Good evening
In about 2 months from now im going to do an upgrade the epiphone les paul was the one for me but in these couple days I went to a guitar shop and found a two guitars that I liked with a good price and the advantage was that I won't be paying for shiping

The guitars are

1- epiphone les paul standard (ordering from USA)

2- washburn pxl20b (local shop)

3- bc rich mockingbird mgsthb (local shop)

Playing style : classic rock and little bit reggae alice in chains arctic monkeys

Budget :1600 usd for guitar and amp and maybe a seconde guitar (which already been chosen nothing from the list above)
i would get the les paul if you want to be sure it's gonna be a great guitar. to me the bc rich guitars feel kind of sloppy... and i have never played a washburn so I can't tell you about that
Washburn is one of the most underrated makers, I think. Most of my experience with them is their folk instruments, though. I have a mandolin by them and used to have a banjo before I got my Deering. Their folk stuff is great.

A guy I grew up with who's a touring guitarist now still uses his Pilsen model from High School. I thought it was a pretty rad guitar, and I dig their Nuno stuff.

Most of their imports are made in the Samick guitar factory in Indonesia, so the quality is varied, but ultimately pretty good. Play it, if you like it, I'd go for it. Probably would be a better guitar than the Epiphone.
My experience with Washburn is limited to the fretless A/E bass I own (awesome!) and the guitars Dimebag played when he wasn't buying Deans (good, but not my thing).

Definitely worth considering!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Jayerrr
i would get the les paul if you want to be sure it's gonna be a great guitar. to me the bc rich guitars feel kind of sloppy... and i have never played a washburn so I can't tell you about that

thanks dude

after thinking the bc rich is not for me now so forget about it

it more about the les paul vs the washburn

i can try the washburn but i cant taste the les paul until i buy it so thats a problem
Quote by JustRooster
Washburn is one of the most underrated makers, I think. Most of my experience with them is their folk instruments, though. I have a mandolin by them and used to have a banjo before I got my Deering. Their folk stuff is great.

A guy I grew up with who's a touring guitarist now still uses his Pilsen model from High School. I thought it was a pretty rad guitar, and I dig their Nuno stuff.

Most of their imports are made in the Samick guitar factory in Indonesia, so the quality is varied, but ultimately pretty good. Play it, if you like it, I'd go for it. Probably would be a better guitar than the Epiphone.

i really liked it and i think it have a better electronics i dont know i think

i liked the matte black finish and until now i couldn't find a les paul with an ice tea finish online
Quote by dannyalcatraz
My experience with Washburn is limited to the fretless A/E bass I own (awesome!) and the guitars Dimebag played when he wasn't buying Deans (good, but not my thing).

Definitely worth considering!

yep after i left the shop i went to their website and found a decent guitars worth watching for the future

so now i want to know which one is better if they stand aginst each others ( i know its about personal taste) but just the basic stuff i dont know it seems to me that the Washburn is more of a metal guitar
Last edited by nirvana_n_roses at Jan 28, 2014,
JustRooster basically had it right: I'd expect the Washburns to edge out the Epi for metal. But a good Epi can be a damn good all-rounder.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
JustRooster basically had it right: I'd expect the Washburns to edge out the Epi for metal. But a good Epi can be a damn good all-rounder.

i played the wasburn yesterday and decided to go with it

and as far as the les paul im gonna make it my next purchase i dont know when maybe years from now hoping it well be a gibson that time
Expecting that NGD!

I know you have decided already that Washburn is a bad ass guitar. Both the Washburn and the Mockingbird are way better than an Epi.

The Mockingbird is actually a better guitar overall because of the neck thru,24 frets and coiltap/seriesparrallel/phase options. With the only down fall being duncan designed instead of real Seymours and the Floyd rose being a bad choice for playing in different tunings.

The Mockingbird STQ is better for switching tunings all the time. This may be my next guitar. I will just need to put some BKP Blackhawks in it.
What the hell!!!
Quote by danvwman
I know you have decided already that Washburn is a bad ass guitar. Both the Washburn and the Mockingbird are way better than an Epi.

The Mockingbird is actually a better guitar overall because of the neck thru,24 frets and coiltap/seriesparrallel/phase options. With the only down fall being duncan designed instead of real Seymours and the Floyd rose being a bad choice for playing in different tunings.

The Mockingbird STQ is better for switching tunings all the time. This may be my next guitar. I will just need to put some BKP Blackhawks in it.

yeah i like the Mockingbird but its not for me now

but sure im planning to own one with the years

the only 2 Mockingbird guitars available here are the SXMG TSB and the MGSTHB so who knows maybe they will bring new models when they time comes to buy one
Quote by Jayerrr

Which BC Rich guitars have you tried, and what does sloppy mean?
[..BLACKFIRE..]
I have never played a Washburn but the modal you mention looks nice and I see good reviews. It sells for about $750.00 (USD) in the US. I can definately recomend the Epiphone Les Paul's. I own two of them, a Standard and an Ultra with the Nanomag acoustic pickup in the neck. Both Epiphone's are excellent. I have a 1973 Gibson Les Paul that I can now leave home and use my Epiphone Les paul's on gigs. The black Standard I have has unbelievable sustain and a big full sound. Definately rivals my Gibson . Before putting out a few thousand for a Gibson Les Paul I suggest you try out an Epiphone. You could buy four or five Epiphone Les Paul's for the price of a Gibson modal and the differences in my opinion not that great. I can't speak for all Epiphone Les paul's but my two are really solid and nice.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 30, 2014,
Got a number of washburns here - a electric, an acoustic and just got a hollowbody elec.
All play great, sound great and hold up well.

