This is going to be a 2 part question 1) like the title says is using pedals with a solids state stupid. I mean I always thought pedals were best with tube amps. 2) how well does the vox valvetronix VT20+ take pedals?
1. No it is not stupid, many people have and do use pedals with SS amps with great results

2. No the Vox VT is a modeling amp, if you want a decent SS pedal platform, look at the Peavey Bandit
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They're mostly fine. I use two delays with a solid state Peavey and it sounds wonderful. My tone pretty much comes from the amp's clean channel but I have the two delays and onboard chorus and reverb to get a lovely shimmering mess.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Jan 27, 2014,
Or even better, an old Roland JC60 or JC120.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
So can you elaborate on why the Vox VT20+ won't be good for pedals?

Modeling amps seem to work best with their own FX and can get very muddy sounding when using FX pedals with them. This is not everyone's experience but the majority of players agree on this.

If you like Vox, look at the Vox Pathfinder it takes pedals nicely.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was just thinking about the valvtronix because my buddy has a vox ac15 and I like it but tube amps are to loud for me and I saw the valvtronix had a ac15 channel that sounds close enough to me. So I was gonna use it on the ac15 setting with pedals
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
This is going to be a 2 part question 1) like the title says is using pedals with a solids state stupid. I mean I always thought pedals were best with tube amps. 2) how well does the vox valvetronix VT20+ take pedals?

1) i use pedals with solid state amps all the time. there is a common misconception that 'pedals work best with tube amps' but i don't find that to be a very accurate statement, doesn't keep it from getting repeated though.

2) i have had some success using pedals with modelers, like wah pedals for example. i have never really used a real OD pedal to 'boost' a modeled amp before, so i just did and recorded it:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/gumbilicious/music/all/play1243599

used an HSS strat on bridge pup running into a boutique tubescreamer clone into a presonus eureka channel strip. the signal then goes to a audio interface and onto a computer. amplitube was used as the amp/pedal/cab/mic simulator.

first part is just the amp sim, subsequent parts are with the amp being driven by an OD. i didn't specify which was the real OD or the digitally emulated OD and i chose the order by flipping a coin. while they do sound different, if you can't tell which is which off of pure quality then that should speak for itself.

so i'd say modelers can take pedals pretty well.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 27, 2014,
In my experience, modelling amps don't work very well with pedals, but hey, Gumbi just showed it can be done. However, the real point is: If you want to use pedals what's the point of getting a modelling amp? A modelling amp is designed to take care of all the effects and distortion for you. If you plan on just using a pedal platform, you can probably find something better. Do you have a set budget? I got a Peavey Valveking 112 for $100 and it's quiet enough to play in my bedroom and is an excellent pedal platform.

If you're absolutely set on SS, then Roland Jazz Chorus is the default choice. I would suggest looking at Raven amps as well if you want something cheap.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
i don't think it's stupid if you need them to do a tone your amp doesn't do and/or if you like the sound of them with a solid state amp. the problem arises when you're using them to compensate for an amp you don't really like the sound of, in that case you're kind of throwing good money after bad and biting the bullet and getting a good amp would likely be a better idea.

i dunno about pedals with tube amps versus solid states. There are certain things you can do with pedals with tube amps which don't really work with SS amps (boosting for example, or even combining pedal dirt with tube amp dirt to get a warmer sound) which you could use to make the argument that they're better with tube amps. But it depends on the tones you're after and the specific types of pedals you're using. I doubt it makes much difference with delay pedals, for example.

I've never really used pedals with modellers so I can't help there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
Also are there any SS fender amps that would be good for pedals

From what I recall, a SS Fender Eighty-five with a Marshall Shredmaster in front can give you some delicious, raunchy sounds.

*Cough* Jonny Greenwood *cough*
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Last edited by Fishybones at Jan 28, 2014,
I've used pedals with not even guitars (synthesizers) and it gave nice results.

That being said Dave hit the nail with this one. It won't better the base tone of the amp.

If it's undynamic, thin, lacking low end etc. then a pedal won't fix that, at least not for the same price as to just get a new 2nd hand amp.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Pedals do work with the VT+ however it's really a trial in patience. So models work better than others (mainly the clean ones). It still didn't sound as good as my AC4 with the same pedal infront of it.

Honestly though, that 8" speaker is tinny. I'm a freak as I prefer 10" to 12" but most people prefer 12".

If you are looking for Vox tone in the same price range you can get a AC4Tv. Really happy with mine. It's a bit of an upgrade amp. Avoid the handwired ones. For that price you can get an AC15.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
a lot of people confuse ss with modeling amps pedals work fine with ss amps not so much with most modeling amps. that said the higher end line6 modelers (vetta ,flextone, hd147.)have effect loops built in and they work well.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
Pedals do work with the VT+ however it's really a trial in patience. So models work better than others (mainly the clean ones). It still didn't sound as good as my AC4 with the same pedal infront of it.

Honestly though, that 8" speaker is tinny. I'm a freak as I prefer 10" to 12" but most people prefer 12".

If you are looking for Vox tone in the same price range you can get a AC4Tv. Really happy with mine. It's a bit of an upgrade amp. Avoid the handwired ones. For that price you can get an AC15.

What do you mean an upgrade amp
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
What do you mean an upgrade amp

Oh sorry. Most people say you need to upgrade the speaker and get good tubes (I don't consider this an upgrade). Some also do the Bright Cap mod. I don't mind the stock speaker and I don't have stock tubes ( I bought mine used, not sure what kind). It does have a 16 ohms out so it can be hooked up to cab, which might make more sense than a speaker swap.

This amp does not have a master volume so it needs to be cranked to break up. It's loud. It does have an output selector.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Last edited by Shadowofravenwo at Jan 29, 2014,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I've had good results running various pedals (wah, delay, od, phaser) into my Vypyr 60.

I'm going to make a video soon for the Pedalboard contest showing my board in progress into my VIP-3. Sounds perfectly fine, it should be good for showing off the merits of having an analog (not digitally modeled) preamp, for use with pedals etc..
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The idea of using pedals with solid state being "bad" comes from the fact that most drive pedals are used to push the preamp tubes in a tube amp into saturation. As long as you're not using a drive pedal to overdrive the transistors in the solid state preamp, you should be fine.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
The idea of using pedals with solid state being "bad" comes from the fact that most drive pedals are used to push the preamp tubes in a tube amp into saturation. As long as you're not using a drive pedal to overdrive the transistors in the solid state preamp, you should be fine.

I think headroom plays a factor too. I have an MXR M77 set in "boost mode" (low gain, high volume), and the sound it puts out is not undesirable in any way on my VIP. There's no harsh clipping. But that amp has 100W.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I think headroom plays a factor too. I have an MXR M77 set in "boost mode" (low gain, high volume), and the sound it puts out is not undesirable in any way on my VIP. There's no harsh clipping. But that amp has 100W.

Well, are you running it in front or in the loop? The VIP may also be built with higher preamp headroom (something something negative feedback? I forget...) since it's a modeler, hence why you don't get any nasty clipping. Or you may not be actually running the MXR full tilt and pushing the VIP into distortion, but instead the pedal itself is clipping.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
All in front, the VIP has no loop, sadly.

The output on the pedal is all the way up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Then as well.
Gibson Les Paul Studio