Hey everyone, first post.

I need some info on a guitar, it is an early 90's seagull s6cw flame. I need to know if it is made of solid wood or laminate and also what it might be worth. I have a guy offering to trade me this guitar for my 2008 fender hwy 1 hss strat and I just want to see if this would be a worth while trade, thanks for any info.
tons of information on this guitar is just a couple of clicks away.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
tons of information on this guitar is just a couple of clicks away.

Ok? Would you mind posting a link? I have looked all over this site, google, ebay, I can't really find anything on this exact guitar. I have found plenty of seagulls and even some s6cw models but not this particular one.

This guitar is maple with flame back and sides, it also has flame maple veneer on the headstock and no pick guard. I simply cannot find anything about this exact guitar.
The actual flamed maple on acoustic guitars are always laminate, iirc. I own a Seagull S6 25th anniversary flamed maple model and it was only about $600-700CAD when new. I very much doubt a 90's seagull guitar would be worth much more than maybe... $500ish? A Hwy 1 strat is around $900-1000 when new?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
The actual flamed maple on acoustic guitars are always laminate, iirc. I own a Seagull S6 25th anniversary flamed maple model and it was only about $600-700CAD when new. I very much doubt a 90's seagull guitar would be worth much more than maybe... $500ish? A Hwy 1 strat is around $900-1000 when new?

I believe the hwy 1's were about $750. Judging from ebay $5-600 is about fair for a hwy 1. I have mine listed for sale at $500 I am just wanting to make sure that the seagull would be around that. Actually someone posted one for sale today, it's exactly the same model and year range as the one I may be getting he has his listed for $850. The guy who has this guitar said he paid $1000 new with case in the early 90's, not sure if this is factual or not just what he said. On the plus side I went to my local music store today and played a seagull s6 original and I was very impressed, sounded and felt great! I'm gonna put hands on this guitar tomorrow and go from there. I'm not worried about loosing money on the trade as much as making sure the guitar is good, the main thing that concerned me was that I found a couple of places online where guys had purchased 90's model seagulls for around $2-300 but they were the cherry/cedar guitars and not the maple/spruce like the one I'm looking to trade for so I wasn't sure if there would be a value difference on the different models. I just don't want to swap for something that's half the value or less, since I can't find any of these guitars then I can't be sure which is why I ask here.

Thank you for the response on this, I will update how it goes when I see the guitar. Oh, one other thing I can mention, this guy who has this guitar seems to think he has a gold plated one because he started out telling me it was worth about $1500 and he still seems up in the air as to whether he is going to trade because he thinks he is loosing so much money trading for a strat, but again were gonna meet up tomorrow and see how it goes. If anyone else has any info please chime in!
Quote by captivate

thanks for chiming in Cappy ! long time no post huh?
Well, I met with the guy this morning and went ahead and pulled the trigger on this guitar, it's definitely worn in, the guy I got it from has been a pro touring and studio musician so it's been played but I think it ads character, when I played it I knew I had to go ahead the feel, sound, everything about it just clicked with me. For better or worse value wise this guitar is what I was looking for, so now it's mine!

nice find ! congrats on the new guitar !
i love maple. i have 2 solid maple guitars. the flaming on the back of my honeyburst one looks 3D. the larger body of it tones down the brightness of the maple. i assume yours does also.
enjoy it for years to come
Quote by stepchildusmc
nice find ! congrats on the new guitar !
i love maple. i have 2 solid maple guitars. the flaming on the back of my honeyburst one looks 3D. the larger body of it tones down the brightness of the maple. i assume yours does also.
enjoy it for years to come

Thank you, indeed the maple looks great much better in person, this guitar has a huge tone when you strum the whole guitar just resonates and booms, what I like tr most is that it is very responsive to pick attack, other guitars I've played haven't been that way but this one takes on whole different characters depending on how you pick it and it keeps perfect definition no matter what, I'm impressed with it and very happy.
Quote by stepchildusmc
thanks for chiming in Cappy ! long time no post huh?

haha, not much posting for a long time. But I'm definitely still lurking in the shadows, putting the banhammer to all those spammers and advert accounts.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.