I'm a fairly novice guitar player and I've grown very dissatisfied with the Marshall MG-50 that Guitar Center sold me. It sounds alright for some things but the build quality is terrible.

My main problem is that its nowhere loud enough to be a performance amp but at 50lbs it's a bit bulky to be something that's only a practice amp, especially since I need to move it around a bit.

Anyway, Orange has those borderline novelty hybrid Micro Terrors, so I've been thinking of snagging one of those along with a 1x8 cab just for bedroom riffing and in the future once I have the cash to get a bigger cab I can just stick it on top of it when I need to.

Does anybody have any experience with those?
The Micro Terror has a tube preamp and a 20 watt solid state power amp. If volume is your concern, I expect you would do better off elsewhere.
Quote by Helicopters!
The Micro Terror has a tube preamp and a 20 watt solid state power amp. If volume is your concern, I expect you would do better off elsewhere.

Volume isn't my concern. Quite the opposite. If I'm gonna get an amp purely for practicing (which is what I need right now), I want it to be really light and small.
That would do then.
What tone are you after in particular, what's your budget, where are you located and will you need an amp for gigging too.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
That would do then.
What tone are you after in particular, what's your budget, where are you located and will you need an amp for gigging too.

Not really performing live at the moment, but I have been looking at Mesa Boogie's wares as I mostly play rock and metal and whatnot.
a 12" speaker i imagine would be a huge upgrade. really could open her up.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
if all you're interested is bedroom riffing, the micro terror will do. agreed on the 12" speaker instead of the 8" - maybe like a harley benton cab, it's got great speakers in it for the price you pay for the whole thing.
buy as harley benton 1x12 or hell 2x12" for future plans. worst case you sell the micro terror and have a nice cab for something else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
+1 on 1x12.

Micro terrors sound boxy as fuark with the 8incher. I don't know your budget but consider a Tiny Terror too. Bedroom levels but you can crank them for jam worthy volumes if you don't need clean cleans
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I own a Micro Terror and I think it's a good choice for you. I got mine as part of a prize package for winning a local guitar competition last summer, which was great because I was thinking about buying one anyway.

It will certainly fit your practice needs, and despite what some speculate, it's more than capable of handling gigs and practices with a band. I actually used mine for a gig last month when I wanted to travel light, and not only did it have more than enough volume through a 1x12 to do the gig unmiced (small venue), it sounded pretty good as well. Plus, when you decide to get a bigger, better amp and start gigging, the Micro is a great inexpensive backup amp that takes no effort to haul to gigs.

Stay away from that 1x8 cabinet like it's the plague. Do yourself a favor and pick up a 1x12 or 2x12. I can't stress this enough.

By the way, what genres will you mainly be focusing on? The Micro is more straightforward Rock/Classic rock voiced and has a medium amount of gain on tap. Keep in mind that it's tone shaping capabilities are limited to the single tone knob as well. I'd suggest looking into a decent overdrive pedal if you find yourself wanting more gain. You may even look into an EQ pedal at some point if you want more tone shaping options. I know the next time I decide to take the Micro to a gig, I'll probably take along a cheap Behringer 7-band EQ I used years back as a solo boost to allow me to tweak a bit more in depth.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Thanks for all the advice! Believe me, the only reason I'm even considering the 1x8 is because I'm currently not working (College Student). I know it sounds... well... not good. Almost like a toy.

My primary genre is heavy metal so I'm aware that it wouldn't quite deliver on that front but I also play Rock and Blues quite a bit.

On the subject of a 1x12, any advice on a specific cab? I love the way Orange's cabs look but I'm not sure if that would be the best option. $400 for a 1x12 is fair I suppose, but as I said I'm a bit short on cash. That's kind of why I was looking at the 1x8, use it to practice now and get a 1x12 when I can. I'd have to eat that loss though as I don't think I could sell that to anyone in good conscience. (Or at all)
Quote by ShinyChocobo
Thanks for all the advice! Believe me, the only reason I'm even considering the 1x8 is because I'm currently not working (College Student). I know it sounds... well... not good. Almost like a toy.

My primary genre is heavy metal so I'm aware that it wouldn't quite deliver on that front but I also play Rock and Blues quite a bit.

