I am trying to choose a small tube amp for a good classic rock sound I am looking at the Blackstar HT-5, Bugera V5, or Vox AC4TV. Please keep it to LOW watt tube amps. Yes I understand that a lot of people think they sound bad but I like them so please no suggestions for higher watt tube amps. I think the blackstar and the vox sound the best. But the blackstar doesn't have the ability to adjust the wattage like the other 2.
But the blackstar does have a 3 band eq the others don't which is nice.

And the vox just has volume the bugera and blackstar have volume and gain controls which is nice

So all and all:
Blackstar HT-5
Pros: 3 band eq, 2 channel(comes with foot switch), 12in speaker, volume and gain control
Cons: only 5w can't adjust wattage, most expensive

Bugera V5
Pros: volume and gain control, reverb, cheapest, can adjust wattage
Cons: only a tone knob, 8in speaker

Vox AC4TV
Pros: adjustable wattage, sounds nice, 10in speaker?, its a VOX
Cons: only a tone knob
Last edited by USMC_VET_ROCKER at Jan 28, 2014,
Between them, the Bugera or the Vox, and IMO a blackheart BH5 would be better than any of them.

Why do you want a small tube amp instead of a big one anyway?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I like the Vox AC4TV. I used one as my practice amp for a long time & it did everything I needed it to really well.

The only note I'd make it that it's worth getting the head & cab version so you have the 12" speaker, it really blows away the combo versions.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Ac4 with the ten inch is a great
little amp run it into a 2x12 and
its even better.
Don't forget to check out the VHT Special 6 too. The Marshall Class 5 is pretty sweet.
I'll second that any of these you'd really want to to get the head version and get a 1x12 cab. Anything smaller with just one speaker tends to be kind of meh
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Of those, I'd probably go for the Vox or Blackstar.

I'd also look at the Carvin Vintage16.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz

I'd also look at the Carvin Vintage16.

Can't believe I forgot about these. Really nice little amps, if you can find one. Love mine for country and blues. A decent pedal will pull some nice classic rock out of it
Gibson SG Standard
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
You might want to look at a H&K Tubemeister as well. Really versatile.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson Les Paul Tribute 50's
Gibson Midtown Custom
Fender Telecaster Deluxe
Fender Telecaster Standard
Gretsch Corvette
Danelectro DC59

Crybaby | TS9 | Korg | Little Big Muff | PS-6| MXR Chorus | TC Spark| DL4
I like my Kustom Defender 5H. Got it second hand in a trade for something I bought for $60.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Take a look at the Epiphone Valve Junior, it's very good, only has a volume control but with one of the Joyo "sound" pedals (American, British, California, AC) and a decent OD it sounds pretty damn good.
Thanks for the input guys I think I'm gonna go with the vox.. I think it will sound the best with my zoom g3x pedal
I would get the AC4C1 over the AC4TV. The C1 has a volume and gain control so you don't need to crank the master to get dirty tones. But Ibanez just announced the TSA5TVR. It seems like an interesting low-power amp. I definitely plan on checking them out when they come out. If they're anything like a cheap Swart, it will be great.
Quote by USMC_VET_ROCKER
Delaware

i am sorry about that.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I don't think they necessarily sound bad, just I think they're marketed for situations which I don't really think they're suitable for

i haven't tried it but I'd have thought the blackstar would have a more modern sound. I'd probably look at the ones which have variable wattage, because if you want power tube distortion (and you probably do for classic rock) you need some way of achieving that while also keeping the volume down. as people have been saying, a bigger speaker/better cabinet will help with the overall tone, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Get a Tiny Terror, switchable between 7/15 watts and sounds great!
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
Seagull S6
Laney Lionheart L5T

and a bunch pedals...
Quote by jonthorsigmunds
Get a Tiny Terror, switchable between 7/15 watts and sounds great!

I swear the tiny terror is 20w
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
The micro terror is 20w.
The tiny terror and the jim root terror and the dark terror are 15/7w and the dual terror is 30/15/7w.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You may still be able to get a JVM1. I have one of these, a DSL1, and the Blackstar HT5C. I bought the blackstar first and it's a good amp but it was too loud for my townhome so I could never turn it up far enough to make it shine. The Marshall 1 amps are great if you need a quieter amp. They have a switch to turn them down to .01 watts. You can turn them to 10, have your Marshall sound, and not have your neighbors call the police. They are a little expensive but I got mine new for $649, not $1200. I wanted a JCM1 but they were sold out before I could get one.
Quote by philwhite
I bought the blackstar first and it's a good amp but it was too loud for my townhome so I could never turn it up far enough to make it shine.
As far as my knowledge goes, the HT5s don't have a tube power stage, so even if it does sound better turned up a bit, there's no point in turning it up a lot for the sake of sound.

Also, for $650 you can get a lot of better stuff, y' know.
Jet city's, 6505+'s, vypyr tube's, orange's...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I had a Bugera V5 amp. It's a Nice amp but its kind of Dark, or bassy sounding. I had to get an EQ pedal to get any kind of a Bright tone from it. Single coil guitars arent too bad but Humbucker's just didnt sound that Good to me.

It sounds Good for Jazz or Blues but not Great for a Classic Rock or Metal sound. No Chime at all.

I sold mine and 1st bought a Mustang 1 amp which worked better even though it wasnt a tube amp. Then I bought a Fender Blues Jr III. I know it's more than you want to spend but it sounds Great and I can still use it at bedroom levels and also it cranks up for Rock and with a pedal for Metal.

Just my 2 cents
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder