Hi, I've ordered a Roadkill 2x12 cab (unloaded), and I'm looking for some V30s to put in it. I've seen a Harley Benton cab with V30s in so I was thinking of buying that and just taking the speakers from that to put in it, the cab is £155 so mit's about the same price as buying 2 V30s on their own anyway. Are there any other dirt cheap cabs like this? Don;t care about build quality at all as like say I'll just be gutting it anyway.
Cheers, Dave.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Hi, I've ordered a Roadkill 2x12 cab (unloaded), and I'm looking for some V30s to put in it. I've seen a Harley Benton cab with V30s in so I was thinking of buying that and just taking the speakers from that to put in it, the cab is £155 so mit's about the same price as buying 2 V30s on their own anyway. Are there any other dirt cheap cabs like this? Don;t care about build quality at all as like say I'll just be gutting it anyway.
Cheers, Dave.

Ordered a Custom Road Kill? Good choice! I fecking love mine!

The Harley Benton is a good shout, that;'s the only one I can think of that is cheap enough for two V30's.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The HB G212V is the cheapest with v30s, though if you just want the speakers you could find a couple of used ones.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Sorry, I just did one of those "dog hears high-pitched whistle" things reading the original post.

I looked at the Roadkill site and I'm having a hard time ascertaining what (other than custom colors) the reason would be for ordering one of those AND an HB just to get speakers?

This must be a You Kay thing. Here, you'd simply order an Avatar cab with their pre-broken-in and relabeled ("Hellatone 60") Vintage 30s, which are already cheaper than buying a pair of V30's from Amazon or US Speaker. Job done.

I usually don't care for new Vintage 30's; they mellow out when broken in, though, and then they're hard to beat. So I don't even mind buying gently treated used. The market in 4x12s here in LA is so crappy that I bought one cabinet with four V30s in "kid's bedroom, used to piss off his dad" nick (as in "pristine but dusty") for $200, pulled the speakers and sent the cabinet along for $125.
Quote by dspellman
Sorry, I just did one of those "dog hears high-pitched whistle" things reading the original post.

I looked at the Roadkill site and I'm having a hard time ascertaining what (other than custom colors) the reason would be for ordering one of those AND an HB just to get speakers?

This must be a You Kay thing. Here, you'd simply order an Avatar cab with their pre-broken-in and relabeled ("Hellatone 60") Vintage 30s, which are already cheaper than buying a pair of V30's from Amazon or US Speaker. Job done.

I usually don't care for new Vintage 30's; they mellow out when broken in, though, and then they're hard to beat. So I don't even mind buying gently treated used. The market in 4x12s here in LA is so crappy that I bought one cabinet with four V30s in "kid's bedroom, used to piss off his dad" nick (as in "pristine but dusty") for $200, pulled the speakers and sent the cabinet along for $125.

Cool story. What's it got to do with the TS's question?

Slandering him because he's from the "You Kay," where Avatar would be more expensive makes utterly no sense. The Harley Benton cabs are dirt cheap, and it makes more sense to order one of those, pull the speakers, put those in his custom cab and then sell the unloaded cab to recoup some money, than buying the speakers alone... The Road Kill cabs are clearly higher quality than the Harley Benton, and seemingly cheaper than anything of similar quality. If you don't understand the market, I don't understand why you'd take the opportunity to call attention to your ignorance.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
better plan- get the harley benton and then buy different speakers for the roadkill

the HB is actually remarkably decent for the money, it's ply and all. if you knew you wanted v30s i'd probably have just got the HB first, and then if you noticed anything wrong with its quality/tone etc. then consider a custom cab.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
better plan- get the harley benton and then buy different speakers for the roadkill

the HB is actually remarkably decent for the money, it's ply and all. if you knew you wanted v30s i'd probably have just got the HB first, and then if you noticed anything wrong with its quality/tone etc. then consider a custom cab.

Well the rhythm guitarist in my band has a HB, and I really don't like it, sounds just a bit blergh, tried another cab with V30s (same guitar, same head)
Plus I've heard good things about roadkill and I love the custom colours
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
i think an avatar is about 379 these days on special?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i think an avatar is about 379 these days on special?

that is not gonna help him as he is in the UK.

the HB is a cheap source of V30's, that cab pretty much is the cost of two new V30's.

i would have thought roadkill would have cut a pretty good deal on loading the cab with speakers.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 27, 2014,
Quote by MatrixClaw
Cool story. What's it got to do with the TS's question?

Slandering him because he's from the "You Kay," where Avatar would be more expensive makes utterly no sense. The Harley Benton cabs are dirt cheap, and it makes more sense to order one of those, pull the speakers, put those in his custom cab and then sell the unloaded cab to recoup some money, than buying the speakers alone... The Road Kill cabs are clearly higher quality than the Harley Benton, and seemingly cheaper than anything of similar quality. If you don't understand the market, I don't understand why you'd take the opportunity to call attention to your ignorance.

Well bless your heart, you sweet thing.

I'm mostly just noting that here it would be easy to get a quality cabinet with a pair of broken in V30's. There, it seems, you have to order a cabinet and then another cabinet with speakers to get the speakers for the cabinet you just ordered so that you can sell off the cabinet that came with the speakers but without the speakers. Might want to look up the definition of "slander" because (in the immortal words of Inigo Montoya):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Clearly I do not understand many things about the UK market and I apologize for my iggernunce.

I just spent several days trudging through NAMM, saying hello to folks that I often don't get to see except when they come out to LA for that show. Regarding cabinets, I noticed one curiosity this time around. Four (and, in all likelihood, more) different "new" exhibitors of amps all had the same cabinet made by the same speaker cabinet carpenter (different colors of tolex). I know the carpenter and how he builds his cabinets and he was there and pointed them out to me. What we both found amusing was that the different exhibitors all had different prices on the same cabinet (with the same speakers) to the tune of $800 difference from the highest to the lowest. Open the backs, they're identical. That's "Marketing," of course.
TS, if you need some sound samples of the Road Kill, I recorded this with a Squier Strat, going into an Engl Fireball into a RoadKill Stag with V30's in it.

https://soundcloud.com/andy-scarlett/breaking-the-law-cover
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Well the rhythm guitarist in my band has a HB, and I really don't like it, sounds just a bit blergh, tried another cab with V30s (same guitar, same head)
Plus I've heard good things about roadkill and I love the custom colours

no worries

and yeah the roadkill (assuming you're looking at the stag) is going to be a "better" cab. and obviously you can get nice colours which is nice.

just when the cheapo HB was available you could have got it first and then got the roadkill had the HB been "not good enough". Or conversely, as gumbi suggested, just get roadkill to load the v30s, maybe you'd have got a slightly better price (or not, I dunno, maybe RK only does that with eminence).

Still I mean it's not the end of the world or anything, you've still wasted far less money than I have on speakers
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?