i have a ion guitar it is very cheap and very old, i wanted to get into upgrading guitars as well as playing them, but i am new at it and don't really know what im doing.
My question is: Is a ion guitar a good platform to upgrade from?
any guitar is a good starter platform, and IMO i think cheap guitars all the better. Guitar upgrading/moding/whatever else it can be called is a wonderful thing, but be careful, and remember, you will make mistakes, but its all a learning experience.
Gear:

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Quote by abyssspecter
any guitar is a good starter platform, and IMO i think cheap guitars all the better. Guitar upgrading/moding/whatever else it can be called is a wonderful thing, but be careful, and remember, you will make mistakes, but its all a learning experience.

^ This is the best place for anyone to start. Get used to doing set-ups, hardware swaps and rewiring on a budget guitar, because those skills will be useful later on. The reason I started with this lark was because I couldn't afford to buy the greatest ESP or whatever as a student - I bought a dodgy SG copy as my second guitar, set it up properly, upgraded the hardware, added a full pickguard, then put an EMG 81 & 81 set in there. Did it play and sound like a Gibson? No. Did it work to bridge the gap and give me a massive improvement? Yes.