Hello all, i have played guitar now for 11 years started on bass, went to acoustic, then to electric, there has been many breaks in between where i did not play (didn't have a guitar, too busy, lost interest, ect) and most recently (in the past 3 years) i had moved from Texas to California and i had sold off all my stuff didn't play at all for about a year (lack of funds, looking for a job, ect) finally got a guitar again realized i got very very out of practice, got frustrated would return it or sale to someone else, blah, blah, blah. Anyways to the main subject, i have noticed that i am very good at improv and making stuff up on the spot, and i can play along with songs pretty well and figure out stuff by ear. But when it comes to learning a song from beginning to end, note for note, i have the hardest time and get very annoyed and frustrated after awhile, my question is, is there a fundamental problem with my ability to learn songs, or are there different techniques i can try to get better at learning songs, or is it just more a matter of taking the time to learn each song part for part and practice it over and over again until you finally remember it? I mean i kind of understand the process that you are supposed to take to learn a song, but it seems some people take to it easier then myself and can learn a song in a matter of minuets to hours for me feels like days. Am i just being impatient? Any (constructive) advise/criticism would be appreciated.

Thanks
Quote by brent.cwk
or is it just more a matter of taking the time to learn each song part for part and practice it over and over again until you finally remember it?

Bingo.

That's pretty much what you need to do. Play it over and over until it's ingrained so deep in your ****ing mind it hurts. Then play it until you can't anymore.

Just remember to start slow and work your way up. Otherwise you'll learn to play it in a sloppy manner, and we don't want that, do we?

Good luck.
ayy lmao
Quote by chookiecookie
Bingo.

That's pretty much what you need to do. Play it over and over until it's ingrained so deep in your ****ing mind it hurts. Then play it until you can't anymore.

Just remember to start slow and work your way up. Otherwise you'll learn to play it in a sloppy manner, and we don't want that, do we?

Good luck.

Ok that's pretty much what i thought thanks for the confirmation guess I'm just gonna have to be more patient haha.
Learning songs got a lot more fun for me when I let go of a bunch of silly expectations I'd made for myself. I'd hear about people learning a song in a day or even less, and be frustrated that I couldn't do that. Now I just let them come along at their own pace, and don't worry about it. I'll just grab a few sections to start with, and practice them as part of my daily routine. When they seem like they're in good shape, I'll grab a few more sections, learn those, then start joining them, and so on. The big difference for me is that by not worrying about how fast I can learn the whole song, I've freed myself up to enjoy the process of working on the parts.
Quote by brent.cwk
but it seems some people take to it easier then myself and can learn a song in a matter of minuets to hours for me feels like days. Am i just being impatient?

Other people have other levels of skill at everything on guitar. Some songs will be easier for some people to learn than you, other songs will be harder for some people to learn than you.

All that matters is how much you need to practice to do it. Some songs honestly take me up to a month or so to learn for example, while others I can learn after a couple of times sight reading (tab, sadly I can't read notation that fast). If you keep learning songs then you'll get faster and better at learning songs, just like anything else on guitar.

It can be frustrating to learn at a slower pace than other people, just remember that with enough good practice you are able to learn whatever you want on guitar. Keep up the practice regularly and you'll be amazed at how you play the same time next year.
Being not in touch with your music at all times would definitely one of reasons of your struggling on this matter but you should never lost hope and not be disappointed, just keep on practicing hard on this and eventually you will see a difference in a matter of weeks.