On the subject of a 1x12, any advice on a specific cab? I love the way Orange's cabs look but I'm not sure if that would be the best option. $400 for a 1x12 is fair I suppose, but as I said I'm a bit short on cash. That's kind of why I was looking at the 1x8, use it to practice now and get a 1x12 when I can. I'd have to eat that loss though as I don't think I could sell that to anyone in good conscience. (Or at all)

where are you located? in the US proabably avatar or white box, you get custom colors for everything and speaker choice they are hard to resist. i bought a used one. definitely solid

i have two orange 2x12" and they aren't cheap.

mesa theile cabs are supposed to be great. never tried one, but i have a feeling they aren't cheap either

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

http://www.whiteboxeng.com/brands/WhiteBox.html <---- not as good as i remembered them being. would go avatar, for a semi custom type thing.

really there aren't a ton of 1x12"s cheap, and if you find one it has a shitty speaker.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 31, 2014,
Okay cool, I'll check those out. From the looks of things it might be more cost effective to get a 2x12 than a 1x12. While that definitely defeats the purpose of portability, at least I could use those live.

Out of curiosity, anybody use a Laney Ironheart? I'm in the US so I can't really try one but I like what I've heard. The Ironheart cabs are also suspiciously cheap. It's way more affordable than a Mesa and would be perfect as a long-term solution to my amp needs.
My friend owns a Lionheart 4x10 combo. Can't say anything about the cabs, but the combo sounds terrific.
Quote by ShinyChocobo
Okay cool, I'll check those out. From the looks of things it might be more cost effective to get a 2x12 than a 1x12. While that definitely defeats the purpose of portability, at least I could use those live.

Out of curiosity, anybody use a Laney Ironheart? I'm in the US so I can't really try one but I like what I've heard. The Ironheart cabs are also suspiciously cheap. It's way more affordable than a Mesa and would be perfect as a long-term solution to my amp needs.

i think i have only seen a handful of laney's over in the US.

i would advise 2x12" but if you have a budget to stick someday you may find it useful to have a 1x12."

there are no harley benton anything on this side of the pond.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
yea get a 2x12 for sure. perfect for nearly any occasion. turn cab on side for maximum swagger.

one of my bandmates has a micro terror and gets gig worthy volume and tone with a valveking 4x12 cab and a tube screamer. worth the price easily.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::
Quote by ShinyChocobo

I like the Laney cabs. They're generally robust and fairly light and compact. I think their cabs can be quite small compared to others (like the size of orange and mesa cabs) although I haven't compared them side by side, but that's the impression I got.
In terms of stock speakers, go for the Lionheart 4x12 (G12s) or the GS412 PS or PA (V30s) if you can. Those are solid speakers. If you can, take a look what what's loaded in the physical cab because I think speakers can vary from cab to cab even if they're in the same range....and that can be the difference between an average 70/80 and a heritage speaker
I would say your best bet would be to just go ahead and get a 2x12. Avatar is probably your best bet for the cash.

For pushing the MT into higher gain territory on a budget, I'd suggest looking into the Digitech Bad Monkey OD or another OD with more than just a single tone control. When I use my MT for rehearsals or a gig, the Bad Monkey is the OD I use to get to my dirtiest tones.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Avatar looks like it might be my best bet. Great value for the cash from what it looks like.

It's also nice to hear that the Micro Terror is actually usable for gigs! You definitely wouldn't think so from the size.
Yeah, for small to mid sized venues it would be fine. As I said, I've done a gig unmiced with it, and it never struggled to be heard. That was with a 1x12.

You may want to consider something like a 10-band EQ if you want more tone shaping capability than a single tone knob. Sonically, I think the MT stays pretty true to the sonic direction of the Tiny Terror. The TT is of course a better amp, but you can tell the Micro is from that family tree.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Yeah. I'll want some pedals regardless, but I do eventually want to just get a bigger amp. I like what I've seen of the Iron Heart. Might go for that eventually so I'd probably want to get a cab that would sound good with that.

Laney's Ironheart cabs are priced really low but I'm not sure what speakers they have.
I've never heard of the "HH Custom Designed" those specs show, but I can't imagine they're anything special. They might be okay, but for a few bucks less you can get Vintage 30's a 2x12 Traditional Avatar (or Creambacks, but you'll want the 30's), and you choose the grillcloth as well. It's a much better deal and it's going to sound better.
Quote by Zeppelin71
I'd have to agree. Those Vintage 30's do sound great. I think I'll probably shop around a bit more just to make sure but I'll probably end up getting an Avatar 2x12. That is a fantastic deal.

Thanks for all the advice!