ahhhhh the age ol dilemma, its my birthday coming up, and the missus is talking of buying me a new noise maker to keep me busy, but i have no idea what to go for, iv always been pretty simplistic when it comes to guitars and never really gotten into the nitty gritty, iv just bought something i liked the looks of and played, one thing i can say is iv always had ibanez...

im currently rocking out on a rg370dxzl its nothing but basic i havent upgraded anything i just bought as is off of ebay for what i was told was a bargain, i got it around the £200 mark and having a quick look at the internet they still seem to be selling for the mid £300s i couldnt tell you what the pick ups are or anything like that, all i know is iv enjoyed playing it and i do lurrrrrrve playing it.....

the downside to it is a couple of months ago it took a pretty nasty bang and iv got a large chip on the front then where the pick up selector switch is its chipped there and cracked the wood a little bit inside, it stills plays fine everything still works all in all it could use a restring but thats about it.i aint made use of the floating trem and not really found the point in it so iv blocked it off and tuning wise i generally play a little bit in standard or if i have to i go back up to standard E.

music wise we tend to play a mix, billy talent, blink 182, shinedown, tv on the radio, fall out boy , alkaline trio, youmeatsix, three days grace etc......

so what do i do... do i pay a probably extortionate price to get the front of my current guitar looked at, do i upgrade the pick ups, do i try and sell it (god knows what price id even ask for) do i keep it as a practice machine n buy something new and shiny (with a nice hard case and strap locks lol)

if i do go new i want to be spending £300 to a absolute max of £400 now i had in my head as iv seen plenty of right handers getting an epiphone les paul zakk wyldie type beasty, but im a lefty and they dont seem to exist.....

then my cousin comes along and says he wouldnt touch epiphone anything not even if they were given to him and says go with an ESP something along the lines of

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/left_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13061215310532

where as i was looking at something like

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-left-handed-electric-guitar-ebony

but truth be told i dont know anything about either, i just want something different to my usual go to, i dont know a lot about ibanez either iv just always gone for them...

there aint too many reviews about either on the internet all i found about the ESP was it sounded good clean but didnt have much OOMPH when you went down n dirty

soooo what do i do, keep mine, get new strings, maybe upgrade the pick ups, maybe look at a repair, or keep the battle wounds.

sell it if so for what price

buy new, if so what , one of the above, something different

all help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I got one of these a month ago, although maybe out of your price bracket (truthfully, it was beyond my original budget lol). I am more than happy with it (I got it for a bit cheaper than the price below);

http://www.guitar.co.uk/hagstrom-swede-natural-mahogany-gloss-electric-guitar

They do lefties as well but you will need to search.

The ultra Swede's should fall into your price range but are a bit zippier sounding, I tried a couple and they were pretty good. Found you a lefty here;

http://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-guitars/hagstrom-ultra-swede-left-hand-black-gloss-15512/?&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison&gclid=CMikhp26obwCFYsKwwodkl4AKg

You should also maybe check out Michael Kelly's. I had a shot of a MK Vintage and I seriously considered it before trying the Swede.

http://www.guitar.co.uk/michael-kelly-patriot-vintage-amberburst-electric-guitar
just had a quick look but iv never heard of them lol, which is deffo a drawback for me, i dont mind dipping my toes into uncharted terrortary as i mentioned with ESP and epiphone but i have heard of them so its not as bad lol
Quote by Demonizer_andy
just had a quick look but iv never heard of them lol, which is deffo a drawback for me, i dont mind dipping my toes into uncharted terrortary as i mentioned with ESP and epiphone but i have heard of them so its not as bad lol

Google is your friend (as is the search facility on here).
Quote by Demonizer_andy

Two things.

Epiphone is probably not as bad as he's trying to make it sound. They can and do make a quality instrument from time to time. Esp (not ltd, which is what he's suggested) Is almost an entirely different brand compared to either though. (even though ltds are essentially cheaper esps) It's also far out of your price range.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Fill that out for us and post it here. I'd be happy to suggest some things with a little more information.

