Hey guys!

I'm talking about copyright infringements. Would I be breaking any laws if I were to use hand-drawn depictions of famous horror movie characters (Frankenstein, Freddy Krueger etc) on the cover of my next CD? Not really sure where to turn to or who to ask so thought I'd ask you guys.

Cheers creeps and creepettes!
Quote by slash_GNR666
You sir, are a giant c*** and you finger will forever haunt my dreams.

Quote by Kind, Non-Existant User
Coco-Loco is the finest bit of meat on the butcher block.
You probably will.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Bugger, that's kind of what I thought =/

Damn.....thanks guys!
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Jan 28, 2014,
But you also how question how much anyone would care. Even it were, strictly speaking, breaking copyright, would anyone ever see or actually hold you to it?
Quote by MadClownDisease
But you also how question how much anyone would care. Even it were, strictly speaking, breaking copyright, would anyone ever see or actually hold you to it?

A friend of mine created a website designed to stream radio/music related content over the web. (kind of like a Twitch.TV , but for music instead of gaming)

He used a picture of a globe somewhere on his site.
The site, of course, was very unknown to the public.
Still he got a letter from a company who made that globe picture to take it down or legal actions would be taken against him.
He took it down and made something himself.
There are a lot of people who care. I wouldn't go for it if I was TS
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
A friend of mine created a website designed to stream radio/music related content over the web. (kind of like a Twitch.TV , but for music instead of gaming)

He used a picture of a globe somewhere on his site.
The site, of course, was very unknown to the public.
Still he got a letter from a company who made that globe picture to take it down or legal actions would be taken against him.
He took it down and made something himself.
There are a lot of people who care. I wouldn't go for it if I was TS

Wow, that's full on! Yeah I mean....the chances of getting busted are slim and it's not like I'm going to make it big or anything crazy, but I just don't wanna take that chance. If I play it safe I'll safe any potential issues.

Cheers

Quote by Hydra150

Wow, that's actually mega interesting! It's really not that clear-cut! Wow.....
Quote by slash_GNR666

Last edited by coco-loco at Jan 28, 2014,
I would assume you'd have more success putting Frankenstein's monster on your cover, as there's no immediate public perception of what Frankenstein himself looks like.

Which could work for you copyright-wise actually.
My old signature was too long. Have a daisy.

You would probably be ok if, say, you didn't draw Boris Karloff as the monster. Made it recognizable, but put your own spin on it.
That said, some of these companies pay people whose only job is to scour media, like the internet, for potential copyright or trademark violations.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by RAB11
I would assume you'd have more success putting Frankenstein's monster on your cover, as there's no immediate public perception of what Frankenstein himself looks like.

If it looks vaguely like the visual interpretation that I believe Universal Studios owns, then yes, he can still get sued over it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
If it looks vaguely like the visual interpretation that I believe Universal Studios owns, then yes, he can still get sued over it.

I think he was making a pedantic point that what he's calling Frakenstein is actually Frankenstein's monster, and thus he could draw Dr Frankenstein himself all he wants.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

RAB11 was just being picky. In the book, Frankenstein is the guy who created the monster, not the monster itself, which is more correctly called Frankenstein's Monster.

EDIT:^That. I was looking for the word "pedantic" too but I couldn't remember it.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jan 28, 2014,
Oh yeah I know the difference, I misread his post.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by RAB11

He wasn't being pedantic.
Quote by CelestialGuitar

He was right, but he was still being pedantic. Everyone knows who people are referring to when they say "Frankenstein", even though strictly speaking it is Frankenstein's monster they're talking about.
Okay, all good guys! Problem diverted!
Quote by slash_GNR666

Quote by CelestialGuitar

Sorry for being pedantic but isn't this pedantic too?
Frank's monster: Character is in the public domain, specific visualizations most likely are copyrighted.

Freddy Kruger: Don't touch it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK