So up until recently i thought I was a pretty bad guitarist despite the fact that multiple people told me even strangers that I sounded pretty good so for the first time ever today i actually recorded a video of myself playing (which ive never heard myself play in third person, let alone an actual recording) and it turns that I actually sound pretty ok, so does listening while playing hinder your ability to objectively judge your own playing? being own worst critic doesnt help either
It probably does because most of your attention is devoted to playing properly, rather than listening to yourself. that being said, if you're the kind of person who kids yourself (or just doesn't have the ability to effectively critique your, or anyone else's, playing, the old dunning kruger effect comes to mind) I imagine that would raise its head whether you're listening as you play or listening to a recording of yourself.

But yeah normally listening to a recording, at least every so often, is a good idea. At least that way all of your attention is on listening.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think to a certain extent, hearing your guitar alone without any music behind it can make you sound worse than you actually are. When everything comes together and you listen to yourself playing along with a band or backing track you sound so much better.

If you listen to isolated guitar tracks of your favourite songs you can hear pick scratching, early note releases, bad timing etc... But you don't really notice them in the actual song! (That doesn't mean that you should play sloppy and hope that the rest of your band covers for your mistakes though )
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
That's also a good point.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It was the same, I'm still fairly new and after doing a recording for the first time by itself I was iffy about it, put the song behind it and it sounded a LOT better. The other thing to consider too is that you will hear your mistakes a lot more than other people will and you won't even really hear them when played back. If you're anything like me, your biggest critic is yourself
Every time I think I am sounding half way ok, I record myself. It brings me back to reality real quick. I think if you are honest with yourself, it's a valuable tool. If you think you are skilled at 8 months, it ain't going to help.

But yeah, isolated tracks were a real eye opener for me.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I am sometimes ashamed and sometimes amazed by myself.

A big number of people think that Justin Bieber is a legend. Others don't.

The crowd is most often the judge, but the majority of people in our world is slightly ******ed, so you shouldn't always trust them.

It depends on what you wanna do.

If you wanna fascinate people, listen to their wishes.

If you wanna fascinate yourself, listen to your heart.
It does, i've recorded stuff and thought that was good and listened to it back and it was terrible haha it's because you're concentrating on playing not listening to what you're playing
"Music Without Emotion Is Like Food Without Flavour"
Paul Gilbert
Recording is a good judge since it doesn't lie. I've closed audacity in disgust at what I was hearing but later when I recover the recording I though "Wow this actually shreds". You can be too hard on yourself, It's just one of those things. Everyone can always be better, cleaner and faster.

Also take what an unaware says with a grain of salt, I showed my Dad a basic 12h14p12h14 etc and he couldn't believe it.
This is very encouraging stuff. Many people find listening to themselves quite a sobering experience because they don't sound as good as they thought they did - particularly with regard to timing. Although it's great that you feel good about your playing, it's a good idea to use listening back as a means to identify how you could improve further. Eg: Could your timing be a little better? Could your vibrato be a little exciting/sensitive/etc.