Hi guys.
I just recorded a track at a really amateur level and I wanted to ask for some advice.
I simply plugged my shitty Line6 amp to my laptop and recorded through Audacity.
My goal is to make the best out of the gear I have.
I'd like to know what could I do to make it sound better. Mixing, normalizing and those kind of things.

https://soundcloud.com/occipucio/ntm

Thanks!
Using things like EQ's and Compressors will generally make your songs sound a bit more professional although I'd ask friends or read articles on how to use them first, if you don't really know what you're doing you might just end up making it sound worse.

Also you should download Reaper. It's a free DAW (technically it's not free but it has a fully functional trial which never runs out) which is significantly better than Audacity.
that was a lot better than i expected. you could get a bigger sound by panning harder to the sides. also, there's a minor but noticeable timing issue, but it was good nonetheless.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It dosnt really matter what software you use. It's hit and miss depending
on the built in sound care in the PC. I guess that's why Reaper in is still on trial.

You can try to resolve the time issue by adjusting the buffing/sample rate, Frequency.
Every software have that table or menu at different places.
In Audacity it's in the edit table on the bottom.
In some software it's in the tools options.
In some software it has it's own menu, because the programmer knows.lol

It's a pain to look it up in the instructions.lol

If that dosnt resolve it. Down load Asio4all. it'll allow you to adjust the sample rates
more. The problem with Asio4all is (hit and miss) sometimes it'll disconnect the PC
sound card driver to other software...such as the media player.
So you gatta go back and connect everything again.
It also depend on the sound card in the PC. some have a quick reset factory setting.

When you run Asio4all you also have to connect everything manually. It should show
up in your tool tab on the lower right hand side of the screen.
It's not preset to connect to speaker out or eternal mic. You have to tell it to do that.
Then you have to tell the software to use Asio4All.

In some software Asio4all shows up as an option. Then you just select to adjust
as you need. It also turns off Aiso4all automatically when you don't run the software
so it dosnt mess with the other media player. Wish they're all like that....
Last edited by smc818 at Jan 27, 2014,
Thanks for the replies, guys!

Quote by The_Locker
Using things like EQ's and Compressors will generally make your songs sound a bit more professional although I'd ask friends or read articles on how to use them first, if you don't really know what you're doing you might just end up making it sound worse.

Also you should download Reaper. It's a free DAW (technically it's not free but it has a fully functional trial which never runs out) which is significantly better than Audacity.

I definitely need to learn about EQ and Compression. That's one thing I've been wanting to know about for the last year. Do you know any good tutorial?
I'm doing all of this on Ubuntu and I think Reaper is only available for Windows or Mac. I've tried Ardour too and I might use it again in the future if I feel up to it.

Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
that was a lot better than i expected. you could get a bigger sound by panning harder to the sides. also, there's a minor but noticeable timing issue, but it was good nonetheless.

I think the timing issue was due to the piano doing the bass parts. I just recorded it once and duplicated it several times xD I was aware about that, just too lazy to fix it...