Page 1 of 2
Hi.
I have just finished writing some cool stuffs with guitar pro.All the rhythm ,lead,drums ,.. are written using GuitarPro and I have made 8 songs by it.

I even tried Guitar Rig+Fl Studio as a useful instrument for mastering and streaming the guitar parts but The audio exported by Guitar Rig is not as good as Guitar pro ,for a Poor guitar player like me who can't afford to buy a better guitar than this Ibanez GRX70 I already have.

Any way I can just use guitar pro and enhance the quality of the songs exported by it without having to buy a new guitar ? (for a better sound).
Last edited by siros11 at Jan 28, 2014,
You're asking whether you can somehow use GuitarPro to make listen-able recordings?

No, I'm afraid not.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I even tried to record the guitar tracks using "Guitar Rig" but the exported sound by the guitar rig wasn't so good.A friend told me to change my Ibanez GRX70 guitar to a new better guitar to get the better sound in guitar rig !
I don't know if he's got the point or I should buy a $1000 guitar for recording purposes !!??
Honestly you can probably get a fine recording with your ibanez.

What you probably lack is the production knowledge and perhaps suitable interface hardware (which doesn't have to be expensive if you're on a budget)

As for the computer djent... in a genre where all the guitars are super compressed and digital anyway I'm not surprised that a sampler program sounds just as good as the real thing.

The lead sounds naff though.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
The next guy adviced me to download a 30Gbyte vsti to produce what I wanted.but He said I would never get as the real sound as the guitar itself.
You can export each track as a wav and then import it and use a vst. It won't be as good as a real guitar but you can try
Quote by xFilth
^Sure you can.

This is made with no real instruments:

https://soundcloud.com/isworks/shreddage-2-subterrenea-by-ian

... but it's still gonna be better and easier to just play it with a real guitar

Shreddage = Guitar Pro now???

And as long as you're using an interface of some sort a GRX70 should be able to make totally listenable stuff.
Just keep tinkering with what ever you may find, if you have the determination to find your own method to produce your music you will find it.

Back in the 70's and 80's bands would record into a cheap tape deck in the middle of the room and everyone just playing their parts. The quality wasn't very good but most of the time if the talent was present it was good enough to get the band into a few live playing situations.

Now fast forward 30 to 40 years with the Ipads PC's and the apps and programs out on the market for free, you can find a way to record your music. Do not give up and keep trying.

I'm not sure where you live but Guitar Centers offer recording clinics from time to time never been to one myself, this could be a way to meet fellow producers and learn from them.

The advice from friends is to considered with what they offer to help improve,
Quote by Benzeyn
You can export each track as a wav and then import it and use a vst. It won't be as good as a real guitar but you can try

I already have realpc musiclab and it sucks.
I'll say it again.

No reason why you can't record with your guitar. It's fine. The problem is likely that you're new to recording, don't know how to record demos yet and probably not using the right recording hardware.

How did you record your guitar in the first place and do you have clips?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Don't bother using Guitar Pro audio for any serious application unless you want it to sound like cheap MIDI. If you want it to sound like a real guitar, use a real guitar. There are plenty of reasons it could sound bad; weak playing/editing, muddy pickups, poor reamping software, or bad EQing. To help us figure out what it is, post a clip (30 seconds should be long enough) from something you recorded with a real guitar.
Quote by ChemicalFire
I'll say it again.

No reason why you can't record with your guitar. It's fine. The problem is likely that you're new to recording, don't know how to record demos yet and probably not using the right recording hardware.

How did you record your guitar in the first place and do you have clips?

I recorded them by exporting the raw matterials (in guitar pro) ,I even tried to export it as a midi file and bringing it to FL studio with a vst ,but still sounds bad.
much to my amazement,I wondered how the exported wav sound from guitar pro sounds alot better than the vst-played-in-FLstudio midi file or even the guitar-rig-wav-by-the-real-guitar.

And by the way,I have an on-board sound card and it's not professional sound card.
should I blame it on that?
Quote by Cavalcade
Don't bother using Guitar Pro audio for any serious application unless you want it to sound like cheap MIDI. If you want it to sound like a real guitar, use a real guitar. There are plenty of reasons it could sound bad; weak playing/editing, muddy pickups, poor reamping software, or bad EQing. To help us figure out what it is, post a clip (30 seconds should be long enough) from something you recorded with a real guitar.

ultimate guitar is not letting me to upload mp3 format so I uploaded the file somewhere else.
it's 20 seconds november rain I played using my ibanez guitar and guitar rig preset ("80's solo").I think the sound is sort of stifled and don't know to either blame it on my sound card or a weak guitar.
the uploaded record:
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=ga3ca5eb8c471aca399945015191106e45106c153c
It honestly sounds alright, though going direct into your soundcard isn't ideal. You can end up breaking things. If you ebay "Guitar Link" and look for something like this:

That's pretty much the cheapest possible interface worth using, no bells or whistles, but it makes sure the levels and voltages are right for your guitar.

What are you listening through when you listen back to it?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by ChemicalFire
It honestly sounds alright, though going direct into your soundcard isn't ideal. You can end up breaking things. If you ebay "Guitar Link" and look for something like this:

That's pretty much the cheapest possible interface worth using, no bells or whistles, but it makes sure the levels and voltages are right for your guitar.

What are you listening through when you listen back to it?

I don't think it sounds alright compared to this solo I link here from my pal who had done it with a better sound card and a better guitar (preset is 80's solo,fade to black solo):
http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=ge8a9622b64cfaca6999450172d104857a2c97b502

It's got a better resolution.doesn't it?
It has a little more top end. That's about it. Also, no offence, his playing is cleaner.

Using the guitar link will overcome the impedance mismatch that is sapping your top end. It will be perfectly usable.

You do not need to buy a new guitar.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Jan 28, 2014,
But still I doubt it if there's another dynamic at play which holds the quality of my solo's sound back.
the difference between mine and his is not just the static sounds (which is heard in my solo is not heard in his).My solo is kind of stifled but his solo's got a better resolution and it's not something that Guitar link fix it.
Is there anybody out there to tell me if I should change my sound card either?
Interfaces, which that guitar link is, act as replacement sound cards that connect through USB and is designed to take guitar input. Meaning it'll sound better. One of our members uses them from time to time despite owning far more expensive equipment because they're actually pretty good.

You ask for our help and then completely ignore it... why?

Quote by DisarmGoliath
@TS:
Here's the bottom line. If you want a good recording of "guitar sounds". You need the following:
  • a guitar
  • a guitar interface -- I own the GuitarLink; it's not a bad interface for the price...which was only $15 on eBay, iirc; otherwise, stop by the interfaces sticky for some higher quality rec's https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1541771. (I also have a better quality one, which I first learned about via the interfaces sticky. Note: There are all kinds of resources in this subforum's stickies; use them!)
  • a basic 1/4" cable to connect the interface and the guitar -- This is the cable you plug into your amp, so you probably already own one.
  • a DAW -- Which is kind of what GuitarPro is -- EXCEPT NOT AT ALL, so get a DAW. (See post # 22 & 23; I goofed up, lol.) Reaper is the cheapest DAW, at $60. Others prefer the workflow of FL or Ableton or programs like that.

You will NEVER get a good recording of guitar sounds without actually plugging your guitar in and playing, short of maybe (big maybe) buying a very expensive ($500 expensive) plug-in. So, it's a hell of a lot cheaper and more efficient to do what we have already suggested. Otherwise, your recordings are not even going to be "demo" quality...just the truth, man. Take it, or leave it.

Edit:
Oh, and just so you know, you should NEVER EVER (in a million fucking years), buy an adapter which allows you to plug your guitar directly into your mic/line-in port. Why? Because it can blow out that port. How do I know? Because I blew out my laptop's line-in port. Plus, the sound quality will decrease because mic/line-in ports are NOT designed to accept those kind inputs; the result being (assuming it doesn't blow out the port) that your guitar pickups will sound muddy and ugly, no matter how expensive they are or how clear they sound normally.
If you can't spend $15+ on an interface, then don't even bother recording via a computer. I mean, it's a very small investment for ok quality recording. Might as well just do.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by Cavalcade
Not even "kind of" true. A DAW is specifically designed to work with audio. Guitar Pro is a glorified composing tool with slightly more advanced playback. DAWs are for sound. GP is for notes.

Oops...wow, how did I even say that?...I knew that, lol. Sorry. Anyway, yeah...get an actual DAW. (Edited above.)

