I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

I've noticed tabs disappearing at times with a notice "removed at the request of the publisher". Some of these tabs I've referenced for a long time, then they're gone.

Is "the publisher" the individual who wrote the tab? Ultimate Guitar to use for their tab pro? Or is it the artist, etc. themselves. Very disappointing when that happens.
It's usually the company that an artist signed with that manages the mechanical royalty end of things and wants a piece of everything that could possibly generate income. Instead of seeing these transcriptions as free advertising for an artist and helping promote their songs to the UG community, these parasites wish they could be making money selling sheet music to you.

I have never heard an artist try to discourage their fans from learning their songs. A couple years ago, Billy Talent put out an insert with their CD with guitar parts transcribed and held a contest 'Soundcheck With Billy Talent' A different lucky winner played a song of their choice with the band the afternoon of the concert at nearly every stop on that tour. Kudos Misters Talent!!
Last edited by P_Trik at Jan 28, 2014,
Wow, thats a bunch of you know what, I'll boycott all of em. Fine line in my eyes. Some people put serious effort into these tabs, and some loser lawyer from a record company gets to shut them down.

I guess they could technically shut you down as a teacher then, should you teach a student a song without paying someone royalties.

Hell, many of these songs dont even have sheet music available.
I give up. Everything just gets crazier and crazier every year that goes by.

Thanks for clearing that up. About to boycott some of my favorite bands if they were gonna be that way.

Cant try and play your stuff? Then I wont help you play it either without buying albums or seeing their shows. Would definitely do that if I was sure the artists were aware.

Maybe I'm a jerk for feeling that way.

Thanks again
Quote by pushingthrough
I give up. Everything just gets crazier and crazier every year that goes by.

Thanks for clearing that up. About to boycott some of my favorite bands if they were gonna be that way.

Cant try and play your stuff? Then I wont help you play it either without buying albums or seeing their shows. Would definitely do that if I was sure the artists were aware.

Maybe I'm a jerk for feeling that way.

Thanks again

I don't think it's the bands/artists that are doing this. Many may not be aware of it or are presented with a skewed version of the reasons and just go along with it ignorantly. If there were a fair system in place for an individual to pay a small royalty to for the use of a song, I would have no problem with that either. The artist deserves fair compensation and who WOULDN'T want to give something to an songwriter they really like? BUT ...... slippery slope to middle men raping both sides like the music industry did to everyone from Elvis to Ozzy. Good luck!

*edit: Both sides being; the consumer with high prices, and the artist with low compensation
Last edited by P_Trik at Jan 29, 2014,
It's almost definitely the label or some publisher in most cases. From what I've heard, lot of bands think it's cool that people make tabs so others can learn their songs - and in some cases bands compose in GP and upload the original song here on UG (awesome), but that's pretty rare. Lot of famous bands who don't tab also show how to play their riffs in video interviews or on youtube. I've sometimes messaged artists I've tabbed about accuracy, tuning questions on certain albums etc and it's just helpful positive responses and they're really cool with it. So I don't think you should boycott the band just because they're signed with a greedy record company.
I've noticed that in many cases it's only selected songs, so I presume it's as P_Trik says, driven by the owner of a particular song. If you see there were 5 versions (all removed) here at UG, just google harder. I can usually find what seems to be a resonable copy somewhere in the world. I'll fix up the chords and timing locally, but I don't bother trying to resubmit to UG. It always seemed short sighted to me for the publishers...
Some tabs are just rip offs of other peoples work anyway! And then there are the ones, typical bone heads, who make tabbing far to foolish.
Endless symbols, it's like reading the walls of King Tut's tomb.
Tabbing is not musical notation stop w/ the endless symbol garbage.
If I wanted to learn all this I'll just learn to read music it is easier.