So here's my situation. I have a Stratocaster American Special HSS. The neck and middle pickups are perfect, but the bridge (humbucker) sounds weak, quiet, and can't hold a note longer than 1 second.

I thought it might be an issue with the pickup itself, so I replaced it with another. Nope. It's still weak as ever. Then I started thinking maybe it's a problem with one of the pots. But if that were the case, then the other pickups would be affected too, right?

I've changed my neck and middle pickups before with no problems. It only seems to affect humbuckers. Do you think I should switch from a 250k volume pot to a 500k+?

By the way I tried asking for help on the official Fender forums, but they're not helpful at all. http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=91724
Have you tried adjusting your pickup height?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I'd try wiring the pickup directly to the jack, with nothing else in the way. If it sounds good like that, there is something in the wiring that is wrong. I'm not particularly familiar with the model you've got, but it doesn't appear to have anything special going on like S1 switching or anything, so it should be a simple fix with the right diagram.

If it sounds bad, and your fender forum post says you've tried adjusting the pickup height, then I'm not really sure what it'd be, especially as you'd changed the picku p already.

Actually - are you sure you have the humbucker wired in right? Is it a 2 or 4 conductor pickup? You might have accidentally wired up on a single coil.
Last edited by mark_wuk at Jan 27, 2014,
I think I may have solved the problem. The pickup I'm using is a Seymour Duncan JB trembucker. I didn't know I was supposed to solder together the red and white wires. I just figured that if I wasn't using them, then I shouldn't bother doing anything with em. But since I soldered them, I noticed my pickup was sounding a lot better.

Thanks for the replies guys.