@TS:
If you want to try it out, Reaper is free for 45 days. (That sound correct, guys?) You could also try out a free recording program like Audacity, which is ok but has limited functionality. But, for getting your feet wet, might as well try it -- just because it is free.
Quote by ChemicalFire
Interfaces, which that guitar link is, act as replacement sound cards that connect through USB and is designed to take guitar input. Meaning it'll sound better. One of our members uses them from time to time despite owning far more expensive equipment because they're actually pretty good.

You ask for our help and then completely ignore it... why?

I didn't know the guitar link has an external sound card inside it.
Quote by siros11
I didn't know the guitar link has is an external sound card inside it.

You should probably read the Interfaces thread. It has a lot of important information about recording. (Can we get it renamed so more people will read it?)
Sadly the actual title as it appears on the forum list won't change even if I change the title of the thread.

There'd have to be a new thread made completely.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by siros11
act as replacement sound cards.

Am I right about what I am quoting from our english dear friend, "ChemicalFire" ?
He just said it acts like a sound card ! And I wonder how cheap a sound card could be ! only $15 !!!!
Quote by siros11
Am I right about what I am quoting from our english dear friend, "ChemicalFire" ?
He just said it acts like a sound card ! And I wonder how cheap a sound card could be ! only $15 !!!!

It's designed for recording instruments, though, which your sound card isn't. He already said that this is the cheapest option there is. If you want a better sound card, get a better interface.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Oops...wow, how did I even say that?...I knew that, lol. Sorry. Anyway, yeah...get an actual DAW. (Edited above.)

@TS:
If you want to try it out, Reaper is free for 45 days. (That sound correct, guys?) You could also try out a free recording program like Audacity, which is ok but has limited functionality. But, for getting your feet wet, might as well try it -- just because it is free.

HOw this reaper works out ? is it like an equalizer?
Quote by Cavalcade
Can't mods change thread titles?

Pretty sure they can - a certain mod got a wee bit drunk one night & renamed the Recording Chat Thread to be the Llama Chat thread
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Cavalcade
Reaper is the program you use to record and mix songs. It's better than Audacity, and it lets you equalize, along with other very important things.

I am also working with FL studio and wanna know if this digital spawn (FL studio) could stand for reaper.or "I'm gonna need reaper anyhow".
REAPER is a DAW (recording program.) FL Studio is also a DAW. If you have FL Studio you don't need to worry about REAPER.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last mag,I don't see it if I can change the exported guitar rig sound into the FL studio and still have a good recordable sound !(what did I say,lol !).
I think that no tangible changes may occur after changing the exported guitar rig sound with FL studio.
I'm not sure quite what you just said...

Quote by DisarmGoliath
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Spambot_2/music/all/play1243551

Listen to these solos.
Like 'em? Well the quality at least?
All of the parts were played through a $205 guitar through a $140 audio interface.
**** it if ya don't have good stuff, get better at playing and get better at editing and get a better amp sim than guitar rig which, even if you may think otherwise, is a pretty bad amp sim.

Find tutorials on youtube or try foryourself and use bits of EQing, bits of compression, bits of delay and so on and get yourself a good lead sound.
Also, playing through an audio interface, even a cheap one, will most certainly sound better than plugging the thing directly into the sound card which is designed to recieve another kinda input.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by GaryBillington
Pretty sure they can - a certain mod got a wee bit drunk one night & renamed the Recording Chat Thread to be the Llama Chat thread

I have no idea what you are talking about

Yeah, if you want the interface thread title changing just let me, Matrix or jof1029 know what you think it should be and we can do that in like two clicks of a mouse and copy-pasting the title
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by siros11
Last mag,I don't see it if I can change the exported guitar rig sound into the FL studio and still have a good recordable sound !(what did I say,lol !).
I think that no tangible changes may occur after changing the exported guitar rig sound with FL studio.

Are you asking if you can use guitar rig in FL studio? Because the answer is yes, I believe. That said, you really should do yourself a favor and check out some of the free amp sims in the amp sims sticky. They sound a hell of a lot better, despite being free. (I know, with a lot of things, free usually means shitty. Definitely not the case with the free amp sims in the sticky.)

Also, I second Spambot; get on Youtube and look for some recording videos. Here's a tip: if the person says something like, "Simply throw X, Y, Z into the mix AND -- bam! instant great sound" without explaining each step in detail (the why's, the fact that you'll need to adjust things for your gear, etc.)...then ignore that video. You want the why, as well as the how.
Page 1 of 2