Hi guys. I'm playing bass for about 3 years and for now i was playing on basses that I loaned form my friend. I play in a band, where we are playing covers of metallica, RHCP, arctic monkeys...

But now I'm starting a new band. We are going to play covers of RHCP, Rage against the mashine, Audislave, Tool, Breaking Benjamin and so on. So I'm thinking of buying a new guitar...

I played on a 3 different basses, one was 5-string. All of them were/are low cheap quality. While I was using 5-string bass I wasn't sure if I really need that 5 string so I think that 4-string would be enouf.

I'm looking for guitar with more jazz sound. But on other hand I need a sound similar to the sounds of those bands (especially RHCP and Tool). But here's the problem..I have no idea what to bay.. :/

Any suggestion what to buy? Any advice would be much appreciated

blazeem
You could always start with a Fender Jazz Bass. Go from there. The pickups are pretty versatile.
What were the basses you borrowed? Did you like the feel of any of them at all?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
the first one was harley benton, second was Ibanez series GT i think, and now I'm playing on Ibanez GSR200B. The GT series Ibanez had the best sound but still not the exact what I want.

I was just looking at Sterling by Music Man Ray34 and Sterling SB14.. what do you think?
If you're covering RHCP, can't go wrong with a Music Man. They look good, but playing them is the big test. Have you tried them yet?
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
If you're covering RHCP, can't go wrong with a Music Man. They look good, but playing them is the big test. Have you tried them yet?

A Music Man would be a great choice for them. I think the bassist from tool use Wal's which feature MM/MM configuration. So if you can afford a music man do the MM/MM pickup configuration and it could cover both. If you got that kind of dough to throw down by all means. A Sterling by music man is a good cheaper option that I can think of for a solid mm configuration. Can't think of any other cheaper MM/MM basses the top of my head, I'm sure someone can.
Last edited by fudger at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by fudger
A Music Man would be a great choice for them. I think the bassist from tool use Wal's which feature MM/MM configuration. So if you can afford a music man do the MM/MM pickup configuration and it could cover both. If you got that kind of dough to throw down by all means. A Sterling by music man is a good cheaper option that I can think of for a solid mm configuration. Can't think of any other cheaper MM/MM basses the top of my head, I'm sure someone can.

Wals aren't MM/MM but rather specially wired humbuckers. They sound completely different to anything else on the market. But there are some Tool songs (especially early Tool) that were played on a Stingray 5.

I'd say a Jazz bass of some description (the Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe series' can't be topped in value for money) is the most versatile you'll get. If you don't get on with Jazzes though, a Sterling by Music Man Ray34 or Ray35 depending on whether you want 4 or 5 strings.

pretentious small text, right justified signature
UG's professional coffee nerd
also UG's musical theatre nerd
roscoe's wetsuit
Personally, if I was looking at a versatile tone that could be used for RHCP, I'd consider an Ibanez ATK. Essentially a more all-round version of a MM.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
I played on Music Man on a gig once. Because it was on a gig I couldm't really ˝played˝ with the sound. At the beginning I need some time to get used to just one pick-upm but at the end og the gig I was already familiar with the shape and body of guitar.
Jazz basses and Stingrays have VERY different necks, so it's all about what is comfortable for you to use!
What kind of budget do you think you can stretch to, and what amp/ set up are you using?
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
I don't know..because it would be my first guitar I wouldn't go very high with the price...probably 400-600€.. and the other thing is that I'm from Slovenia (small country in Europe :P ) there could be problems with shipping.. :/
I have Ashdown five fifteen 100w..I'm satisfied with it's performance. The only thing I miss is output..