The elec I got my son about 14 months ago as a christmas gift, his first elec. It's hel up well and compares to better guitars now that we both have experienced more instruments. My son has been looking off and on for another guitar but epi's just feel cheap in comparison, so do squiers. I'm thinking I'll be shelling out for a true fender...he wants a $800 mustang.

Picked up the washburn acoustic used $180) and I'm sure a true aficianado could tell it's not a $3000 taylor or martin, but we compared it to them at the store...and we can't tell the difference in sound, tone, playability.

I picked up hollowbody elec wasburn used last weekend and it's perfect. Needs proper strings for a hollowbody but it plays and sounds and works like a new guitar (it's 8 years old). I bought if off a guy that also bought it used. So they seem to hold up,

Enjoy your new axe! I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.
Quote by Rickholly74
I have never played a Washburn but the modal you mention looks nice and I see good reviews. It sells for about $750.00 (USD) in the US. I can definately recomend the Epiphone Les Paul's. I own two of them, a Standard and an Ultra with the Nanomag acoustic pickup in the neck. Both Epiphone's are excellent. I have a 1973 Gibson Les Paul that I can now leave home and use my Epiphone Les paul's on gigs. The black Standard I have has unbelievable sustain and a big full sound. Definately rivals my Gibson . Before putting out a few thousand for a Gibson Les Paul I suggest you try out an Epiphone. You could buy four or five Epiphone Les Paul's for the price of a Gibson modal and the differences in my opinion not that great. I can't speak for all Epiphone Les paul's but my two are really solid and nice.

if i bought a gibson its gonna be years and years from now i promise my self with a big reward when i reach a certain level of playing guitar

i know i decided to go with the wasburn but i find my self still looking at Epiphone Les pauls right now im browsing ebay

i dont know maybe go for both because why not
Quote by prof_fate
Got a number of washburns here - a electric, an acoustic and just got a hollowbody elec.
All play great, sound great and hold up well.

The elec I got my son about 14 months ago as a christmas gift, his first elec. It's hel up well and compares to better guitars now that we both have experienced more instruments. My son has been looking off and on for another guitar but epi's just feel cheap in comparison, so do squiers. I'm thinking I'll be shelling out for a true fender...he wants a $800 mustang.

Picked up the washburn acoustic used $180) and I'm sure a true aficianado could tell it's not a $3000 taylor or martin, but we compared it to them at the store...and we can't tell the difference in sound, tone, playability.

I picked up hollowbody elec wasburn used last weekend and it's perfect. Needs proper strings for a hollowbody but it plays and sounds and works like a new guitar (it's 8 years old). I bought if off a guy that also bought it used. So they seem to hold up,

Enjoy your new axe! I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

thanks man

before i never kept interest in wasburn brand but now im going to look for all the updates from them

cant wait to get it
My vote goes to Washburn as well. Never played that specific model but the ones I had in my hands I really liked actually. I almost bought a N4 a few times they sell for crazy money where I live. Anyways I would buy that Washburn you posted for the looks alone.
Some Epiphones can be surprisingly excellent, some are insultingly rubbish. So you'd have to try it for yourself.
By the way why would you wand to order an Epiphone from U.S.A. and pay for shipping and customs when you live on the same continent they are being manufactured?
Never been a fan of B.C. Riches so I might not be objective here.
Last edited by tsc86 at Jan 31, 2014,
Quote by tsc86
My vote goes to Washburn as well. Never played that specific model but the ones I had in my hands I really liked actually. I almost bought a N4 a few times they sell for crazy money where I live. Anyways I would buy that Washburn you posted for the looks alone.
Some Epiphones can be surprisingly excellent, some are insultingly rubbish. So you'd have to try it for yourself.
By the way why would you wand to order an Epiphone from U.S.A. and pay for shipping and customs when you live on the same continent they are being manufactured?
Never been a fan of B.C. Riches so I might not be objective here.

i know right thats one hell of a sexy guitar

there is no Epiphones being sold here so i cant try any

im ordering from the US because thats the only place i found in ebay china is the closest
place to my country when it comes to my shipping company
I'm gonna say the Washburn was the right choice. From my (albeit limited) experience Epiphones are kind of hit and miss so considering you would have to order online it would be a bit of a risk.
Quote by ShinyChocobo
I'm gonna say the Washburn was the right choice. From my (albeit limited) experience Epiphones are kind of hit and miss so considering you would have to order online it would be a bit of a risk.

yeah

im going to do some thinking and then decide if i want to take that risk or not
I will say this. If you do decide you're willing to go for it and get the LP, get the most expensive one you can afford. I think the customs are around 500-550 USD. The cheaper ones are (in my opinion) trash.
Quote by ShinyChocobo
I will say this. If you do decide you're willing to go for it and get the LP, get the most expensive one you can afford. I think the customs are around 500-550 USD. The cheaper ones are (in my opinion) trash.

thats the strategy