I am having a tough time deciding between the following two options and could really use some advice. Here is what I have to choose from:
1) Buy a new Ibanez JS2400
2) Keep my Charvel Model 4 MIJ and replace the pickups with the following:
Bridge = Super Distortion
Middle = Fast Track 1
Neck = The Chopper

The reason I am considering option 2 is that cost is an issue due to my other financial obligations.

Any feedback would be GREATLY appreciated!
Is there anything in particular you don't like about the Charvel other than the pickups?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Honestly, not much. The MIJ Charvel Model 4's are fairly nice guitars. I just really don't like EMG pickups. Other than that, it is a great guitar, especially when paired with my Vox VT80+ amp.

On the other hand, I am fully aware that the necks on the newer JS and Prestige S series are very nice. I played a JS 2410 at Guitar Center and is was very comfortable and fast.

I guess the question is will I be able to get a really good rhythm and lead tone from the older Basswood guitar with the high quality DiMarzio pickups, or do I have to bite the bullet and get a more modern guitar?
Last edited by Oneal75 at Jan 27, 2014,
It sounds like you're getting ready to throw the baby out with the bath water. New pickups can have a big impact on your tone at a much lower cost than buying a new guitar altogether.
As a MIJ Charvel I would assume that the woods are fairly decent. There's nothing inherently bad about basswood so a pickup change may be the way to go if you like the feel. Pickups are, by far, the biggest impact on a guitar's sound (other than amps etc).
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Oneal75

I guess the question is will I be able to get a really good rhythm and lead tone from the older Basswood guitar with the high quality DiMarzio pickups, or do I have to bite the bullet and get a more modern guitar?

it should be fine. most of the satriani models (not the one you tried) are basswood too. if you otherwise like the guitar (and those japanese charvels get a good rep) then change the pickups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you all for the advice. I decided to go with the new pickups as I really do like the rest of the Guitar. Hopefully, my pickup choice will give me what I am looking for. If not, I can always put the old pickups back on, sell the new pickups, and sell the guitar for some money to help offset the loss of buying a new guitar.