I just picked up a used beater guitar for kicks (an old 80's Hamer/Slammer HSS Strat-style). It's a little rough around the edges but it was dirt cheap so I figured why not

It has some potential to be a decent player but there was an obvious wiring issue when I picked it up. Sure enough the wiring under the pickguard is a mess (bad solder joints, frayed wires, way too much solder globbed all over the back of the volume pot, etc). I have enough lead wire from the pickups to clip them all and re-wire everything from scratch. But does anybody have any good tips for cleaning excess solder off the back of a volume pot? Is there some kind of melting / scraping method that works best?

I know I could just pick up new pots for cheap, but I might ultimately end up buying a whole new pre-wired pickguard setup for it anyway, depending on whether I like the existing pickups in it or not. So I'd rather not buy anything else for it (pots, etc) until I know whether I'm buying new pickups...

Thanks!
Current Gear:
2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard
'57 AVRI Fender Stratocaster
MIJ Fender Jaguar Special HH
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Quote by -MintSauce-
Get yourself a solder sucker, or some soldering braid. The sucker is your best bet though.

Yes plus one for the solder sucker. They're not very expensive and a really useful tool to have. Suck all the old solder off the joints and do them all again from scratch, if they were done badly to start with it's the best option by far. It will only take a few minutes and then at least you will know all the joints are good.
solder sucker and resoldering is best bet, especially if you say theres badly done soldering. if you prefer to not solder anything from scratch, the solder braid should be better for cleaning the excess.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Thanks for the tips! As I heated the solder and pulled the old wires off the volume pot most of the excess crap came with it. It actually wasn't as bad a job as it looked like it would be. Although I'm thinking of picking up a solder sucker just to have around for future projects.

On a side note, the guitar sounds 1000% better now. Seriously, WOW! It's really punchy and it sounds better than any $100 guitar has a right to sound, lol. The bridge humbucker sounds like a hot-rodded PAF, and the single coils sound a lot like Texas Specials. And even though it looks like your average Strat the neck is thin and fast like an Ibanez Wizard neck. This thing's a real player!
Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Pics!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Here you go... freshly cleaned, polished and restrung The color is like a burnt orange and the finish has a really deep metallic flake in it. It's hard to photograph though, the finish looks almost 3D in person. There are some bumps and scrapes on the body, and there's a small chip in the bobbin on the humbucker, but the wood is solid and it sounds great. And you can't really tell from the pics but the neck is wide / thin like an Ibanez. Right now the only things I plan to do on it are new tuners and straplocks. Other than that it's good to go. Not bad for about $100, huh?

Current Gear:
Marshall JVM410
Vox AC15 C2
Last edited by 57Goldtop at Jan 29, 2014,