or 2nd fret, and using legato on multiple strings. Instead of the open notes in between all of the hammer on and pull offs, you get the capoed notes as part of the licks.

At least, that's what my eyes and ears tell me
It's a fairly common technique, but he just makes it look cooler/harder by reaching over with his strumming hand. Most people would just anchor multiple strings by barring a finger over them
Last edited by bdof at Jan 26, 2014,
Just look up legato lessons and you're golden.

put you hand on top to keep down noise.
I'd recommend you just learn the normal way and mute with your palm.
Then move onto putting your other hand on the neck.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
Ok, to clarify:

What's actually being played is all with his fretting hand. None of the notes being sounded have anything to do with his picking hand at all.

What his picking hand is doing is keeping the strings quiet; his fretting hand is too busy tapping away so he needs another way of muting and keeping everything clean.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Ok, to clarify:

What's actually being played is all with his fretting hand. None of the notes being sounded have anything to do with his picking hand at all.

What his picking hand is doing is keeping the strings quiet; his fretting hand is too busy tapping away so he needs another way of muting and keeping everything clean.

This. There's no hand capo or anything. He's just using his hand to keep the strings from ringing out. It also looks kind of cool, so there's that.