I have a PRS SE. Ive had the guitar for a year. I usually jusy play in standard eadgbe tuning. I have recently began toying around in drop tunings. Specifically drop C and D.

Will it damage my neck leaving it detuned? I have a few different guitars so I would like to leave this one drop tuned at least for the time being.

I usually use .09-.42 strings. Should I be using different gauge strings for drop tuning?
It won't damage the neck. Worst that happens is that the difference in tension or the looseness of the string keeps it from optimum playability and you have to adjust the truss rod or just live with it not playing as smoothly as it could. Even that is unlikely, though, drop D and C aren't very far off E standard tension.

You could switch to a different low string for that, maybe just slap a .52 or something on. Single strings are pretty cheap.
Sweet. Thanks for the info, ROC.

So are you saying just change the E to a .52 and leave the other 5 strings light? What would be the purpose of just changing the E? I am not doubting your advice... just trying to clarify the advantage of going heavier on one string while remaining light on the others would achieve?
Light top, Heavy Bottom. Ernie Ball or similar. 52-10... You can make an ultra light, heavy bottom, where you keep the bottom three from the LTHB set and the top three from a 42-9...But even on a 25" scale they will be pretty floppy and want to go out of tune in Drop C.
Quote by Smigzy
Sweet. Thanks for the info, ROC.

So are you saying just change the E to a .52 and leave the other 5 strings light? What would be the purpose of just changing the E? I am not doubting your advice... just trying to clarify the advantage of going heavier on one string while remaining light on the others would achieve?

That string is the one that would be the most likely to start flopping around when you change tunings, plus it's the only one that would be downtuned in drop D. The light top/heavy bottom set mentioned above would be another great option, that would be more suited to the drop C. So it depends on which tuning you want to dial in the most.
I have an Ibanez S421, 25.5" scale, that I tune to drop D and drop C. I ordered a custom set (10 13 17 28 38 50). It seems to hold it well enough. The E is a little floppy with minor fret buzz when tuned down to C but it also took quite a bit of time setting it up, including some messing around with the truss rod (which may have something to do with the extremely cold weather here anyway). I wouldn't try anything lower with that size gauge though (at least not on my guitar).
Gear:
Ibanez RG2EX1 Gravity Storm(neck)/X2N(bridge) Drop Db
Ibanez S421 Air Norton(neck)/Super Distortion(bridge) Drop D
7th Heaven->ML-2->Dr. Boogie->Zoom G3->GE-7->NS-2->Mute
Line 6 Spider II HD150+foot pedal
Some 4x12 cab

It won't damage it by any means but i'd either recommend getting heavier strings or adjusting the truss rod. You'll find the strings are probably a bit looser than normal, that's for drop C though, drop D i wouldn't worry about it.
I'll use this thread since my doubt is kinda similar. My band uses the C tuning. Not Drop C, but C-F-B♭-E♭-G-C. My C guitar is kinda messed up and i'm going to gig in a few days. I have a backup Epiphone Les Paul Standard in E Standard tuning and I'm planning to use it. Should I restring it with heavier strings for this gig? I fear the neck tension and that kind of stuff.

Thanks!