Ok, so to start off I'm playing a frankenstrat of sorts (Squier body, Fender faceplate/pickups and a yamaha RGS121 neck and bridge).

Today I went to Guitar Center and bought a standard-sized nut. removed the nut on my neck (it was ground down not allowing me to set up properly) and then sanded down the new one and glued it in. Then I went about tightening the truss rod.

I got it all where I wanted and then tuned the guitar and my high e string started slipping. I kept tuning it back to e but it kept getting further and further away from being in tune until it just snapped a second ago. The string are about a week old so I know it's not their age that's the problem.

So since I'm a little low on funds at the moment (and only have 1 set of strings) and I need to have this thing up and running by Thursday for band practice, I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

Is it possible that the truss rod is too tight? It seemed to be getting pretty difficult to turn, but could that possibly have screwed up my ability to tune properly?

Is it maybe the new nut? should I pop it off again and try to grind it down so the strings aren't as high? The strings are sitting about 4 sheets of computer paper's thickness in height away from the fret at the moment.

I'm hoping it's not the tuners themselves, but they have to be mentioned. They're pretty old and cheapy but I've NEVER had problems with them.

I guess I should also mention that my trem is floating and tuned although I realize I'll probably have to retune it, is it possible that the truss rod adjustment made it go too out of whack to tune properly?
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jan 27, 2014,
If you were just changing the nut, why did you adjust the truss rod? Also, why did you adjust the truss rod without the strings on and the neck under tension?

Edit: Check that the string is moving freely through the nut slot. Nut slot binding would give you tuning and stability problems.
I detuned the strings to zero tension and pulled them to the side of the neck instead of taking them off when I changed out the nut. I figured it probably wouldn't matter.

I adjusted the truss rod because the neck's been bowed for some time (I did adjust them with the strings at tension. They went out of tune by the time I was finished I would only assume because the bridge is floating and that makes the strings more sensitive to pitch change) because my old nut was ground down so far that when I got it to where it was supposed to be I was getting mad fret buzz on frets 1-3. I needed more height at the nut.

Just checked and the strings are moving freely through the nut slot. Should I try increasing the size of the slots by just a hair to be on the safe side?

EDIT: Went ahead and just gave it a shot and ground down the nut slots a little. Totally worked. I'm all tuned up. Strings stretched and good to go :-) thanks dude!
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jan 27, 2014,
I would have bet that the string was just slipping on the tuner, it happens sometimes, glad you got it fixed up.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by mjones1992
I detuned the strings to zero tension and pulled them to the side of the neck instead of taking them off when I changed out the nut. I figured it probably wouldn't matter.

I adjusted the truss rod because the neck's been bowed for some time (I did adjust them with the strings at tension. They went out of tune by the time I was finished I would only assume because the bridge is floating and that makes the strings more sensitive to pitch change) because my old nut was ground down so far that when I got it to where it was supposed to be I was getting mad fret buzz on frets 1-3. I needed more height at the nut.

Just checked and the strings are moving freely through the nut slot. Should I try increasing the size of the slots by just a hair to be on the safe side?

EDIT: Went ahead and just gave it a shot and ground down the nut slots a little. Totally worked. I'm all tuned up. Strings stretched and good to go :-) thanks dude!

Ah, phew! Bad assumption on my part about the strings.

Sometimes just running an old string back and forth through the nut slot is enough to wear it and provide some lubrication (unless you're putting a much heavier string in). A bit of pencil in the slot can apparently help, but I've never needed to with my fixed bridge guitars (or FR, for obvious reasons).