People of The Pit!

I'm in the super early phases of planning a cross country roadtrip. I'd love to hit every state (except Alaska and Hawaii) and try busking.

I've read that New Hampshire doesn't require a permit or license (may be wrong), but

I'm finding it a bit difficult finding concrete information about where and where it's not legal and/or free.

Can anyone find or compile a list of the lower 48 states and whether a license/permit is required? I'd love you long time, forever haha
The problem is, it won't be a state by state basis, but a city by city/town by town basis.

Your "complete list" would have to included every single "street performance" ordinance of every municipality in the continental U.S. That's quite a long list, Holmes.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jan 28, 2014,
As far as I know as long as your on public property you can't get much more than someone saying you have to move along, I think its like freedom of speech. I dont think they can do much to you
I had to google what busking is. You won't make any money anywhere except for the coasts. Plan on that. I've never even seen a street performer in the 20 years that I've lived in Kansas City. Maybe if you go to Union Station or the Plaza, those are the ritzy areas, just pray that the flash mobs stay in Westport that night.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 28, 2014,
If you're not willing to take a little pepper spray and a billy club to the face, you shouldn't be beggi...errr...busking.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
busking should be illegal everywhere

I know it sounds fun and all, but it's really a lot of time, money, and effort to not really get anything out of it other than just the satisfaction of the whole thing. 48 states means that you're probably going to be out for at least a month, probably more due to the size of some of the big states.

And that is just assuming that you are only going to be playing in one city in each state. If you actually plan on playing in multiple cities in some of the larger states, that's going to be probably two or three months. Unless you plan on sleeping in your car for that long, you're going to have to find somewhere to stay each night.

Plus there is also tons and tons of gas involved. Literally tons. I mean, it's about 3000 miles to go coast to coast. For 48 states, you're talking well over 10000 miles. At 20 MPG, that's 500 gallons. At like $5 a gallon, that's $2500.

And that's just for 10000, which is the equivalent of of three trips and change coast to coast, and it will certainly be much more than that, maybe even twice as much depending on how you do it, and probably lower MPG than 20, so you could be potentially looking at 2000 gallons, with no real upward cap in sight.

Basically this is going to cost you a ton, and you won't make any money in that time. You would be lucky to make more than a few dollars a day, and that's assuming that you're either really damn good or really damn unique. And by unique I mean not just some other late teen/early 20s kid playing rock songs on a guitar.

Also keep in mind that you will be lucky to make anything at all if you don't sing or play some really good instrumentals. Like as much as I hate that Andy McKee kind of guitar playing, that apparently impresses people that don't play guitar.

I mean, I hate to crush dreams and all, but unless you have some other really good excuse for a road trip to 48 states besides busking, then this is really a bad idea, just from a financial point. And that's all assuming that you don't run into any sort of trouble such as running out of money (which may likely happen) or getting into an accident at some point.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by deadsmileyface
**** tha police

The good thing about that is that a policewoman knows how to handle a baton
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I doubt he actually plans to make much money from it, since he's backpackin'. I think you'd probably be fine in most cases and in the worst case they might ask you to leave.
Quote by awesomo41894
As far as I know as long as your on public property you can't get much more than someone saying you have to move along, I think its like freedom of speech. I dont think they can do much to you

That's where you are wrong. If you accept any money (even if you label it "donation") it is no longer "speech" but a commercial enterprise subject to various laws.

The lack of understanding of what "free speech" is boggles the mind..

Also, depending on the municipality, punishment can be anything from being told to "move along", fines, or possible arrest.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Jan 28, 2014,
Quote by the bartender
The good thing about that is that a policewoman knows how to handle a baton

No, policewomen are all lesbians.
Quote by TheChaz
No, policewomen are all lesbians.

Then how would they be able to produce more policemen and women? You can't explain that
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Jmoarguitar
I doubt he actually plans to make much money from it, since he's backpackin'. I think you'd probably be fine in most cases and in the worst case they might ask you to leave.

The point is that he wouldn't make enough for gas/food/basic hygiene and certainly not enough for any kind of lodging. No one is trying to say he's going to suffer sub-optimal returns on his 3rd quarter profits.

And is it really $5 for a gallon of gas? In America? I'd be upset, you guys, we go to war for the shit and you're paying $5. People don't buy gas in Kansas when it goes above $3.15
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Last edited by VanTheKraut at Jan 28, 2014,
A little education on busking, the first amendment, and our right of free expression.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2002250762_busker23m.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busking_%28U.S._case_law%29

How to guides:
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Money-Busking-%28Street-Performing%29
http://buskinghq.com/

If you choose your location carefully and exceed expectations of a street performer, no reason you can't make $100/day or more. It does require courage and really putting yourself out there but it's a lot of fun.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Mar 4, 2014,
Quote by VanTheKraut
I had to google what busking is. You won't make any money anywhere except for the coasts. Plan on that. I've never even seen a street performer in the 20 years that I've lived in Kansas City. Maybe if you go to Union Station or the Plaza, those are the ritzy areas, just pray that the flash mobs stay in Westport that night.

I've seen plenty of fancy street performers on the Plaza, but they had a whole setup with speakers and stuff, so they must have gotten some type of approval or even been asked to play.

Lawrence is where it's at for buskers, though. Legal or not, no one cares. There's people busking on Mass St. every day.

Just find the hippie capitol of each state and busk there. No one will bother you.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