Edit: Just saw you said you were a lefty. That'll narrow options down substantially.
ayy lmao
Last edited by chookiecookie at Jan 28, 2014,
Epiphone doesn't suck. Anything that's an LP Standard or better is a great little guitar for the money. I'd honestly recommend them in your situation because they're very well suited to your style of music, in fact you can literally swap out the pickups in the LP Custom with EMG 81/85's and you'll end up with what is essentially the Zakk Wylde Sig LP Custom guitar. So if a high-gain metal tone is what you want, it's a no-brainer. Although you did mention that you have a lot of interest in some other bands that aren't really metal-oriented. EMG 81/85's are a bit of a niche pickup, so if you want versatility, I'd just stick with the stock Probucker pickups in the LP Custom for now. They're honestly really nice for a guitar of such a price range, the coil-tapping is a nice feature too.

The LTD EC-330 is a meh guitar, £350 for an LP-style guitar that doesn't have a set neck is a complete ripoff, and it doesn't really come with anything too special. And LTD are not to be mistaken for ESP btw. ESP's are about £1500, so they're completely out of the question.

Also I'd recommend having a look at chookiecookie's link to the sticky. But presumably you want an LP-style guitar, which is a start. You should be able to find what you're looking for quite quickly since your options are very limited. Mainly because you're left-handed, which really sucks. 99% of production guitars are right-handed only.
Quote by byebyethehihi
Google is your friend (as is the search facility on here).

Hearing how much people love their guitars on their honeymoon period is nothing compared to actually trying the guitars yourself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2014,
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/epiphone-les-paul-custom-pro-left-hand-ebony/57308

this is what im really set on at the minute, just as you say its getting hands on and having a play, theres a few music stores about but the selection of left handers on stock is always a bummer, you normally end up with a cheap entry level guitar, a couple of acoustics and then something ridiculous thats either completely out of price range or you wouldnt be caught dead playing....

as for google being my friend... noooo google is my enemy lol iv scoured forums, youtube vids and sale sites, if you look at gak and get up the left hand selection its just wow and throws you even further back, and like whats also been said, everyone purchases something and it becomes the best thing ever, i still love my guitar to bits, but its coz i dont know any better, nobodies ever told me its a bad guitar to be fair and one of my mates who when i see him loves it and has bought one since.....

but yar the one above is the one iv pretty much set my eye on, with no hands on , no real reviews or feedback of it, sooooo i guess if anyone has any experience or words of wisdom on that one that would also be great
Quote by T00DEEPBLU

Hearing how much people love their guitars on their honeymoon period is nothing compared to actually trying the guitars yourself.

Well, yes, and I agree 100%, but that is not what I meant. The OP stated he hadn't heard of either and I was encouraging him to check them out.

If you read my original post you will see trying guitars out is exactly what I do, all I was trying to do was make suggestions based on the type of guitar/music he favours. I don't know what local guitar shops he as, or what they stock but if either of the above are in a store close to him I would recommend he gives them a go.

Good luck in your search Andy.
Its this reason among a few others that everyone tells a guitar player to play right-handed, even if they're left.

Personally I've played a lot of Epiphones, including the model you're looking at. All Epiphone LP Standards and Customs are for the most part the same guitar, except for a few cosmetic differences. Most of them are fine, I've played good ones, I've played bad ones. It's really important to try guitars before you buy them, but obviously in your situation that isn't possible. :/

The only thing you can really do is buy the guitar online through a site that has a good return policy, in case you don't like the guitar. Thomann and GAK are good.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
il try and get out at the weekend and have a ride round a few shops see if they have anything similar, i did start learning right handed but it just didnt work lol, and now if i go back to a right hand it just feels dreadful, im too set in my ways haha

when you say you have played bad ones, what do you mean by that, build quality? sound quality? overall feel etc
Finish defects, uneven frets and dodgy wiring are the most common problems with affordable guitars.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
gotta say the only issue iv ever had is on my current guitar the jack output was always coming loose until the wire snapped inside and it took a right effort to get it back out and solder it back together n keeping the nut tight
If you put a star washer on the inside of the jack plate, that will prevent the jack from loosening.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Im a leftie thats played right for 10 years.
So glad i forced myself to play right handed because most guitars are a lot cheaper (specially 2nd hand)

Myself, id probs go for the LTD, but maybe look for a 2nd hand EC401, if you want the les paul shape, or a M/H/MH series guitar if you want a super strat.

But overall, walk into guitar shops, and ask to play left handers out of your budget and in your budget just to get a feel of everything really.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals